Re: DSC logs for the last week from North Carolina USA

Jay Novello

Sure, John - my reply has been rejected by the mail server multiple times, so I’m wondering if it’s something about the multiple tildes in the RAW FEC data.  Seems to me I remember a few decades ago with those causing problems with some variation of mailserver.

So I stuck the relevant portion of my YaDD log into a text file and put it on Dropbox for you to pick up and look at - here it is:

Thanks
Jay

On Feb 18, 2020, at 11:58 AM, John Pumford-Green <gm4slv@...> wrote:

On 18/02/2020 09:01, peter via Groups.Io wrote:
On 17/02/2020 13:31, Jay Novello wrote:
Reporting the Namibia 8414.5 UNID as logged, but I’m unsure if it's bogus or what - seems unusual?

Hi Jay,
It seems an unusual one and nothing listed for Namibia - possible bogus. Time will tell if there are more logs.
Regards,
Peter

Jay,

Can you look through the messages on your copy of YaDD and copy this one to the list, including the "RAW FEC" symbols? I'd like to see what you actually received, as it certainly seems dodgy, although on the face of it everything passed the error checking. This isn't impossible, the correct corruptions can still fool the parity and CRC checks, and it's always interesting/instructive to examine a bogus message to see what's happened.

I see from YaDDNEt that the vessel had just called Coruna a minute before:

    Time : 2020-02-16 21:37:07
 Monitor : ncjay
Frequency : 8414.5 kHz
  Format : SEL
      To : COAST 002241022 : Coruna Radio : Spain
Category : SAF
    From : SHIP 355320000 : KIRKEHOLMEN, 3FIV4, Tanker : Panama
  Tele 1 : TEST
  Tele 2 : NOINF
    Freq : --
     Pos : --
     EOS : REQ
     ECC : OK

and then you saw a reply from "UNID, Namibia":

    Time : 2020-02-16 21:38:23
 Monitor : ncjay
Frequency : 8414.5 kHz
  Format : SEL