Topics

YaddNet Update

John Pumford-Green

Hello all,

Due to various personal circumstances I've been finding it difficult to stay on top of the admin required to run YaDDNet in the manner I was planning - with individual RX IDs being registered etc.

I had a heart attack last year which I seem to have recovered from completely, but I've recently been diagnosed with a new medical condition which leads to severe muscle pain and fatigue, and this new condition requires long term treatment with steroids.

On top of this I'm self-employed and can't afford to take time away from work if it can be avoided.

This means I have little time, energy, or enthusiasm, to spend trying to keep YaDDNet running correctly.

Therefore I have decided to remove the new constraint of "registered users only" as this requires me to spend time doing things on YaDDNet when I'd rather spend it on resting and working.

I now accept that anyone with a copy of YaDD or DSC Decoder can configure it to upload messages, with no checks on their RX ID.

I also will have to accept that at times some of the uploaded messages will be "wrong". In the past I've spent a lot of time trying to correct these "wrong" messages, to keep the database as accurate as possible.

I'm now abandoning this attempt, as it's proving impossible to keep up with.

YaDDnet will continue in the short term, with no access restrictions and with no attempt be me to maintain its accuracy.

If users send garbage then YaDDnet will contain garbage. Anyone who wants to study DSC traffic from YaDDnet will have to accept that it might contain errors.

In the longer term I'm likely to completely abandon running YaDDnet, and shut down the data collection server and the web-site.

In the meantime, it's "all yours"...

Regards,

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 at 12:51, John Pumford-Green <john@...> wrote:

Hello all,

Due to various personal circumstances I've been finding it difficult to
stay on top of the admin required to run YaDDNet in the manner I was
planning - with individual RX IDs being registered etc.
YaDDnet will continue in the short term, with no access restrictions and
with no attempt be me to maintain its accuracy.
In the longer term I'm likely to completely abandon running YaDDnet, and
shut down the data collection server and the web-site.
-----------------------------------
John/folks

I think I speak for everyone on the list, be they uploaders or not,
when I say that your health and wellbeing far outweighs the need or
desire to look after and generally cosset YADDNet. If it were left to
me to shut off its life support machine I'd probably do it at the end
of the month and get it over with pronto-type-quick rather than see it
(and you!) wheezing and suffering.

Get well soon Matey !

Rich

Calico

Hello John,

Sorry to read about the health adventure but thumbs-up on beating it and being back home.

Obviously recovery is of far higher priority than the site which some admin could possibly co-run.

With regard to fatigue, hopefully you can stay moderately physical active (with gradual warm-up and other relevant Physiotherapy guidance) so as to maintain your current fitness levels. If these drop, fatigue will worsen.

Chin up, I am sure things will get better.

Tim

On 25 Aug 2019, at 13:51, John Pumford-Green <john@...> wrote:

[...]

John

peter

On 25/08/2019 13:17, Richard Ware wrote:
On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 at 12:51, John Pumford-Green <john@...> wrote:
Hello all,

Due to various personal circumstances I've been finding it difficult to
stay on top of the admin required to run YaDDNet in the manner I was
planning - with individual RX IDs being registered etc.
YaDDnet will continue in the short term, with no access restrictions and
with no attempt be me to maintain its accuracy.
In the longer term I'm likely to completely abandon running YaDDnet, and
shut down the data collection server and the web-site.
Hi John,
Your health and well being is far more omportant than this hobby and I'd like to thank you for all the work and expert  input you've given over the years, certainly much appreciated by me..

All the best and take it easy.

Peter

david

John and all,

Rich certainly expresses my thoughts when he writes that your health and well-being should take absolute precedence over our own hobby database. YaDDNet is a wonderful resource, but it isn't worth getting poorly for. I, too, would prefer to see the database go rather than have it affect your health. {And, as a formerly self-employed type, I fully appreciate the implications of any form of illness.)

Thanks for letting us all know that you are still with us. We had been concerned about your silence, but I guess none of us wanted to intrude. Now that we know (some of) the cause, I wonder, again, if you have any way of sharing your YaDDNet load with others on this list. There is no reason for anyone to expect you to carry this load alone. But, if that is not possible, we would all prefer to see the database close while John continues, rather than the other way round.

Thank you for your work on YaDDNet, and for all the support you have given us. Now, it is time to put your own interests firmly to the fore.

Very, Very Best Wishes

David, GM8XBZ

Due to various personal circumstances I've been finding it difficult to
stay on top of the admin required to run YaDDNet in the manner I was
planning
<-->

ros.palermo@...

Hallo John,
I am very sorry to hear about your poor health, I hope you can recover as soon as possible ... "everything comes later", I would like to thank you for your commitment and expertise which has always been available to us all.
We are all with you.

Regards, Rosario

Vasily Matveev

Hi dear John!

I'm very glad to get msg after your long time silence.
Wish you recovery and healthy.
Hold on buddy!

73/55

from Russia with love.

 Vasily
RA1AMW

ra1amw@...

John Pumford-Green

Hello all,

Thanks for the messages of support etc.

I might follow Rich's suggestion, and pull the plug on YaDDnet sooner, rather than later, but in the meantime I'll just take a back seat and leave it running without any manual intervention.

I can't see an easy way of sharing the admin, it's setup to run on a PC in my shack, all the code is (badly/amateurishly) written in Python and PHP and certainly wasn't written with the idea of remote admin, so it's not straightforward to give anyone else the ability to make changes etc. as this would require them to have command line access and the ability to work with MySQL and Python (and some other linux stuff).

I ONLY JUST manage to remember how it all works myself, and how to make changes when necessary, and I wrote the stuff!

I'll keep an eye on the DSC List messages, and try to help when there's a question about message validity, errors etc. I'm not in such ill-health that I'm unable to work or tinker in hobbies from time-to-time, it's just that I have to prioritize where I do spend my energy, and maintaining YaDDNet is now at the bottom of the list!

Cheers for now,

John

peter

On 26/08/2019 07:31, John Pumford-Green wrote:

I'll keep an eye on the DSC List messages, and try to help when there's a question about message validity, errors etc. I'm not in such ill-health that I'm unable to work or tinker in hobbies from time-to-time, it's just that I have to prioritize where I do spend my energy, and maintaining YaDDNet is now at the bottom of the list!
Glad you'll be keeping a weather eye on the List John....

All the best

Peter

Calico

Hi John,

That’s the spirit, upward and forward. 👍🏻

As long as it gives you joy and not takes away too much from you-after all it’s well understandable that it’s your baby, your brainchild.

Hope you escape a little now with increased physical activity - sedentary lifestyle (computers) is a whopping 60% risk factor regarding CHD.

73
Tim

On 26 Aug 2019, at 09:14, peter via Groups.Io <peterconway.ndb=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:

On 26/08/2019 07:31, John Pumford-Green wrote:

I'll keep an eye on the DSC List messages, and try to help when there's a question about message validity, errors etc. I'm not in such ill-health that I'm unable to work or tinker in hobbies from time-to-time, it's just that I have to prioritize where I do spend my energy, and maintaining YaDDNet is now at the bottom of the list!
Glad you'll be keeping a weather eye on the List John....

All the best

Peter

Dryden f4vrg

Very best wishes John, and thank you so much for what you have done for our hobby. 73 Dryden f4vrg

John Pumford-Green

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 13:17:35 +0000
"Richard Ware" <richardjware@...> wrote:

If it were left to
me to shut off its life support machine I'd probably do it at the end
of the month
Rich's suggestion of killing YaDDNet at the end of August seemed a bit
soon. I wanted to wait and see if the urge to maintain it, and keep the
hardware running etc. came back.

While my health is now much improved due to the medication, my
enthusiasm for continuing to run YaDDNet has run out and I've decided
to "pull the plug" at the end of October. At least it's had a 2 month
extension to its life-support.

Thanks for all the uploads and I hope over the 5 years that I've been
running YaDDNet it has been of some value to those who study DSC around
the world. It was never meant as a simple "log book" of stations heard
- that's what the excellent REU/RNA/RWW database is for - it was meant
as a repository of the actual DSC traffic.

There have been problems keeping the data "clean" - the attempt at which
I had to abandon recently due to the all too frequent examples of
garbage-in-garbage-out uploading.

Killing off YaDDNet will also remove the feed of received DSC Test
Requests for Snargate Radio 002320204 in Dover. They have had ample
time to set up their own system by now - my solution using YaDDNet as
the RX and a self-written server at the TX site controlling an Icom
IC-7200 transceiver for transmitting the replies, was only ever meant as
a stop-gap for them. Since the coverage of Snargate's TX under the
white-cliffs of Dover is so poor I don't imagine anyone is going to
miss them. The last thing I heard was that they have secured a new
remote hill-top site and are moving their own DSC transceiver there,
with a new antenna. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to
appear on the air....

I'll leave YaDDNet running until the end of the month and then turn it
off, close my network firewall ports that accept data from YaDD and
DSCDecoder and traffic to the YaDDNet webpages.

Cheers and thanks again. It's been a lot of fun setting it up and
expanding it over the last 5 years, but I think it's run its course now.

I can provide all the code (Python and PHP) and web-pages, as well as a
dump of the SQL database, to anyone who feels like taking on the job.

Cheers again,

John
GM4SLV

Richard Ware

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 16:58, John Pumford-Green <gm4slv@...> wrote:

While my health is now much improved due to the medication, my
enthusiasm for continuing to run YaDDNet has run out and I've decided
to "pull the plug" at the end of October.
---------------

John/folks

Thanks for the update. I think I speak for everyone who has and/or is
uploading traffic to YADDNet when I say a great big "Thank You" for
all the hard work you've put into building, hosting and maintaining
YADDNet over the years, both with the 'bits' that we can see and the
tinkering and fine-tuning going on behind the scenes that we can't

I'll miss it for sure.

Pleased to hear your health has improved. Great stuff.

Cheers
Rich (Dorset_UK)
Twitter: @Thesageofmilton

ros.palermo@...

I fully agree with Rich's words, we will always be grateful for all you did for our hobby John.
We will miss this useful resource very much.
It comforts us to know that your health is improved.

Best regards
Rosario

Hendrik J. Hamer

Thank you very much for your  afforts.
Wish you all the best!

Verzonden vanaf mijn Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

> me to shut off its life support machine I'd probably do it at the end
> of the month

Rich's suggestion of killing YaDDNet at the end of August seemed a bit
soon. I wanted to wait and see if the urge to maintain it, and keep the
hardware running etc. came back.

While my health is now much improved due to the medication, my
enthusiasm for continuing to run YaDDNet has run out and I've decided
to "pull the plug" at the end of October. At least it's had a 2 month
extension to its life-support.

Thanks for all the uploads and I hope over the 5 years that I've been
running YaDDNet it has been of some value to those who study DSC around
the world. It was never meant as a simple "log book" of stations heard
- that's what the excellent REU/RNA/RWW database is for - it was meant
  as a repository of the actual DSC traffic.

There have been problems keeping the data "clean" - the attempt at which
I had to abandon recently due to the all too frequent examples of
garbage-in-garbage-out uploading.

Killing off YaDDNet will also remove the feed of received DSC Test
Requests for Snargate Radio 002320204 in Dover. They have had ample
time to set up their own system by now - my solution using YaDDNet as
the RX and a self-written server at the TX site controlling an Icom
IC-7200 transceiver for transmitting the replies, was only ever meant as
a stop-gap for them. Since the coverage of Snargate's TX under the
white-cliffs of Dover is so poor I don't imagine anyone is going to
miss them. The last thing I heard was that they have secured a new
remote hill-top site and are moving their own DSC transceiver there,
with a new antenna. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to
appear on the air....

I'll leave YaDDNet running until the end of the month and then turn it
off, close my network firewall ports that accept data from YaDD and
DSCDecoder and traffic to the YaDDNet webpages.

Cheers and thanks again. It's been a lot of fun setting it up and
expanding it over the last 5 years, but I think it's run its course now.

I can provide all the code (Python and PHP) and web-pages, as well as a
dump of the SQL database, to anyone who feels like taking on the job.

Cheers again,

John
GM4SLV

Jay Law

Hi John

Although I have never used YaDDNet I can see that it is an amazing resource so please allow me to add my gratitude for your diligence over the years.

However, could I just take the opportunity to thank you for creating the DSC Guide, which as a newbie I found to be a fantastic document - so well written and formatted that I had no trouble whatsoever understanding this subject.

Great to hear you're on the mend too...

--
Best Regards & Good DX

Jay

fj nuijen

Hello John

Thank you so much for everything and i wish you the best of luck.

Best regards from NL8811

peter

On 23/10/2019 16:58, John Pumford-Green wrote
While my health is now much improved due to the medication, my
enthusiasm for continuing to run YaDDNet has run out and I've decided
to "pull the plug" at the end of October. At least it's had a 2 month
extension to its life-support.

Thanks for all the uploads and I hope over the 5 years that I've been
running YaDDNet it has been of some value to those who study DSC around
the world. It was never meant as a simple "log book" of stations heard
- that's what the excellent REU/RNA/RWW database is for - it was meant
as a repository of the actual DSC traffic.
Hi John,

While not a YaDDNet user I have followed the project over the past 5 years it has certainly generated a wide interest in DSC monitoring and will be greatly missed.

It is good news that your health has improved and we look forward to your own DSC logs and input  as time allows...

73,
Peter    g3ufi   RWW  DSC Editor

david

Let me add my thanks to John for everything he has done to help those of us
who wanted to try DSC reception. As well as writing the excellent guide,
John has always been ready to explain what was happening to anyone with a
query, and in crystal clear terms. That will be missed as much as the
database.
I'm pleased that John's health is improving, but when the enthusiasm fades
it is time to move on.
YaDDNet has run its course. I shall certainly miss the simple and elegant
way that it allowed me to produce a log. But most of all, I shall miss the
ready help that was available from the knowledgeable people here.

Best Wishes to you all
David, GM8XBZ

me to shut off its life support machine I'd probably do it at the end
of the month
Rich's suggestion of killing YaDDNet at the end of August seemed a bit
soon. I wanted to wait and see if the urge to maintain it, and keep the
hardware running etc. came back.

While my health is now much improved due to the medication, my
enthusiasm for continuing to run YaDDNet has run out and I've decided
to "pull the plug" at the end of October.

Calico

Hello all,
Just to add my good wishes for John who is doing well on his recovery-journey.
If the net is a meaningful engagement for him, he may miss it, even come back to it after a break-it’s something to wait and see.
How can one not also appreciate the many contributors who invested their time and expensive radio-systems to make this project a reality.
Happy radio times,