June issue of Micscape with article by Steve Beats on diatom arranging #arranging

pennine56

Hi

In case of interest, Steve Beats has generously shared an illustrated article in pdf format in the latest June issue of Micscape on his approaches to diatom arranging.

He notes that his inspiration and core techniques came from Raymond Hummelink's earlier Micscape article in October 2006. Steve shows how his striking geometric arrangements are achieved using a microfilm template.

http://www.micscape.org

regards

David

Voluntary Micscape Ed.

Rob <kimmich46@...>

David,

Thank you for posting this article. Beats wrote it well and made the subject fascinating.

Rob

On 6/13/2015 6:56 AM, pennine56@... [diatom_forum] wrote:

Hi

In case of interest, Steve Beats has generously shared an illustrated article in pdf format in the latest June issue of Micscape on his approaches to diatom arranging.

He notes that his inspiration and core techniques came from Raymond Hummelink's earlier Micscape article in October 2006. Steve shows how his striking geometric arrangements are achieved using a microfilm template.

http://www.micscape.org

regards

David

Voluntary Micscape Ed.

Raymond <ortholux@...>

Thanks, David.

@ Beats: Wow! The progress
you made in this short amount of time is truly amazing. And loads of very valuable tips and tricks for the aspiring and the experienced diatom mounter. An anti-static gun! Never even knew these things existed. And your work with microfilm: very clever. Not to mention your modified Debes recipe, and your method of cleaning cover slips. Thank you very much for sharing this. Your article is an instant classic!

I can't help but feel a little proud that my humble writings have helped to set things in motion! You certainly took it to the next level (and beyond). Thanks very much!

Cheers,
Raymond

Op 13-6-2015 15:56, pennine56@... [diatom_forum] schreef:

Hi

In case of interest, Steve Beats has generously shared an illustrated article in pdf format in the latest June issue of Micscape on his approaches to diatom arranging.

He notes that his inspiration and core techniques came from Raymond Hummelink's earlier Micscape article in October 2006. Steve shows how his striking geometric arrangements are achieved using a microfilm template.

http://www.micscape.org

regards

David

Voluntary Micscape Ed.

cd_micro

More thanks to Beats for the superb article and sharing so much! I'm learning a lot by trying things out myself, I'm drawn to diatom collecting and arranging mostly by enjoyment of the results, but also by the challenge that it will take many years of practice to develop competency and likely a lifetime of constant improvement: There is no substitute for hard work, patience and a lot of practice. Such well written and detailed explanations help beginners like me an awful lot.

steve.m.beats@...

Thanks for the comments folks (and those who emailed me direct). Always nice to get positive feedback.

Cheers
Beats