Topics

Dionysus Install Issues

Jonathan C

Hello, 

My name is Jonathan. I'm a senior at UF helping a professor with their research. We would like to use Dionysus' Omni-field persistence but I'm having difficulty getting Dionysus installed.
As far as I understand I'm supposed to install Dionysus in the directory of the project. Am I mistaken? If so where should I install it and for the sake of learning, why? I'm not experienced with installing 3rd party libraries and stuff.

When I try to install Dionysus this error always pops up:

Command "/usr/bin/python -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-XT6nza/dionysus/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-4Ya_fj-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-XT6nza/dionysus/

Also of note, it says it can't find Boost, am I supposed to specify the path somewhere? 

Installed: 
I have installed Boost under Program Files/boost/boost_1_68_0.
GCC: Newest Version

Please let me know whatever other info you would need to assist me! 

Dmitriy Morozov

Hi Jonathan,

You don't specify it, but it sounds like you are using Windows. At least, "Program Files" suggests that to me -- correct me if I'm wrong. I unfortunately have almost no experience with Windows, and in particular I've never succeeded to compile and install Dionysus on Windows.

If this is happening on Linux or Mac, then I'd need to see more of the error, and strongly recommend that you install Boost in one of the standard paths (ideally, using your package manager).

Dmitriy

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 9:38 AM, Jonathan C <jlc3939@...> wrote:
Hello, 

My name is Jonathan. I'm a senior at UF helping a professor with their research. We would like to use Dionysus' Omni-field persistence but I'm having difficulty getting Dionysus installed.
As far as I understand I'm supposed to install Dionysus in the directory of the project. Am I mistaken? If so where should I install it and for the sake of learning, why? I'm not experienced with installing 3rd party libraries and stuff.

When I try to install Dionysus this error always pops up:

Command "/usr/bin/python -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-XT6nza/dionysus/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-4Ya_fj-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-XT6nza/dionysus/

Also of note, it says it can't find Boost, am I supposed to specify the path somewhere? 

Installed: 
I have installed Boost under Program Files/boost/boost_1_68_0.
GCC: Newest Version

Please let me know whatever other info you would need to assist me! 

Jonathan C

Dmitriy,

Yeah I am on Windows. Damn so I'll have to try installing Dionysus on a Linux machine or Mac OS? I believe UF has some dedicated Linux machines that are available to us for use so I will try to install it on one of those machines tomorrow. I'll let you know if that works any better! Also I only put Boost there because its where the Boost guide suggested. Thanks!

Jonathan

Dmitriy Morozov

Connor Brennan managed to compile Dionysus on Windows using MinGW. He wrote up some details here:

You could give this way a shot.

Dmitriy

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM, Jonathan C <jlc3939@...> wrote:
Dmitriy,

Yeah I am on Windows. Damn so I'll have to try installing Dionysus on a Linux machine or Mac OS? I believe UF has some dedicated Linux machines that are available to us for use so I will try to install it on one of those machines tomorrow. I'll let you know if that works any better! Also I only put Boost there because its where the Boost guide suggested. Thanks!

Jonathan

E. Noel Brown (SavageDuck) <enoelbrown@...>

Dmitriy/Jonathan:

I’d also like to submit these instructions for anyone who might want to try using a virtual Linux box through AWS. I wrote this for a friend who didn’t have access to a Linux box and after a full week of us failing to get Dionysus to compile on Windows.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MsKqW-TEqM8LZ-bK5j8mpF5BOEEYmNMbQGV-tKso1_E/edit?usp=sharing

The instructions will only be useful so long as the AWS features used in the guide do not significantly change or get stuffed behind pricey paywalls. But when I wrote it, the features were free to use on a 1-month trial basis, which we took advantage of.

Hope this helps,

Noel B.

From: dionysus@groups.io <dionysus@groups.io> on behalf of Dmitriy Morozov <dmitriy@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 9, 2018 4:38:57 PM
To: dionysus@groups.io
Subject: Re: [dionysus] Dionysus Install Issues

Connor Brennan managed to compile Dionysus on Windows using MinGW. He wrote up some details here:

Dmitriy

Dmitriy,

Jonathan

Dmitriy Morozov

Thanks for the pointer, Noel. Why do you want to use Dionysus 1? Do you need 2-D alpha shapes? If not, I'd highly recommend using Dionysus 2 + DioDe.

Best,
Dmitriy

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 4:04 PM, E. Noel Brown (SavageDuck) <enoelbrown@...> wrote:

Dmitriy/Jonathan:

I’d also like to submit these instructions for anyone who might want to try using a virtual Linux box through AWS. I wrote this for a friend who didn’t have access to a Linux box and after a full week of us failing to get Dionysus to compile on Windows.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MsKqW-TEqM8LZ-bK5j8mpF5BOEEYmNMbQGV-tKso1_E/edit?usp=sharing

The instructions will only be useful so long as the AWS features used in the guide do not significantly change or get stuffed behind pricey paywalls. But when I wrote it, the features were free to use on a 1-month trial basis, which we took advantage of.

Hope this helps,

Noel B.

From: dionysus@groups.io <dionysus@groups.io> on behalf of Dmitriy Morozov <dmitriy@...>

Dmitriy

Dmitriy,

Jonathan

E. Noel Brown (SavageDuck) <enoelbrown@...>

Dmitriy:

Oh right, sorry, I forgot to mention it was for Dionysus 1. I guess that is not very helpful for those trying to use Dionysus 2.

It was to allow for compiling a code sample on the Dionysus 1 page (the alpha shapes one mentioned in the Google doc), which was an assignment for a university project for my friend and her classmates. What Jonathan said about not being able to use third-party libraries on Windows, especially with using MingW and not getting Boost to install, reminded me of the challenge we faced, so I thought I’d share in case it proves useful.

It may not be related at all to what we were doing, so if that is the case, please disregard. But if it helps, then hey, great!

Regards,

Noel B.

Sent: Sunday, September 9, 2018 9:42:51 PM

Thanks for the pointer, Noel. Why do you want to use Dionysus 1? Do you need 2-D alpha shapes? If not, I'd highly recommend using Dionysus 2 + DioDe.

Best,
Dmitriy

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 4:04 PM, E. Noel Brown (SavageDuck) <enoelbrown@...> wrote:

Dmitriy/Jonathan:

Hope this helps,

Noel B.

Dmitriy

Dmitriy,

Jonathan

Jonathan C

Hi all,

First thanks for your help guys whether or not it ends up getting used. I've just finished installing Boost on Linux and I'm going to try installing Dionysus. Is there a specific place that I shoudl run the pip install command?

-Jonathan

Dmitriy Morozov

It shouldn't make a difference.

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Jonathan C <jlc3939@...> wrote:
Hi all,

First thanks for your help guys whether or not it ends up getting used. I've just finished installing Boost on Linux and I'm going to try installing Dionysus. Is there a specific place that I shoudl run the pip install command?

-Jonathan

Jonathan C

Hey I successfully installed Dionysus on a Virtual Machine Kali Linux distribution. If I'm having trouble actually using the functions should I continue to post on this thread or should I make a new thread for posterity?

Dmitriy Morozov

That's entirely up to you. 

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018, 11:05 AM Jonathan C <jlc3939@...> wrote:
Hey I successfully installed Dionysus on a Virtual Machine Kali Linux distribution. If I'm having trouble actually using the functions should I continue to post on this thread or should I make a new thread for posterity?