From: urginia
To: diatom_forum@...
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 1:06 PM
Subject: [diatom_forum] Re: strange araphid?

Chuck,

this is way way beyond my pay grade, but could this be the internal valve of a Craticula sp  induced by high salinity (or some other osmotic / ionic stress)

boa sorte
Brian

--- In diatom_forum@..., Chuck Stapleton wrote:

> One last diatom then I will give it and you all a rest. Can't find this one. Not sure that the toxic environment got to this one. See charles stapleton pictures Tks. Chuck

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    diatom_forum-digest@...
    diatom_forum-fullfeatured@...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

urginia

Chuck,

i suppose by high salinity i really meant a higher salinity than the species is used to. So it could be a freshwater species washed down into an estuarine area.

See here-

http://westerndiatoms.colorado.edu/taxa/genus/Craticula

and

http://westerndiatoms.colorado.edu/glossary/term/Craticula

...I think you are right, the party continues....
....Why were we not invited ??

Brian

--- In diatom_forum@..., Chuck Stapleton <stapleton.chuck@...> wrote:

Brian
     Wow! I'm trying to remember my chemistry. Actually, remembering my name is a good thing. I will say that it appears something may have altered this frustule. Hypersalinity is not a problem we usually have on the Gulf Coast except in small lakes on barrier islands subject to overwash. Tks for the suggestion. You are the only responder. Either I have stumped our resident experts or the three day weekend parties are still in full swing!!
Chuck

________________________________
this is way way beyond my pay grade, but could this be the internal valve of a Craticula sp  induced by high salinity (or some other osmotic / ionic stress)

boa sorte
Brian

--- In diatom_forum@..., Chuck Stapleton <stapleton.chuck@> wrote:

One last diatom then I will give it and you all a rest. Can't find this one. Not sure that the toxic environment got to this one. See charles stapleton pictures Tks. Chuck

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Klaus Kemp <klaus.kemp@...>

Chuck,
I believe you have the answer now. I have seen structure similar to this when the Chromatophores plasmolise due to changes in salinity. Is there any other evidence of other Diatoms showing anything similar?
Klaus

--- In diatom_forum@..., "urginia" <urginia@...> wrote:

[...]

There is. Some obvious toxic diatoms, one with two central nodules on one valve, etc. Perhaps the Aluminum. There are about three or four obvious mutations, at least obvious to me. Hopefully, it will be a good addition to the dissertation. Thanks for the lead. I will research the information in your email. I can put the questionable in the album if you’re interested. One is really gruesome.

--- In diatom_forum@..., "urginia" wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> i suppose by high salinity i really meant a higher salinity than the species is used to. So it could be a freshwater species washed down into an estuarine area.
>
> See here-
>
> http://westerndiatoms.colorado.edu/taxa/genus/Craticula
>
> and
>
> http://westerndiatoms.colorado.edu/glossary/term/Craticula
>
> ...I think you are right, the party continues....
> ....Why were we not invited ??
>
> Brian
>

> --- In diatom_forum@..., Chuck Stapleton wrote:
> >
> > Brian
> >      Wow! I'm trying to remember my chemistry. Actually, remembering my name is a good thing. I will say that it appears something may have altered this frustule. Hypersalinity is not a problem we usually have on the Gulf Coast except in small lakes on barrier islands subject to overwash. Tks for the suggestion. You are the only responder. Either I have stumped our resident experts or the three day weekend parties are still in full swing!!
> > Chuck
> >

> > ________________________________

Rob Kimmich <kimmich46@...>

Let's see the gruesome one!

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Chuck Stapleton <stapleton.chuck@...> wrote:

There is. Some obvious toxic diatoms, one with two central nodules on one valve, etc. Perhaps the Aluminum. There are about three or four obvious mutations, at least obvious to me. Hopefully, it will be a good addition to the dissertation. Thanks for the lead. I will research the information in your email. I can put the questionable in the album if you’re interested. One is really gruesome.
Chuck

I believe you have the answer now. I have seen structure similar to this when the Chromatophores plasmolise due to changes in salinity. Is there any other evidence of other Diatoms showing anything similar?
Klaus

--- In diatom_forum@..., "urginia" wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> i suppose by high salinity i really meant a higher salinity than the species is used to. So it could be a freshwater species washed down into an estuarine area.
>
> See here-
>
> http://westerndiatoms.colorado.edu/taxa/genus/Craticula
>
> and
>
> http://westerndiatoms.colorado.edu/glossary/term/Craticula
>
> ...I think you are right, the party continues....
> ....Why were we not invited ??
>
> Brian
>

> --- In diatom_forum@..., Chuck Stapleton wrote:
> >
> > Brian
> >      Wow! I'm trying to remember my chemistry. Actually, remembering my name is a good thing. I will say that it appears something may have altered this frustule. Hypersalinity is not a problem we usually have on the Gulf Coast except in small lakes on barrier islands subject to overwash. Tks for the suggestion. You are the only responder. Either I have stumped our resident experts or the three day weekend parties are still in full swing!!
> > Chuck
> >

> > ________________________________

Yo Rob,
     Alright, I have posted all my strange ones in Charles Stapleton. I left the comic in.
     P. marina is the only gruesome one other than the Araphid photo. The rest are just not exactly right. Well, the Ampora may be right but not sure what it is and it looks "not right", sort of, as does the Opephora and the Plagiogrammopsis. As you can read, I'm using highly technical terms to describe my observations. The Rhopalodia ain't right nor is Navicula sp #38 (probably not a Navicula but the central nodule sure looks wrong).
    Matt Julius thinks the oversized Cyclotella (if it is a Cyclotella) will turn out to be a C. striata. I'm still waiting for this transformation to happen. Still looks "not right" to me. And then I added one of two of the most beautiful diatoms (in my opinion, which is not worth squat) which I found yesterday, namely Fallacia pygmaea (at the high end of it's size). Wow! The other is N. nummularia which I have not converted over to my digital album. Anyway, mutations are not too frequent in my cores but this one core seems to have yielded a few more than the average. Your thoughts on these would be appreciated, as I suspect that I'm "not right".
Chuck

There is. Some obvious toxic diatoms, one with two central nodules on one valve, etc. Perhaps the Aluminum. There are about three or four obvious mutations, at least obvious to me. Hopefully, it will be a good addition to the dissertation. Thanks for the lead. I will research the information in your email. I can put the questionable in the album if you’re interested. One is really gruesome.
Chuck

I believe you have the answer now. I have seen structure similar to this when the Chromatophores plasmolise due to changes in salinity. Is there any other evidence of other Diatoms showing anything similar?
Klaus

--- In diatom_forum@..., "urginia" wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> i suppose by high salinity i really meant a higher salinity than the species is used to. So it could be a freshwater species washed down into an estuarine area.
>
> See here-
>
> http://westerndiatoms.colorado.edu/taxa/genus/Craticula
>
> and
>
> http://westerndiatoms.colorado.edu/glossary/term/Craticula
>
> ...I think you are right, the party continues....
> ....Why were we not invited ??
>
> Brian
>

> --- In diatom_forum@..., Chuck Stapleton wrote:
> >
> > Brian
> >      Wow! I'm trying to remember my chemistry. Actually, remembering my name is a good thing. I will say that it appears something may have altered this frustule. Hypersalinity is not a problem we usually have on the Gulf Coast except in small lakes on barrier islands subject to overwash. Tks for the suggestion. You are the only responder. Either I have stumped our resident experts or the three day weekend parties are still in full swing!!
> > Chuck

Rob <kimmich46@...>

Thanks, Chuck. Very interesting.

[...]

Hi Chuck,

the Petroneis is weird enough for anyone!

i think that you should be careful using the term "mutation" in this context as it normally implies some genetic change. Your diatoms are probably showing morphological changes due effects on the cell physiology not on the genetic material. These types of changes are termed "teratological". Here is a recent paper which records a wide range of abnormal diatom morphologies which may be of interest:

http://www.ajol.info/index.php/wsa/article/viewFile/49185/35528

enjoy

[...]

Hello Brian,
     Thanks for the advice. Teratological it is. I heard that term last month but did not have the time to explore. I take it that a teratological change is more immediate and not necessarily permanent? That would make sense in an environment as variable as a coastal setting. Did any of the other diatoms look "not right" (my sense of humor developed since moving to the South) or peculiar? Thanks again! I find myself with so much to learn and not much time left to learn it. Ha. Chuck