initial cells #glossary

Rob Kimmich

After watching the webinar on June 9, further ideas for expanding the glossary came up, for instance, "initial cell". I used the search feature on diatoms.org which returned 13 entries and have found one image so far of initial cells. E.g., https://diatoms.org/species/craticula_acidoclinata. Click on the image on the left for more detail.

You can run the search yourself. On diatoms.org on the upper right click the magnifier. Enter "initial cell" and press Enter. Including the quotes will narrow the search. You can try "initial valve" also.

This would be an interesting term to add. It would need to be limited in some way because it brings in many aspects of the diatom reproductive cycle. Who knows? Maybe it will appear in the glossary some day.

Rob K

Mary Tiffany

I have some photos and SEMs I can share

On Jun 13, 2020, at 11:21 AM, Rob Kimmich <rkimmich12@...> wrote:

After watching the webinar on June 9, further ideas for expanding the glossary came up, for instance, "initial cell". I used the search feature on diatoms.org which returned 13 entries and have found one image so far of initial cells. E.g., https://diatoms.org/species/craticula_acidoclinata. Click on the image on the left for more detail.

You can run the search yourself. On diatoms.org on the upper right click the magnifier. Enter "initial cell" and press Enter. Including the quotes will narrow the search. You can try "initial valve" also.

This would be an interesting term to add. It would need to be limited in some way because it brings in many aspects of the diatom reproductive cycle. Who knows? Maybe it will appear in the glossary some day.

Rob K

Rob Kimmich

I noticed that several images of initial cells are at the bottom of the search.

Rob Kimmich

Mary, it would be great to see your images. You could create an album and upload your images or let me know how you would like to organize them. Currently, we usually start the album with the name of the author.

Rob K

Mary Tiffany

Edited

I don't know how to make an album...Here's a quick preview. Detonula pumila bloomed in Puget Sound, Elliot Bay April 2016. Captured live on my microscope.

Mary Ann

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 4:33:13 PM PDT, Rob Kimmich <rkimmich12@...> wrote:

Mary, it would be great to see your images. You could create an album and upload your images or let me know how you would like to organize them. Currently, we usually start the album with the name of the author.

Rob K

Thomas J. Shelley

Hi, Mary. Thanks for the great photos of Detonula pumila.   Unfortunately, I can't open the document you sent.  I have tried several programs, but none have worked.  Could you please let me know the file format?   Thanks.   Tom
**********************
Thomas Shelley
118 E. Court St.
Ithaca NY 14850-4211
607 342-0864
tjs1@...

I don't know how to make an album...Here's a quick preview. Detonula pumila bloomed in Puget Sound, Elliot Bay April 2016. Captured live on my microscope.

Mary Ann

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 4:33:13 PM PDT, Rob Kimmich <rkimmich12@...> wrote:

Mary, it would be great to see your images. You could create an album and upload your images or let me know how you would like to organize them. Currently, we usually start the album with the name of the author.

Rob K

Mary Tiffany

Edited

Try this one-Mary Ann

On Sunday, June 14, 2020, 8:55:17 AM PDT, Thomas J. Shelley <tjs1@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Mary-Ann. That worked.  Tom

I don't know how to make an album...Here's a quick preview. Detonula pumila bloomed in Puget Sound, Elliot Bay April 2016. Captured live on my microscope.

Mary Ann

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 4:33:13 PM PDT, Rob Kimmich <rkimmich12@...> wrote:

Mary, it would be great to see your images. You could create an album and upload your images or let me know how you would like to organize them. Currently, we usually start the album with the name of the author.

Rob K

Rob Kimmich

Thank you for converting the montage to a jpg. It opens fine now.  ~Rob K

On 14-Jun-2020 09:13, Mary Tiffany via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Here are two of Melosira variants. It's easiest to identify initial cells in linear colonies.

Mary Ann

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 4:33:13 PM PDT, Rob Kimmich <rkimmich12@...> wrote:

Mary, it would be great to see your images. You could create an album and upload your images or let me know how you would like to organize them. Currently, we usually start the album with the name of the author.

Rob K

Rob Kimmich

Mary, I created an album, Reproduction, and moved your images into it, with small edits to the names on the way.

I added in a couple of mine that I think are of an initial cell of a Cymbella.

You can use the search in photos for things like "initial", or "init*". A search on "repro" returned nothing but "repro*" returned all images in the Reproduction album. I did not use quotes with these searches. It searched the album name, file name, and the comments. I am just learning the possibilities.

Critique of the album name or concept are welcome.

Rob

On 14-Jun-2020 08:13, Mary Tiffany via groups.io wrote:
I don't know how to make an album...Here's a quick preview. Detonula pumila bloomed in Puget Sound, Elliot Bay April 2016. Captured live on my microscope.

Mary Ann

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 4:33:13 PM PDT, Rob Kimmich <rkimmich12@...> wrote:

Mary, it would be great to see your images. You could create an album and upload your images or let me know how you would like to organize them. Currently, we usually start the album with the name of the author.

Rob K

Mary Tiffany

Edited

I think this might be an initial cell of Ditylum brightwellii. If not it's a very early cell.  It is three times the size of the other cells. Mary Ann

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 4:33:13 PM PDT, Rob Kimmich <rkimmich12@...> wrote:

Mary, it would be great to see your images. You could create an album and upload your images or let me know how you would like to organize them. Currently, we usually start the album with the name of the author.

Rob K

Rob Kimmich

Mary Ann,

I moved your Ditylum image to the album Reproduction and took the liberty of adding letters to it. (I set you as the owner of your images so you can edit them.) Are B and C stages of mitosis?

Rob K

On 14-Jun-2020 10:23, Mary Tiffany via groups.io wrote:
I think this might be an initial cell of Ditylum brightwellii. If not it's a very early cell.  It is three times the size of the other cells. Mary Ann

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 4:33:13 PM PDT, Rob Kimmich <rkimmich12@...> wrote:

Mary, it would be great to see your images. You could create an album and upload your images or let me know how you would like to organize them. Currently, we usually start the album with the name of the author.

Rob K

peter.hallett@...

Mary-Ann and Rob,
I am enjoying the Reproduction album but it does not entirely provide answers to two questions:
Q1) what characters identify an initial cell and Q2) what characters identify its genus?
Mary-Ann's pictures provide both answers for her colonial Centrics; large size, 'top hats', no cingulae, and physical continuity with other cell stages.  But in a case with no continuity would it be possible to identify the genus?
Rob's and  DONA's images also leave me uncertain.  The initial cell photos do seem congeneric, but what
characters identify the cells as initial?
Thanks again for the skilful work,  Peter

Rob Kimmich

Peter,

If you have a university library near you, its online catalog may have The Diatoms : biology & morphology of the genera by Round et al., 1990. As you might guess, it is often on the shelf, waiting. My paperback copy is my main source for questions like these. In it they say things like, "initial valves...usually differ in shape and pattern from normal valves" (page 86). A lot of the work on diatom life cycles is done in culture since usually we just see the vegetative stages in the wild.

On the other hand, I often find auxospores of Melosira varians attached to filaments of cells. See the images in the album. I added another image just now.

Another feast for the eyes that might be in the library and well beyond my diatom budget is Diatom flora of marine coasts by Andrzej Witkowski, et al.

Rob

On 17-Jun-2020 15:43, peter.hallett@... wrote:
Mary-Ann and Rob,
I am enjoying the Reproduction album but it does not entirely provide answers to two questions:
Q1) what characters identify an initial cell and Q2) what characters identify its genus?
Mary-Ann's pictures provide both answers for her colonial Centrics; large size, 'top hats', no cingulae, and physical continuity with other cell stages.  But in a case with no continuity would it be possible to identify the genus?
Rob's and  DONA's images also leave me uncertain.  The initial cell photos do seem congeneric, but what
characters identify the cells as initial?
Thanks again for the skilful work,  Peter

peter.hallett@...

Rob,
Many thanks. Waiting for a Forum response is a lot faster than waiting on a library during the Ontario lockdown!  I'm familiar with Round (1990) though not as a paperback, but I skimmed over reproduction . Thanks for the suggestions. Peter