Re: yadd2map not showing ships

John Pumford-Green

Hi Guys,

With an API key for APRS.SI you can retrieve the ship data as a "json" packed list.

This is how YaDDNet obtains the information is has for ships - since YaDD itself only sends the MMSI.

I have a routine in YaDDNet that queries APRS.FI with the MMSI and parses the returned "json" formatted list to extract Ship Name, Vessel Type, Callsign.

The "json" list does also contains position information....

Sadly I don't think this will provide the solution for "yadd2map", as the information provided by APRS.FI regarding ship position isn't very reliable.

I tried to use the position information from the APRS.FI in YaDDNet but I found it was generally very old (often months out of date) - I don't know how APRS.FI gets its data, and how often it updates the position of each ship. The data you obtain via the API is of limited use if you're interested in a current position.

If yadd2map only wants to know the ship's name/callsign/type then APRS.FI is a solution. If yadd2map wants to know where the ship is, to plot it on a map, then I don't think APRS.FI is the answer - although it might be better than nothing?

GM4SLV

On 26/02/2020 02:30, Brian Walker wrote:
Hello again Claude. 02:21 and can't sleep lol, so I thought I'd mention something that logically might help you. Thing is I don't kow the first thing about programming
but I just noticed when I clicked on the Coast Stations tab in Yadd that this message is at the bottom of the box
By default, YaDD will resolve ship data from the file yadd_MMSI_ship.txt.
When data for a ship are not found in the file, YaDD can optionally get ship
data online from APRS.FI., and update the file accordingly.
For this to work, you need to apply for a API-key at <https://aprs.fi/signup/>
and enter/paste the key in the box below. The key is free, but required!
When no key is entered, ship data will only be retrieved from file.
I found this key on my free aprs.fi account and entered it in the box supplied in yadd, and saved it.
Now I'm wondering if this is an avenue worth you trying ie aprs.fi as an alternative data baseĀ  to marine tracking.
Just a thought Claude.
73 Brian