From: NGC704@...
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:04 AM
Subject: [diatom_forum] Re: Gomphonema

> Had success with the lens tissue-coverslip extraction method for live ones.

Is this described somewhere you can point me to? Would like to know more!

Cheers, Kurt M

Rob Kimmich <kimmich46@...>

By the way, I wonder if people are using this method in biology classes. What a great way to develop new diatomists!

Rob

For starters, see Round et al. (1990), The Diatoms, p8, "Collecting and studying diatoms". They have a good description of the one- and two-layer method with lens paper, which, I think one of the authors, D.G. Mann, invented. You can also find it in this online preview [1]. I did a web search on "mann lens tissue method diatom" and found lots of references, including this interesting study in PDF format [2].

I just wanted to see if it would work, so I simply cut out a couple squares of lens tissue to match the coverslip, put the paper on the damp mud (in a petri dish in my case), and put the slips on top. Hours later, I moved the slip to a slide with a little of the sample water (to prevent plamolysing, I found out) and had a pristine, active bunch of diatoms and cyanobacteria. It was not everything in the sample of course, but what a pleasure to be free of the mud!

-Rob

> Had success with the lens tissue-coverslip extraction method for live ones.

Is this described somewhere you can point me to? Would like to know more!

Cheers, Kurt M

Klaus Kemp <klaus.kemp@...>

I have had one reply and I find it quite amusing, I feel it asks the question of do we take ourselves too seriously?  At leats it was a reply.
Klaus