Re: Memories

Christine Forsyth <cforsyth1@...>

Hello Herman,

Do you have Nyanaponika "Abhidhamma Studies: Buddhist Exploration of
Consciousness and Time" ? I can't find my copy at the moment to
check - but see the paragraph beginning "Nyanaponika's two core
essays are prefaced by three shorter pieces" in Rupert Gethin's
review in the Journal of Buddhist Ethics:
http://www.jbe.gold.ac.uk/7/gethin001.html
I'll have a look on line - but don't expect to find it.

metta,
Chris

--- In dhammastudygroup@..., "Egbert" <hhofman@b...>
wrote:
Hi Chris and everyone,

Just as an addendum to my previous post. Is the following text
available on line anywhere?

The Omission of Memory in the Theravadin List of Dhammas: On the
Nature of Sanna by Nyanaponika Thera

Kind Regards

Herman

--- In dhammastudygroup@..., "Egbert" <hhofman@b...>
wrote:
Hi Christine,

Good to hear from you.

==

--- In dhammastudygroup@..., "Christine Forsyth"
<cforsyth1@b...> wrote:
--- In dhammastudygroup@..., "Egbert"
<hhofman@b...> > I
think there might be a rough equivalence between memory and
sanna,
which receives almost no attention in the entire tipitaka.
Which is
very curious, considering how it is our entire existence.

Kind Regards
Herman
Hello Herman,

Are you meaning that memory receives almost no attention in the
entire
tipitaka ... or the rough equivalence between memory and sanna
receives almost no attention?

My understanding is that Sati is memory and that sanna is
perception.
I believe there to be plenty about Sati in the Tipitaka.
==
I "remember" sati to be awareness or mindfullness, but I am very
happy
to be wrong about this. I agree there is heaps in the Tipitaka
about
sati. Do you remember the Buddha :-)

My meaning was that memory (which allows me to type this post, to
conceive of me and you, and to concoct something about the
Buddha)
receives almost no attention in the Canon.

All the best

Herman

metta,
Chris