Re: Memory

christine_forsyth <cforsyth@...>

Hi Rob M,

While waiting for others with knowledge to reply, this small part was
one of the questions that King Milinda asked:

"On the other hand, I understand that if I
commit matricide or patricide, then it is pre-determined that I
will
end up in a woeful state when I die. If I commit matricide at the
age of 20 and live 50 more years, what is it that "remembers" my
act
and stands ready to jump into action for fifty years, waiting to
send me to a woeful state?

I'm afraid that "memory" is being escalated to the level of "free
will" in terms of my lack of understanding!

Thanks,
Rob M :-)"
"Where, Venerable Sir, is Kamma?" questions King Milinda of the
Venerable Naagaseena. "0 Mahaaraaja," replies the Venerable
Naagaseena, "Kamma is not stored somewhere in this fleeting
consciousness or in any other part of the body. But dependent on mind
and matter, it rests, manifesting itself at the opportune moment,
just as mangoes are not said to be stored somewhere in the mango
tree, but dependent on the mango tree they lie springing up in due
season."

Just as wind or fire is not stored in any particular place, even so
Kamma is not stored anywhere within or without the body. Kamma is an
individual force which is transmitted from one existence to another."
http://www.buddhismtoday.com/english/buddha/Teachings/008-kamma.htm

metta,
Christine