L. lyra in Phase Contrast

Frez

I ran across a very photogenic L. lyra tonight and thought I'd share it with you. It's imaged with a Nikon 100x 1.25 dark medium phase objective on an Olympus BHA. It is from the Newburyport, MA sample.

Thanks
Frez

Bill Dailey

Hi Frez,
Long time no communicate!
Beautiful image. I just happen to have returned from our annual vacation in Newburyport, MA and have brought home a large amount of this same raw sample which I am in the process of cleaning. I also got a new sample of a freshwater pond from the same area. I will let the group know if that contains anything interesting.
Bill

--- In diatom_forum@..., "Frez" <dtetreault61@...> wrote:

I ran across a very photogenic L. lyra tonight and thought I'd share it with you. It's imaged with a Nikon 100x 1.25 dark medium phase objective on an Olympus BHA. It is from the Newburyport, MA sample.

Thanks
Frez

Frez

Hi Bill

Great to hear from you! Newburyport is one of my favorite samples. It's full of many attractive specimens. Will you be selling vials of this new batch on Micrap?

Thanks
Frez

--- In diatom_forum@..., "bill2penn" <dailey@...> wrote:

Hi Frez,
Long time no communicate!
Beautiful image. I just happen to have returned from our annual vacation in Newburyport, MA and have brought home a large amount of this same raw sample which I am in the process of cleaning. I also got a new sample of a freshwater pond from the same area. I will let the group know if that contains anything interesting.
Bill

--- In diatom_forum@..., "Frez" <dtetreault61@> wrote:

I ran across a very photogenic L. lyra tonight and thought I'd share it with you. It's imaged with a Nikon 100x 1.25 dark medium phase objective on an Olympus BHA. It is from the Newburyport, MA sample.

Thanks
Frez

scitech200

Hello Frez,

It's really great to see that you are back to your microscopes and sharing some excellent images!

To my eyes your image labeled with a 'DLL' is truly outstanding.
Could you tell us more about the exact equipment configuration for this image? I understand that you are using phase contrast, but I'm not sure about the DLL designation (and alternatives).
Also, are these single shots or stacked?
Oh, another question - can I assume that the mountant is ZRAX?

Thanks and another welcome to this group.

-Keith

"Frez" wrote:

I ran across a very photogenic L. lyra tonight and thought I'd share it with you. It's imaged with a Nikon 100x 1.25 dark medium phase objective on an Olympus BHA. It is from the Newburyport, MA sample.

Thanks
Frez
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diatom_forum/photos/album/1864017556/pic/list

Frez

Hi Keith

Thanks for the encouragement!

DLL stands for "dark low low". It produces positive phase contrast. There is a good description here.
http://www.microscopyu.com/articles/phasecontrast/phaseconfiguration.html
For me DLL and other positive types work best with thicker larger specimens as they seem to be less apt to produce extensive halos. There are times when negative contrast works well though. The images were stacked in Helicon Focus. The stacks are usually 10 to 20 images.

I'm trying something different in place of a mountant. Instead of making permanent slides with Zrax, I have been immersing the diatoms in oil. At first immersion oil didn't work because it was too viscous and too many bubbles were trapped. A much thinner medium was needed. I settled on Cassia oil. It's an essential oil with a refractive index of 1.5. The upside is that slide prep only takes a short time. Also a few slight nudges to the edges of the cover slip rearranges the contents. What was once covered by debris is now free and girdle/valve views can be switched too. I was using the same strew for about 10 days. The downside is that it isn't permanent and using HI objectives can be tiresome. Cassia oil also has a distinct odor to it that some might find displeasing. There are likely other oils that would work well and provide aromatherapy benefits at the same time. :)

Frez