Dissecting Frustules #arranging

Charles Suslavage

Hello Klaus,
I finally met up with Mr. Solliday on Saturday, he sends his best, and I asked him about your presentation here in the states. He remembered your presentation of arranging diatoms with a lot of enthusiasm but he did not remember you demonstrating separating a diatom, dissecting frustules. He said that I should tell you that your work is often discussed at the Microscopy Society of Southern California (MSSC).
Charles

klaus.kemp <klaus.kemp@...>

Charles,
Good to hear that Jim is in good shape. Sorry to hear he did not remember the splitting of a frustule, perhaps if you were to ask other members they might just confirm this, as I had at one time a number of letters commenting on just that issue being so memorable. Ah well, if you fail to find anyone still alive that can confirm it, then I do have somewhere a DVD of a demonstration in Cornwall where the same thing was shown among a lot more about collecting, cleaning and mounting. The DVD is not the most professional quality but shows much of what I have stated. Must locate the disk.
Klaus

--- In diatom_forum@..., "charles" <suslavage@...> wrote:

Hello Klaus,
I finally met up with Mr. Solliday on Saturday, he sends his best, and I asked him about your presentation here in the states. He remembered your presentation of arranging diatoms with a lot of enthusiasm but he did not remember you demonstrating separating a diatom, dissecting frustules. He said that I should tell you that your work is often discussed at the Microscopy Society of Southern California (MSSC).
Charles

Charles Suslavage

Hi Klaus,

Don’t worry about finding the DVD. This discussion has reached the point where you have provided enough information for me to actually try to dissect a frustule. You have pointed the way and now I need to gain some practical experience. Now that I know it is possible and have your directions as a guide it is a matter of developing the required skill at the microscope. It’s the old thing about if at first you don’t succeed try again and again till you get it right.