Re: New to DSC

Frans Vink

Paul,

DSC is primarily on MF and HF, 2187.5 4207.5 6312 8414.5 12577 16804.5. On these frequencies you can receive the world, depending on conditions. A wire antenna will do a pretty good job.  Lower frequencies are effective during hours of darkness between your QTH and the transmitter. The higher frequencies are the opposite, while 6 and 8 are effective 24/24.

DSC is also available on VHF, there you will be able to receive local traffic only. Your wire antenna is not going to be very useful for this. A dipole or discone antenna is probably a lot more effective.

Make sure you calibrate YADD in the signal/calibration tab.

Hope this helps,

Frans

______________________________________________________________________________________________

From: dsc-list@groups.io <dsc-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of w2eck
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 10:16 PM
To: dsc-list@groups.io
Subject: [dsc-list] New to DSC

Just joined Group and new to DSC and YADD. Somewhere came across a blog post by VE7SL and it caught my interest. Retired Navy and spent many years at sea - so want dig into subject a bit. I have a Flex 6600 radio and a fair wire antenna setup and live in Coastal Georgia. So wondering if between the Flex SDR and the YADD program I can get  a start in DSC listening. What freqs and time of day would be best in coastal GA? there is considerable maritime traffic in and out of Savannah Ga. 

thanks
Paul

Join dsc-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.