Re: Zoom CN Dhamma discussion Aug. 20th: Innermost

Sarah Abbott

Edited

Azita

Az: thank you, I've just learnt something new about hadaya, did not know before this that it is a synonym for citta.
I apologise for the disruption to discussion on Sun.  I probably should not have turned on video while having a curious 5 yr old sitting on my knee :(   in fact I hardly heard anything of the discussion  because there was quite a bit of activity going on around me.  Just wanted to see you all.
S: We were glad to see you and your grandchild too!

Re my query on Saturday, the passage I read was from the Guhatthaka Sutta:
           One should take nothing as "mine" :  having abandoned taking things as mine on account of craving, having relinquished taking things as mine on account of views, one should not take as mine, the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body or mind.......
            the first five, eye etc I take to mean rupa which is why I wondered what mind would be. If it means the eye base etc then I assume it must mean heart base.   However if it means the citta which sees etc  than it does mean all the other cittas that do not arise at the sense bases.    Have I got this right?
S: B.Bodhi's translation in Sn is rather different. I suppose it is these lines:

777. See them trembling over things taken as “mine”
like fish in a depleted stream with little water.
Having seen this too, one should take nothing as “mine,” not forming attachment to states of existence. (6)

Here's a commentary note given:

"One should take nothing as “mine”: Having abandoned taking things as “mine” on account of craving, having relin-quished taking things as “mine” on account of views, one should not take as “mine” the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, or mind; forms . . . tactile objects, or mental phenomena; family, group, abode, gain, fame, praise, pleasure, robes, almsfood, lodging, or medicinal requisites; any realm of existence or mode of existence—in the desire realm, the form realm, or the formless realm—in the past, future, or present, whatever is seen, heard, sensed, or cognized"

S:  I
t says "one should not take as “mine” the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, or mind; forms . . . tactile objects, or mental phenomena",
 these refer to the 12 āyatanas, the inner and outer dhammas we've been discussing recently. The inner āyatanas are eye-sense, ear-, nose-, tongue-, body- and all cittas included in manāyatana (translated here also as mind). The outer āyatanas are visible objects, sounds, odours, tastes, tactile objects and cetasikas and subtle rūpas all included in dhammāyatana (translated here as mental phenomena).

Sarah