Topics

MMSI 000000000

peter

Hi all,

Recently Rosario mentioned logging MMSI 000000000 which I understand may be used for testing?  So my question is does the group want to have this uploaded to RWW/RNA/REU as an UNID or not?

Best regards,

Peter    Co-Editor for DSC signals.

John Pumford-Green

On 06/12/2019 11:43, peter via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all,
Recently Rosario mentioned logging MMSI 000000000 which I understand may be used for testing?  So my question is does the group want to have this uploaded to RWW/RNA/REU as an UNID or not?
Peter,

I'd rather not, as 000000000 is unlikely to belong to one single Unidentified station, but is probably used by very many pieces of equipment all over the world, and is not really a "Coast Station" at all.

I feel similarly about the other UNIDs that are absolutely NOT genuine coast stations (eg 000016100).

A Coast Station MMSI is "00" followed by a 3-digit MID. If the next 3-digits are not from the list of actual MIDs

https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-R/terrestrial/fmd/Pages/mid.aspx

then the station is a pirate, not an UNID coast station, and should be ignored.

Just my take on it,

GM4SLV

Rosario

Hi hall,

John's reasoning is flawless and therefore I share his opinion.

Regards

Rosario

Richard Ware

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 at 11:43, peter via Groups.Io
<peterconway.ndb=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hi all,

Recently Rosario mentioned logging MMSI 000000000 which I understand may
be used for testing? So my question is does the group want to have this
uploaded to RWW/RNA/REU as an UNID or not?
-------------------

I'm ticking the 'RATHER NOT' box as well, for exactly the same reasons
as John has explained.

Rich

peter

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and apologies for delay in replying.  Xmas duties getting in the way...

Well with just 3 replies  -  it would seem Rosario that 000000000 is not acceptable for RWW... I also agree with not logging  it.

In respect of John's suggestion and also concerning  those existing UNIDs that are already in the database. There were many of these UNIDs(Maybe an unfortunate radio term) when I took over the Editorship of the DSC logs, this inclusion has continued and more have been added during this time.

I have been checking through the RWW DSC database and presently there are 1008 entries and roughly 90 of these would be classed as UNIDs .  So if the membership feels that no more 'pirate' logs should be uploaded I'm quiite happy to go along .

More thoughts on the that and implications for present  RWW database?..

73,
Peter    g3ufi