Topics

VHF DSC Monitoring

Jay Law

Hi All

As I'm new to DSC and it wasn't invented when I was at sea....what software do you use to monitor 156.525?

I'm thinking like HF NAVTEX on YaND - I could use YaDD but any (coast station) signals would be UNIDs?

I can get RT weather updates from Stornoway CG at my QTH on Ch10 (I think...) This would probably be the only station I would get...

Might be worth a try...

Cheers in advance...
--
Best Regards & Good DX

Jay

Richard Ware

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 at 10:24, Jay Law <jaylaw99@...> wrote:

Hi All

As I'm new to DSC and it wasn't invented when I was at sea....what software do you use to monitor 156.525?
--------------------------

Jay/folks

Likewise, this DSC malarkey wasn't around when I was at sea. Happiness
was a Marconi Argonaut (the old one, not the SP version). About the
size of the average shed door (and just about about as sensitive)

I'm using the COAA DSC decoder software for VHF DSC
https://www.coaa.co.uk/dscdecoder.htm

The receiver is an ICOM IC-R6 handheld scanner and the antenna is
actually a home-brew VHF dipole for the airband, fed via a
multi-coupler to 5 receivers, of which the ICR-6 is one.

I've also used SeaTTY from the DXSoft website. On MF and HF, SeaTTY is
very sensitive and frequently picks up more error-free messages than
YADD and the COAA decoder but on VHF I find the converse is true. If
for example Solent CG sends an all-ships 'squirt' on Ch70 from each of
its remote sites, DSC decoder will pick up the lot but SeaTTY may only
get say 2 or 3 out of 5 so I've stopped using it.

Bear in mind that YADD doesn't cover VHF due to the different protocol

I'm located on the Dorset/Wiltshire/Somerset border. I can get good
signals from Solent and MIlford Haven CG, and Falmouth at a pinch, and
it doesn't take much in the way of lift conditions for Jobourg and
Gris Nez to manifest themselves, especially around 0500 and 0600 when
they do self-tests

It's all good stuff

Rich

Jay Law

Thanks Rich

I'll give that a try.

I only have a Diamond discone in the loft (the missus freaked out when I tried to bolt it to the old tv aerial mast!) - it wouldn't have survived the weather here anyway...

It works pretty well with transatlantic flights to about 150 miles range with my Bearcat, but I'll try DSC on the Airspy...

By the way - the last time I saw an Argonaut was in my fault finding exam....

--
Best Regards & Good DX

Jay

peter

On 26/07/2019 10:24, Jay Law wrote:
I'm thinking like HF NAVTEX on YaND - I could use YaDD but any (coast station) signals would be UNIDs?

Hi Jay,
I use Multipsk  http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm  for all my decoding needs and find the GMDSS module is very sensitive and has a nice graphic interface with various optipns it also has VHF included.  The free version has decoding limitations and the somewhat "cluttered" top of the screen maybe a bit offputting initially but results are excellent.

Best regards,
Peter

Jay Law

Great thanks Peter

I think I've seen screenshots of MultiPSK - 'Multi' being the operative word - as you say - the screen looked a bit cluttered...

I think I might do some comparisons with YaDD...

Cheers again