Trinacria barronii #glossary

Frez

Hi everyone

I started a St. Laurent photo album. Trinacria barronii has been tough to pin down. It's the last two images in the album.

The visual ID came from;
http://www.lenaturaliste.net/forum/galerie/index-trinacria-3-0-3.php#topgal
What night Nov. stand for?

Algaebase has a good description.
http://www.algaebase.org/search/genus/detail/?genus_id=46377&-session=abv4:47E88C7A0a4e535F6BRymP1061F5
It describes rimoportulae and they might be present in two of the corners. The second image in phase has indications of some in the center. Also what does F. stand for in the provenance? It is used in four species. (scroll down on the page) I read their glossary, but can't make much sense out of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Frez

Richard Carter

Frez,

Very nice images!

The abbreviation "Nov." is from the Latin novum, nova etc. (depending on case and gender), and means "new".  Hence "Nov. sp." means "new species".  And the abbreviation "f." in a botanical name is from the Latin forma.  It represents a variation that is less marked than a "variety", in most cases.

Dick

I started a St. Laurent photo album. Trinacria barronii has been tough to pin down. It's the last two images in the album.

The visual ID came from;
http://www.lenaturaliste.net/forum/galerie/index-trinacria-3-0-3.php#topgal
What night Nov. stand for?

Algaebase has a good description.
http://www.algaebase.org/search/genus/detail/?genus_id=46377&-session=abv4:47E88C7A0a4e535F6BRymP1061F5
It describes rimoportulae and they might be present in two of the corners. The second image in phase has indications of some in the center. Also what does F. stand for in the provenance? It is used in four species. (scroll down on the page) I read their glossary, but can't make much sense out of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Frez

Frez

Hi Dick

Thanks for the info. My Latin isn't very good. The only place there was any contact with it was in church and that was in between dad's snores. BTW...I have a fondness for the St. Laurent deposit because Laurent was my dad's name.

Thanks again
Frez

________________________________
I started a St. Laurent photo album. Trinacria barronii has been tough to pin down. It's the last two images in the album.

The visual ID came from;
http://www.lenaturaliste.net/forum/galerie/index-trinacria-3-0-3.php#topgal
What night Nov. stand for?

Algaebase has a good description.
http://www.algaebase.org/search/genus/detail/?genus_id=46377&-session=abv4:47E88C7A0a4e535F6BRymP1061F5
It describes rimoportulae and they might be present in two of the corners. The second image in phase has indications of some in the center. Also what does F. stand for in the provenance? It is used in four species. (scroll down on the page) I read their glossary, but can't make much sense out of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Frez

klaus.kemp <klaus.kemp@...>

Hello Frez,
t looks to me that you have a nasty cross contamination, as all of my samples from St. Laurent are of fully marine species, wheras you are listing some freshwater species. Do you have the provenance of the sample or is it a slide. Having said that your photos are just wonderful and I look forward to the many more that I know that exist in this deposit
Cheers
Klaus

--- In diatom_forum@..., <dtetreault61@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Klaus

Well that's not good. Let me guess...Surirella and certain Cocconeis? Any others? I've had the vial for years. It's simply labeled St. Laurent. I'm pretty careful making slides using pipettes for a single use and then disposing, but I certainly could have gotten confused. The slide was also made years ago. I'll check some more of the vial.

Thanks for the heads up!
Frez

--- In diatom_forum@..., "klaus.kemp" <klaus.kemp@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob <kimmich46@...>

Frez, your Trinacria and Symbolophora are my favorites. ~Rob

[...]

Hi Rob

There was only one Trinacria on the slide. It's my favorite too. There were about eight to ten Symbolophora. They are hard to stack. Helicon Focus insisted on hiding the two spines and they had to be cut from a high focus image and pasted onto the final stack. It was a good time. :)

Frez

--- In diatom_forum@..., "Rob" <kimmich46@...> wrote:

[...]

Raymond <ortholux@...>

Hello Frez,

the contamination is not necessary caused by 'dirty' pipettes or glassware on your end in this case. I have received a warning from a collector of raw St. Laurent material, that the diatomite needed a scrub because it had been in contact with (recent) fresh water, in situ.

I have a large St. Laurent sample soaking as we speak; this particular sample is said to be excellent in preservation; not very compacted so not a lot of broken forms. It completely fell apart after addition of HCl; not needing any freezing/thawing. Promising so far!

Cheers,
Raymond

--- In diatom_forum@..., "klaus.kemp" wrote:

> Hello Frez,
> t looks to me that you have a nasty cross contamination, as all of my samples from St. Laurent are of fully marine species, wheras you are listing some freshwater species. Do you have the provenance of the sample or is it a slide. Having said that your photos are just wonderful and I look forward to the many more that I know that exist in this deposit
> Cheers
> Klaus
>
> --- In diatom_forum@..., wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > I started a St. Laurent photo album. Trinacria barronii has been tough to pin down. It's the last two images in the album.
> >
> > The visual ID came from;
> > http://www.lenaturaliste.net/forum/galerie/index-trinacria-3-0-3.php#topgal
> > What night Nov. stand for?
> >
> > Algaebase has a good description.
> > http://www.algaebase.org/search/genus/detail/?genus_id=46377&-session=abv4:47E88C7A0a4e535F6BRymP1061F5
> > It describes rimoportulae and they might be present in two of the corners. The second image in phase has indications of some in the center. Also what does F. stand for in the provenance? It is used in four species. (scroll down on the page) I read their glossary, but can't make much sense out of it. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Frez

Frez

Hi Raymond

That's a relief. (sort of) :)
Sounds like great sample. My St. Laurent sample has a lot of small forms and very few larger ones except Surirella biseriata which was fully intact.

Best of luck
Frez