Topics

Wartsila Test, Drammen (MMSI 257999169)

Richard Ware

Hello folks

Whilst trawling through the YADDNet server I've come across what looks
like another Norwegian shore station masquerading as a ship.
Any MMSI with '999' in it automatically raises my suspicions that it
could be something unique

MMSI nr 257999169 shows on the myshiptracking dot com site as WARTSILA
TEST, located in a suburb of Drammen, Norway
According to Joe Google, Wartsila valmarine Drammen "is a major global
supplier of ship automation and navigation systems"

John, can you add this to the 'shore stations with ship MMSI numbers'
list please?

Cheers
Rich

peter

More good sleuthing Rich! I'll add it to the REU...

Regards
Peter

On 13/01/2020 22:54, Richard Ware wrote:
Hello folks

Whilst trawling through the YADDNet server I've come across what looks
like another Norwegian shore station masquerading as a ship.
Any MMSI with '999' in it automatically raises my suspicions that it
could be something unique

MMSI nr 257999169 shows on the myshiptracking dot com site as WARTSILA
TEST, located in a suburb of Drammen, Norway
According to Joe Google, Wartsila valmarine Drammen "is a major global
supplier of ship automation and navigation systems"

John Pumford-Green

Good one Rich,

I've added it to YaDDNet and updated all previous records.

On 13/01/2020 22:54, Richard Ware wrote:
Hello folks
Whilst trawling through the YADDNet server I've come across what looks
like another Norwegian shore station masquerading as a ship.
Any MMSI with '999' in it automatically raises my suspicions that it
could be something unique
MMSI nr 257999169 shows on the myshiptracking dot com site as WARTSILA
TEST, located in a suburb of Drammen, Norway
According to Joe Google, Wartsila valmarine Drammen "is a major global
supplier of ship automation and navigation systems"
John, can you add this to the 'shore stations with ship MMSI numbers'
list please?
Cheers
Rich

Rosario

Rich, excellent research work!

Thanks to John and Peter for the update.

Regards

Rosario

Richard Ware

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 at 22:54, Richard Ware <richardjware@...> wrote:

Any MMSI with '999' in it automatically raises my suspicions that it
could be something unique
-------------------

As a P.S to this, I set up an alert on the decoder this morning to
'ping' whenever it logs an MMSI number containing 3 consecutive
'nines'
About 5 minutes later, it pinged, with PC Norway (002570000) sending
an ACK to MMSI number 258999099 on 2177.0 kc/s
That call was logged about 8 mins after Norway National had sent an
ACK to Wartsila Test, no less.
Another Norwegian, and with all those 'nines' I'm sure it's another
shore establishment but I can't find anything more than that.
I suppose I could be cheeky and bang off an email to Wartsila asking
it it's one of theirs !

Onwards and upwards

Rich