Topics

yadd2map not showing ships

Brian Walker

I wonder if someone here could help me please. I have just returned to receiving dsc messages as part of my overall marine interest. In the past I
had no problem running yadd2map connected to YaDD and enjoyed seeing my spots on a map. Now I find that I can only view the received coastal stations, the ships fail to appear for some strange reason.  I have my setup for both YaDD and yadd2map as before, and as the author of yadd2map describes, but although my spots (including ships) are received by GM4SLV's data base I fail to get any ships to show on the map.  Has the configuration changed I wonder. or is there some silly thing I'm doing wrong.
Any help appreciated. Thanks in advace 
Regards Brian (G0HDI) 

Frans Vink

Brian,

Many are struggling with this. The MarineTraffic website has changed and therefore the ships can no longer be found. Only the developer of the YADD2MaAP can fix this.

Hope this helps,

Frans

______________________________________________________________________________________________

From: dsc-list@groups.io <dsc-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Walker
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 5:49 PM
To: dsc-list@groups.io
Subject: [dsc-list] yadd2map not showing ships

I wonder if someone here could help me please. I have just returned to receiving dsc messages as part of my overall marine interest. In the past I
had no problem running yadd2map connected to YaDD and enjoyed seeing my spots on a map. Now I find that I can only view the received coastal stations, the ships fail to appear for some strange reason.  I have my setup for both YaDD and yadd2map as before, and as the author of yadd2map describes, but although my spots (including ships) are received by GM4SLV's data base I fail to get any ships to show on the map.  Has the configuration changed I wonder. or is there some silly thing I'm doing wrong.
Regards Brian (G0HDI) 

John Pumford-Green

Hi Brian,

A lot of people have asked this question recently, and no answer has been provided by the author of yadd2map.

I've never used yadd2map, and have no connection with it or its author, but many people also have contacted me directly to ask the same thing.

Without knowing the method yadd2map uses to obtain ship information the following is just a guess....

I noticed at around the same time as the yadd2map problems were being reported that the automatic URLs I put on ship names on pages of yaddnet to take you to the ship's MarineTraffic.com page also stopped working. I found that MarineTraffic.com has changed the method of accessing vessel pages, and the simple "URL-with-MMSI" no longer works.

My assumption is that this has also broken yadd2map's vessel lookup functionality.

I changed some of Yaddnet's webpages so that they now point you to the vessel at https://www.myshiptracking.com/ instead.

For example looking at the 2MHz data http://www.yaddnet.org/pages/php/band_today.php?timescale=1&coast=%25&rx_freq=2 and clicking a vessel's name will take you to its page on www.myshiptracking.com instead of MarineTraffic.

I haven't updated all the pages yet, so the links under vessel names shown on some of the other pages still point to non-functioning MarineTraffic.com URLs.

It has been quite some time since this came to light, and I don't know if yadd2map has been updated to restore this feature, as I say - I don't use it.

Cheers,

John
GM4SLV

On 24/02/2020 16:48, Brian Walker wrote:
Regards Brian (G0HDI)

Brian Walker

Hi John, many thanks for your prompt reply and am happy now that it's not me having a senior moment re not getting yadd2map working right after all lol.
I did think, after playing with the settings and reinstalling from old pen drives etc to no avail, that maybe the author of yadd2map had not mofdified the software to take into account external conditions as it were.  I guess he has been too busy on other projects, or even lost interest in this one. Anyway, I'm glad to say my spots are going up to your database ok and I'm currently trying to find the least drawn out way to enter latest ship spots on my new bog. I like the facility of yours that allows saving my particular
24 hour list, but I can't seem to get it fit my blog in a scrollable form.  Here is a link to my blog anyway. See if something strikes you as obvious I could do that replaces the simple idea of uploading a latest spots map. Thanks a lot and 73 Brian
https://g0hdibrian.blogspot.com/

Brian Walker

Ok, many thanks for that Frans. I am convinced now it's nothing to do with my setting up, so guess it;s just wait and see if the author of yadd2map comes
up with an answer sometime. Cheers an 73 Brian..

claude

Hi 

I'm the developer of yad2mapp. A user have noticed me with this problem last week. 
Marinetraffic has changed the page where yadd2map get ship position and has closed the access to this page. The content of the page is now javascript generated and only web browser with javascript enabled can interpret the content
Trying to access the page directly give an "access denied" . Accessing ship position is now a paid service.
I am searching for another way to get real time ship positions but found nothing for the moment. Fleetmon use the same protection on his pages

Suggestionare welcome

Claude

Le lun. 24 févr. 2020 à 19:13, Brian Walker <darkjill247@...> a écrit :
Ok, many thanks for that Frans. I am convinced now it's nothing to do with my setting up, so guess it;s just wait and see if the author of yadd2map comes
up with an answer sometime. Cheers an 73 Brian..

Bruno

Hello Claude
thank you for the explanation .
what about vesselfinder ?
thank you for your interest to find a solitipn
bruno 

claude

Hi bruno

Vesselfinder use same protection as Marine Traffic
All these sites sell a key for their API allowing them to query their database.
I am looking into whether one of them will be good enough to provide a free key for limited use of their database for users of yadtomap

73s
claude

Rosario

Hi Claude,

Thanks for the complete answer and for the commitment to solve the problem.
I take this opportunity to thank you for developing Yadd2map.

Regards

Rosario

Vasily Matveev

I’m as well appreciate you dear Claude for your endowment for YADD project.

Thanks!
73/55

de RA1AMW
Op.Vasily

Отправлено из мобильной Почты Mail.ru

вторник, 25 февраля 2020 г., 13:04 +0300 от ros.palermo@... <ros.palermo@...>:

Hi Claude,

Thanks for the complete answer and for the commitment to solve the problem.
I take this opportunity to thank you for developing Yadd2map.

Regards

Rosario

Brian Walker

Hi Claude. Thanks for your explanation, and also for your program. I was wondering if you have tried myshiptracking.com as an alternative?
Good luck for the future anyway
Brian

Brian Walker

Hello again Claude. 02:21 and can't sleep lol, so I thought I'd mention something that logically might help you. Thing is I don't kow the first thing about programming
but I just noticed when I clicked on the Coast Stations tab in Yadd that this message is at the bottom of the box

By default, YaDD will resolve ship data from the file yadd_MMSI_ship.txt.
When data for a ship are not found in the file, YaDD can optionally get ship
data online from APRS.FI., and update the file accordingly.

For this to work, you need to apply for a API-key at <https://aprs.fi/signup/>
and enter/paste the key in the box below. The key is free, but required!
When no key is entered, ship data will only be retrieved from file.

I found this key on my free aprs.fi account and entered it in the box supplied in yadd, and saved it.

Now I'm wondering if this is an avenue worth you trying ie aprs.fi as an alternative data base  to marine tracking.
Just a thought Claude.
73 Brian

John Pumford-Green

Hi Guys,

With an API key for APRS.SI you can retrieve the ship data as a "json" packed list.

This is how YaDDNet obtains the information is has for ships - since YaDD itself only sends the MMSI.

I have a routine in YaDDNet that queries APRS.FI with the MMSI and parses the returned "json" formatted list to extract Ship Name, Vessel Type, Callsign.

The "json" list does also contains position information....

Sadly I don't think this will provide the solution for "yadd2map", as the information provided by APRS.FI regarding ship position isn't very reliable.

I tried to use the position information from the APRS.FI in YaDDNet but I found it was generally very old (often months out of date) - I don't know how APRS.FI gets its data, and how often it updates the position of each ship. The data you obtain via the API is of limited use if you're interested in a current position.

If yadd2map only wants to know the ship's name/callsign/type then APRS.FI is a solution. If yadd2map wants to know where the ship is, to plot it on a map, then I don't think APRS.FI is the answer - although it might be better than nothing?

Cheers,

John
GM4SLV

On 26/02/2020 02:30, Brian Walker wrote:
Hello again Claude. 02:21 and can't sleep lol, so I thought I'd mention something that logically might help you. Thing is I don't kow the first thing about programming
but I just noticed when I clicked on the Coast Stations tab in Yadd that this message is at the bottom of the box
By default, YaDD will resolve ship data from the file yadd_MMSI_ship.txt.
When data for a ship are not found in the file, YaDD can optionally get ship
data online from APRS.FI., and update the file accordingly.
For this to work, you need to apply for a API-key at <https://aprs.fi/signup/>
and enter/paste the key in the box below. The key is free, but required!
When no key is entered, ship data will only be retrieved from file.
I found this key on my free aprs.fi account and entered it in the box supplied in yadd, and saved it.
Now I'm wondering if this is an avenue worth you trying ie aprs.fi as an alternative data base  to marine tracking.
Just a thought Claude.
73 Brian

Brian Walker

Hi John.Thanks for that. As I said I'm not programming savi, but I was just using logic hi..Never mind, can't win 'em all. 73 Brian

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 26/02/2020 06:55 (GMT+00:00)
To: dsc-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [dsc-list] yadd2map not showing ships

Hi Guys,

With an API key for APRS.SI you can retrieve the ship data as a "json"
packed list.

This is how YaDDNet obtains the information is has for ships - since
YaDD itself only sends the MMSI.

I have a routine in YaDDNet that queries APRS.FI with the MMSI and
parses the returned "json" formatted list to extract Ship Name, Vessel
Type, Callsign.

The "json" list does also contains position information....

Sadly I don't think this will provide the solution for "yadd2map", as
the information provided by APRS.FI regarding ship position isn't very
reliable.

I tried to use the position information from the APRS.FI in YaDDNet but
I found it was generally very old (often months out of date) - I don't
know how APRS.FI gets its data, and how often it updates the position of
each ship. The data you obtain via the API is of limited use if you're
interested in a current position.

If yadd2map only wants to know the ship's name/callsign/type then
APRS.FI is a solution. If yadd2map wants to know where the ship is, to
plot it on a map, then I don't think APRS.FI is the answer - although it
might be better than nothing?

Cheers,

John
GM4SLV

On 26/02/2020 02:30, Brian Walker wrote:
> Hello again Claude. 02:21 and can't sleep lol, so I thought I'd mention
> something that logically might help you. Thing is I don't kow the first
> thing about programming
> but I just noticed when I clicked on the Coast Stations tab in Yadd that
> this message is at the bottom of the box
>
> By default, YaDD will resolve ship data from the file yadd_MMSI_ship.txt.
> When data for a ship are not found in the file, YaDD can optionally get
> ship
> data online from APRS.FI., and update the file accordingly.
>
> For this to work, you need to apply for a API-key at
> <https://aprs.fi/signup/>
> and enter/paste the key in the box below. The key is free, but required!
> When no key is entered, ship data will only be retrieved from file.
>
> I found this key on my free aprs.fi account and entered it in the box
> supplied in yadd, and saved it.
>
> Now I'm wondering if this is an avenue worth you trying ie aprs.fi as an
> alternative data base  to marine tracking.
> Just a thought Claude.
> 73 Brian
>

--
http://www.yaddnet.org/index.php