From: John Pumford-Green <gm4slv@...>
Date: 26/02/2020 06:55 (GMT+00:00)
To: dsc-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [dsc-list] yadd2map not showing ships

Hi Guys,

With an API key for APRS.SI you can retrieve the ship data as a "json"
packed list.

This is how YaDDNet obtains the information is has for ships - since
YaDD itself only sends the MMSI.

I have a routine in YaDDNet that queries APRS.FI with the MMSI and
parses the returned "json" formatted list to extract Ship Name, Vessel
Type, Callsign.

The "json" list does also contains position information....

Sadly I don't think this will provide the solution for "yadd2map", as
the information provided by APRS.FI regarding ship position isn't very
reliable.

I tried to use the position information from the APRS.FI in YaDDNet but
I found it was generally very old (often months out of date) - I don't
know how APRS.FI gets its data, and how often it updates the position of
each ship. The data you obtain via the API is of limited use if you're
interested in a current position.

If yadd2map only wants to know the ship's name/callsign/type then
APRS.FI is a solution. If yadd2map wants to know where the ship is, to
plot it on a map, then I don't think APRS.FI is the answer - although it
might be better than nothing?

GM4SLV

--
http://www.yaddnet.org/index.php