Re: Zoom CN Dhamma discussion Aug. 20th: Innermost

alberto

Hi Lukas,

Lukas: I wonder if we can call pure, or light as 'BUddha nature'? Because in unortodox Mahajana they say 'Buddha nature' I reckon. So the doctrine of Mahajana(In Kathavathy opposite group to later Vibhajavana if me correct?) in Mahajan there is a concept of 'Buddha-nature'. So Can we say cittam pandaram and this may be what later schools means by their interpretation of panadarm citta as Buddha nature? I am not looking for a compromise or peace in between those two schools, but I am asking to understand more what Buddha meant in Kathhavathu about wrong views obviously. So Buddha nature is barely a concept of later traditions, but I trying to understand, for what meaning Buddha nature really has.? As Than Ajahn said, about citta is pure without akusala cetasikas. And concept of Buddha nature refers to something, I reckon, like there something primarily in the dhamma(a person) that is pure and not influanced by any unwholesome ness. So I wonder if there is any connection, and what is the meaning of Buddha-nature?

A: I've read DSG only after the Zoom discussion, sorry, I'll try to answer myself...
In Tipitaka the word Buddha refers to any enlightened being: Sammasambuddhas, the perfect ones who have accumulated parami to the topmost limit: to the level that they attain enlightenment by themselves and can teach what they've enlightened to others as well, the Paccekabuddhas who have accumulated parami to the level that they enlighten by themselves but not quite to the level that they can teach what they've enlightened to others, and Savakabuddha those who have accumulated just enough parami to penetrate the 4 truths by listening and developing the teachings as explained by a Sammasambuddha. Will any of us here ever be a Sammasambuddha? I doubt it, a Paccekabuddha? A bit more likely (just a bit :), a Savakabuddha? it's such a long long way ahead, who can know? only a Sammasambuddha.

Lukas: Innermost, what was that in Vibhanga? The term for inner most, hadaya? It must be only that in this case while instances of cittas are so compassionate explained by Thathagatha. This cannot be confused with ajjhatta/bahiddha. So only innermost means hadaya I think , like heart, aint it Alberto?

Yes I think so too, like in the heart of the matter... innermost!

Sorry to hear about your health problems, try to take care of yourself the best that you can!

Alberto