Topics

YaDDNet

John Pumford-Green

Hello all,

As many of you know I've been running an online database/website that collects DSC messages from people running Yadd (and DSC Decoder) for several years.

http://gm4slv.plus.com:8000/index.php

I've always hoped to make it a global repository of HF DSC messages that can be trusted as a reference of what is actually happening on the air.

In recent months I've been struggling to keep abreast of the "dodgy data" being sent from people who have misconfigured YaDD or their receivers (or both).

One common problem appears to be people who use one or more SDR instances, where the feeds from these SDRs going to multiple instances of YaDD get mixed up and the wrong frequency is then reported on messages.

Another problem is from people who enable YaDD's "scanning" feature without setting up their equipment so that the receiver itself actually scans. This leads to a receiver on a fixed frequency (usually 2187.5) giving messages being reported on all bands.

Yet another problem is when people change the frequency of a fixed receiver but fail change the band set on YaDD, or they change the frequency set on YaDD but fail to change the receiver.

I've spent far too much time trying to spot when these errors have occurred. At first I also tried to work out what had actually happened, and where possible to correct the data stored. In recent months, if I detect someone has been sending bogus data I no longer try to correct the error, I simply delete the data for the period I estimate as being affected by the error.

I've started keeping a list of the guilty parties, and have recently been trying to come up with a way to "Ban" those RX_IDs that are persistent offenders - by dropping their data as it arrives.

This isn't foolproof - especially for people who use multiple changing RX_IDs.

So, you, the community of YaDDnet users have now a choice to make:

Do you want me to turn YaDDnet into a closed system, where uploaders must register with me first and provide me with their choice of RX_ID? Any RX_ID not registered will then be prevented from uploading data. In this way I'll at least be more confident that the uploaders will take better care, and if I spot an error I'll know who to contact to get it fixed. At present I have no way to know who is behind any particular RX_ID.

OR

Do you want me to give up on caring about the accuracy of the reported/stored DSC messages?

OR

Do you want me to close YaDDNet?

OR

Have you another suggestion?

If we don't agree a solution soon then I'll implement the first of these options, requesting all uploaders to register with me in advance.

Regards,

John
GM4SLV

Richard Ware

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 at 12:21, John Pumford-Green <john@...> wrote:

Do you want me to turn YaDDnet into a closed system, where uploaders
must register with me first and provide me with their choice of RX_ID?

That would be my option #1

Do you want me to close YaDDNet?
Assuming you go for option #1, If the system still becomes too fiddly
and time-consuming to maintain then "yes"

Cheers
Rich (Dorset_UK)

Rosario

Hallo John,

I would choose option #1 .

73, Rosario

Thomas (tiNG)

Hi John and group.

I'd prefer solution #1 - a closed net for registered users. Although I'm not "on air" at the moment this seems to me the best opportunity.

If you decide for this option I'd like to know how to register.

Kind regards and sunny greetings from northern Germany.

--
Thomas (tiNG)
      Please reply to funkraum@...

fj nuijen

Also prefer option#1 a closed net for registered users.

73 from NL8811 JO33lb (Boven-Pekela North-Netherlands).

MarioLuciano

Hy John,
I would agree with option number one.
73
Mario

david

Hi John,

I would go for a 'closed' system.
Failing that, you have no choice but to close the Net down altogether. It is a hobby, and you don't need the stress.
Thanks for all your efforts to date. I hope we can keep the database going, but it needs to be a clean one. A small number of uploaders can easily destroy the value of it, if they are careless. It could be that there are a few who simply don't understand what happens when they tick a couple of boxes. I'm sure it isn't malice, but I don't know how to solve the problem.
As soon as you make something fool-proof, someone creates a better idiot.

Best Wishes
David, GM8XBZ

From : COAST 003669991 : Boston : USA
Tele 1 : TEST
Tele 2 : NOINF
Freq : --
Pos : --
EOS : ACK
ECC : OK

Time : 2019-07-02 04:05:43
Monitor : IZ8294SWL
Frequency : 2187.5 kHz
Format : SEL
To : SHIP 538006744 : SILVER ENTALINA, V7QV4, Tanker : Marshall Islands
Category : SAF
From : COAST 003669998 : New Orleans : USA
Tele 1 : TEST
Tele 2 : NOINF
Freq : --
Pos : --
EOS : ACK
ECC : OK

PLEASE take more care!

Regards,

John
GM4SLV

Rosario

Excuse me, John
in the future I will try to be much more careful.

73, Rosario
IZ8294SWL

r3w-594@...

Hello John.
Register my RX ID-R3W-594.
Thank.

John Pumford-Green

Hello,

I have added your RX to the list of allowed YaDDNet receivers. You can now upload to YaDDNet using R3W-594 as your RX_ID.

Please ensure that YaDD is configured to report the correct frequency.

Thanks,

John
GM4SLV
IP90GG