Schmidt Atlas locale abbreviations #atlas

Rob Kimmich

Does anyone know if there is a source that explains the abbreviations of the localities in the Schmidt Atlas? For instance, the included image comes from Band 1, tafel 14. I am particularly interested in "G. v. Mexico" and "Camp. Bai".

Rob

Rob Kimmich

John,

Thanks for the abbreviation suggestions. I will use the note by Hanna that the locations were not specific and will not spend too much time trying to figure them out!

I hope you find the digital index useful. Let me know if you find errors or have suggestions. It seemed worth building since the Atlas is such a global compilation of diatom forms. I successfully used it yesterday to find a match for a Campylodiscus I collected in Hawaii.

Rob

Raymond

I think Golf von Mexico (Gulf of Mexico) and Campeche Bai (Bay of Campeche).

Raymond

Op 23-9-2021 om 18:53 schreef Rob Kimmich:

Does anyone know if there is a source that explains the abbreviations of the localities in the Schmidt Atlas? For instance, the included image comes from Band 1, tafel 14. I am particularly interested in "G. v. Mexico" and "Camp. Bai".

Rob

Rob Kimmich

This makes sense. Thanks, Raymond.

Rob

Richard Carter

Rob,

Raymond is quite right in his identifications.  I would add that "Sandw. I." is "Sandwich Islands", an early name for Hawaii.  Not to be confused with the "South Sandwich Islands", which are in the South Atlantic, rather than the Pacific.

Does anyone know a convenient source for toluene, the solvent used in Zrax and Styrax?  I have tried paint stores with no luck, although I have read that it is a common solvent used in many types of paint.

Dick Carter

On Thursday, September 23, 2021, 09:53:11 AM MST, Rob Kimmich <rkimmich12@...> wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a source that explains the abbreviations of the localities in the Schmidt Atlas? For instance, the included image comes from Band 1, tafel 14. I am particularly interested in "G. v. Mexico" and "Camp. Bai".

Rob

Rob Kimmich

Dick,

Thanks for the confirmations and adding the Sandwich Islands. I understood "Sandw. I" as Hawaii but had to look up the southern islands you mentioned (Shackleton, penguins, toothfishes, and diatoms no doubt).

Rob