The microcosm of Edmonds! #collecting

Dave Richman

Mary Ann Tiffany and I are sorting through what we have found in our samples from Edmonds, Washington  parks. The variety is, as I suspected, huge. So far we seem to have at least Coscinodiscus, Detonula, Skeletonema, Chaetoceros, Stephanopyxis, Thalassiosira, Eucampia, and Stephanopyxis (all identified by Mary) from the Fishing Pier on Puget Sound, Fragilaria, Navicula and Ulnaria from Willow Creek, Stauroneis, and Thalassiosira? from Goodhope Pond, and Diatoma, Cymbella, and Navicula from Edmonds Marsh. That make up 14 genera, just of diatoms!  We also have various cyanobactera, flagellates, cilliates, green algae, a couple of water fleas, a copepod, a chironomid larva, a planarian, at least one worm species and on and on.

David Richman

sh

Rob Kimmich

Great diversity!

On 15-May-2021 22:00, Dave Richman wrote:
Mary Ann Tiffany and I are sorting through what we have found in our samples from Edmonds, Washington  parks. The variety is, as I suspected, huge. So far we seem to have at least Coscinodiscus, Detonula, Skeletonema, Chaetoceros, Stephanopyxis, Thalassiosira, Eucampia, and Stephanopyxis (all identified by Mary) from the Fishing Pier on Puget Sound, Fragilaria, Navicula and Ulnaria from Willow Creek, Stauroneis, and Thalassiosira? from Goodhope Pond, and Diatoma, Cymbella, and Navicula from Edmonds Marsh. That make up 14 genera, just of diatoms!  We also have various cyanobactera, flagellates, cilliates, green algae, a couple of water fleas, a copepod, a chironomid larva, a planarian, at least one worm species and on and on.

David Richman

sh

Dave Richman

Oops- repeated Stephanopyxis. How we have added several more genera since then and are now to at least 15!

David Richman

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 8:53 AM Rob Kimmich <rkimmich12@...> wrote:
[...]

Meant "However."

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 8:58 AM David Richman <tithonia65@...> wrote:
[...]

Macro Cosmos

Great diversity, lots of interesting diatoms.  I can't wait to see photos and SEMs of them.  This is exciting!
Speaking of that, I'll update my album tomorrow, many to add.

Kind regards,
Daniel

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 1:58 AM Dave Richman <tithonia65@...> wrote:
[...]

Mary Tiffany