Manipulators #arranging

Cummins, Alex

I have seen pictures of these nice little manipulators made brom threaded brass. Does anyone know if anyone makes these or where I might be able to get some?

Thanks

Alex

Bill Dailey

Alex,
I used to make and sell the brass micromanipulators but the machine shop where I fabricated them shut down.

Raymond had someone make a nice one for him, and I think that person might make more. Raymond can comment on that.

Your best bet is to follow Leszek's great directions and make your own. His link to that page is
http://www.diatomsireland.com/micromanipulator-intro/

Bill

--- In diatom_forum@..., "Alex Cummins" <me@...> wrote:

I have seen pictures of these nice little manipulators made brom threaded
brass. Does anyone know if anyone makes these or where I might be able to
get some?

Thanks

Alex

scitech200

Alex,

Raymond has an article with Micscape describing use of a micromanipulator:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag//artoct06/rhu-diatoms.html

He shows the brass device that was first used by Klaus.
As with Bill I don't think that Klaus is currently offering these for sale. Raymond had a machinist fabricate a copy for him.
Bill would know for sure, but I expect that a custom fab with a machinist would run at least $300...

Regards,
Keith

"Alex Cummins" wrote:

I have seen pictures of these nice little manipulators
made brom threaded brass. Does anyone know if anyone
makes these or where I might be able to get some?

Thanks
Alex

Raymond <ortholux@...>

Well, this came up before (4 years ago), and at that time the person who made my manipulator thought that he might be persuaded to fabricate another one for around 400 Euros. I am not sure if he would give a similar answer if I asked him again.

Cheers,
Raymond

<mailto:diatom_forum%40yahoogroups.com>, "Alex Cummins" <me@...> wrote:

> I have seen pictures of these nice little manipulators made brom threaded
> brass. Does anyone know if anyone makes these or where I might be able to
> get some?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

Stephen S. Nagy <snagymd@...>

For those not familiar with the current exchange rate, I get 1 Euro = 1.418 USD.

Hence, the rate charged four years ago was $567.20 for one micromanipulator.

If I had the machine shop, I would happily turn these out at this price, as this is not difficult machining.

Best wishes,

Stephen Nagy

Well, this came up before (4 years ago), and at that time the person who
made my manipulator thought that he might be persuaded to fabricate
another one for around 400 Euros. I am not sure if he would give a
similar answer if I asked him again.

Cheers,
Raymond

Op 24-6-2011 1:55, bill2penn schreef:
> Alex,
> I used to make and sell the brass micromanipulators but the machine shop
> where I fabricated them shut down.
>
> Raymond had someone make a nice one for him, and I think that person
> might make more. Raymond can comment on that.
>
> Your best bet is to follow Leszek's great directions and make your own.
> His link to that page is
> http://www.diatomsireland.com/micromanipulator-intro/
>
> Bill
>
> --- In diatom_forum@...
> , "Alex Cummins" wrote:
>  >
>  > I have seen pictures of these nice little manipulators made brom threaded
>  > brass. Does anyone know if anyone makes these or where I might be able to
>  > get some?
>  >
>  > Thanks
>  >
>  > Alex
>  >

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    diatom_forum-digest@...
    diatom_forum-fullfeatured@...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

leszekwolnik <leszek@...>

Hi

I have several (6 or 7) micro manipulators 'more or less' finished and nothing would make me happier than to post them on with my compliments to anyone that would like one.

We're inundated at work at present so it will be several weeks before they go out but they will go, I promise! I'm an unholy terror for the 'sliding commitment' but this one will be honoured in a timely fashion. It would be nice if the cost of postage was covered.

I've one or two of these already promised to members of the group so if there are too many requests then I'll make up more barrels and the harder components so that folk can then easily complete them themselves.

You'll have to make your own glass needles and I'll pass the baton to Klaus, Stephen or Raymond for a master class in that dark art. My own attempts are sometimes more suited as whips for really tiny glass dominatrices than diatom arranging. (You'll get this arcane reference after trying needle pulling for yourselves).

It's very strange, under a stereoscope, to see an overdrawn glass needle slowly billowing in convection currents like one of the ribbons that Olympic gymnasts use.

I also have to acknowledge all the extremely kind and patient help and instruction that I (and many others) have received from Klaus over the last few years in my rather erratic attempts at making selected species and arrangements.

All the micro manipulator work on my site is based on Klaus's designs and suggestions and so the credit for that must land at his feet too.

As they say in Dublin, after a glass or two of the black stuff, 'Good man yerself, Klaus!'.

Kindest regards

Leszek

--- In diatom_forum@..., "Stephen S. Nagy " <snagymd@...> wrote:

For those not familiar with the current exchange rate, I get 1 Euro = 1.418 USD.

Hence, the rate charged four years ago was $567.20 for one micromanipulator.

If I had the machine shop, I would happily turn these out at this price, as this is not difficult machining.

Best wishes,

Stephen Nagy

Well, this came up before (4 years ago), and at that time the person who
made my manipulator thought that he might be persuaded to fabricate
another one for around 400 Euros. I am not sure if he would give a
similar answer if I asked him again.

Cheers,
Raymond

Op 24-6-2011 1:55, bill2penn schreef:
Alex,
I used to make and sell the brass micromanipulators but the machine shop
where I fabricated them shut down.

Raymond had someone make a nice one for him, and I think that person
might make more. Raymond can comment on that.

Your best bet is to follow Leszek's great directions and make your own.
His link to that page is
http://www.diatomsireland.com/micromanipulator-intro/

Bill

--- In diatom_forum@...
<mailto:diatom_forum%40yahoogroups.com>, "Alex Cummins" <me@> wrote:

 > I have seen pictures of these nice little manipulators made brom threaded
 > brass. Does anyone know if anyone makes these or where I might be able to
 > get some?
 >
 > Thanks
 >
 > Alex

Klaus Kemp <klaus.kemp@...>

Leszek,

Thank you for the kind comments, I intend to answer this matter in full in the next posting, as currently I have only the time to read the the postings. Just setting off to the Annual Black Magic Convention and on my return will take the black magic out of the equation. In short anyone interested and having the patience to try needle pulling will have the ultimate needle, even to splitting frustules with it as you well know.
Klaus

> [...]

similar answer if I asked him again.

Cheers,
Raymond

Op 24-6-2011 1:55, bill2penn schreef:
Alex,
I used to make and sell the brass micromanipulators but the machine shop
where I fabricated them shut down.

Raymond had someone make a nice one for him, and I think that person
might make more. Raymond can comment on that.

Your best bet is to follow Leszek's great directions and make your own.
His link to that page is
http://www.diatomsireland.com/micromanipulator-intro/

Bill

--- In diatom_forum@...
<mailto:diatom_forum%40yahoogroups.com>, "Alex Cummins" <me@> wrote:

 > I have seen pictures of these nice little manipulators made brom threaded
 > brass. Does anyone know if anyone makes these or where I might be able to

TOM GREEN

Dear klaus,
I dont know what your thoughts on the matter are but would it not be a bad idea to have your own manipulator drawn up to stop this copying .The drawings could be sold for 25 a copy for the persons own use. This happens in model engineering circles and works well.
I have no wish to offend you in any way if you have other arrangemets please accept my enthusiasm
as that of a gratefull-pupil.
Kind Regards

Tom Green---- Original Message -----

Well, this came up before (4 years ago), and at that time the person who
made my manipulator thought that he might be persuaded to fabricate
another one for around 400 Euros. I am not sure if he would give a
similar answer if I asked him again.

Cheers,
Raymond

Op 24-6-2011 1:55, bill2penn schreef:
Alex,
I used to make and sell the brass micromanipulators but the machine shop
where I fabricated them shut down.

Raymond had someone make a nice one for him, and I think that person
might make more. Raymond can comment on that.

Your best bet is to follow Leszek's great directions and make your own.
His link to that page is
http://www.diatomsireland.com/micromanipulator-intro/

Bill

--- In diatom_forum@...
<mailto:diatom_forum%40yahoogroups.com>, "Alex Cummins" <me@> wrote:

> I have seen pictures of these nice little manipulators made brom
threaded
> brass. Does anyone know if anyone makes these or where I might be
able to
> get some?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

leszekwolnik <leszek@...>

Dear Michael

You're very welcome to the group, Tom Green indeed!

I can't speak for Klaus but I believe that he is more than happy to encourage others to keep the somewhat arcane skills of selected diatom mounting alive and is very pro-active in helping and advising any diatom obsessed waifs he finds curled up on his doorstep.

We've had several conversations on the subject and are of the same mind which is why I'm delighted to provide a manipulator, free of charge, to anyone on the group that would like one.

Three are spoken for and I have another five or six for anyone else who gets in touch. There's no catch here, I simply made a batch when I was doing my prototyping and made 10 units in very little more time than it took to make one.

I've also put a copyright notice on my site to prevent anyone exploiting any of my/our adaptations of Klaus's design commercially in order to afford him protection on that front.

The design I'm posting out to some of our members has an integral clamping system which I added after I sent my prototype to Klaus for his comments.

He sent me back a beautiful and delicate little manipulator to examine which had some lovely features and suggested that I add some of them to what he termed my 'carjack'! For a kind man he can be very cruel sometimes... :-)

I added the clamp featured on that manipulator to my unit which allows for it to be truly portable and usable on almost any stand. It can be easily removed from the clamp to be used in a dedicated stand with a hole drilled through the stage. This arrangement allows for focussing and raising of the needle to be done simultaneously with the same hand.

In closing, lest there any ambiguity or confusion, the heading on the micromanipulator section on my site is 'Building the Kemp MIcromanipulator'.

Kindest regards

Leszek

--- In diatom_forum@..., "TOM GREEN" <telescope@...> wrote:

Dear klaus,
I dont know what your thoughts on the matter are but would it not be a bad
idea to have your own manipulator drawn up to stop this copying .The
drawings could be sold for £25 a copy for the persons own use. This happens
in model engineering circles and works well.
I have no wish to offend you in any way if you have other arrangemets
please accept my enthusiasm
as that of a gratefull-pupil.
Kind Regards
Tom Green---- Original Message -----

Well, this came up before (4 years ago), and at that time the person who
made my manipulator thought that he might be persuaded to fabricate
another one for around 400 Euros. I am not sure if he would give a
similar answer if I asked him again.

Cheers,
Raymond

Op 24-6-2011 1:55, bill2penn schreef:
Alex,
I used to make and sell the brass micromanipulators but the machine
shop
where I fabricated them shut down.

Raymond had someone make a nice one for him, and I think that person
might make more. Raymond can comment on that.

Your best bet is to follow Leszek's great directions and make your
own.
His link to that page is
http://www.diatomsireland.com/micromanipulator-intro/

Bill

--- In diatom_forum@...
<mailto:diatom_forum%40yahoogroups.com>, "Alex Cummins" <me@> wrote:

 > I have seen pictures of these nice little manipulators made brom
threaded
 > brass. Does anyone know if anyone makes these or where I might be
able to
 > get some?
 >
 > Thanks
 >
 > Alex

leszekwolnik <leszek@...>

Dear Tom

Apologies for getting your name wrong in my posting, I have to confess that I got myself thoroughly muddled up and thought you were someone else!

Warmest regards

Leszek

> [...]

Raymond

Op 24-6-2011 1:55, bill2penn schreef:
Alex,
I used to make and sell the brass micromanipulators but the machine
shop
where I fabricated them shut down.

Raymond had someone make a nice one for him, and I think that person
might make more. Raymond can comment on that.

Your best bet is to follow Leszek's great directions and make your
own.
His link to that page is
http://www.diatomsireland.com/micromanipulator-intro/

Bill

--- In diatom_forum@...
<mailto:diatom_forum%40yahoogroups.com>, "Alex Cummins" <me@> wrote:

 > I have seen pictures of these nice little manipulators made brom
threaded
 > brass. Does anyone know if anyone makes these or where I might be

TOM GREEN

Dear Lezkwolnic,
as my name would indicate I am green in matters
 "Diatomic" a manipulator was made by me some time back.
Klaus has told me to curb my enthusiasm untill I visit him
he has mentioned to me the benefits of  having a special purpose machine for diatoms and having a fixed manipulator . This is a sound proposition to me. if you have any pictures to send I would be very gratefull ,all the talk about taxonomy leaves me with being a new starter somwhat perplexed . Micromanipulators , diatom cleaning methods and slide making etc,woul light my candle.Someone is certainly looking after me to have Klaus as my mentor.
Kind regards
Tom Green

--- In diatom_forum@..., "leszekwolnik" wrote:

> Dear Michael
>
> You're very welcome to the group, Tom Green indeed!
>
> I can't speak for Klaus but I believe that he is more than happy to encourage others to keep the somewhat arcane skills of selected diatom mounting alive and is very pro-active in helping and advising any diatom obsessed waifs he finds curled up on his doorstep.
>
> We've had several conversations on the subject and are of the same mind which is why I'm delighted to provide a manipulator, free of charge, to anyone on the group that would like one.
>
> Three are spoken for and I have another five or six for anyone else who gets in touch. There's no catch here, I simply made a batch when I was doing my prototyping and made 10 units in very little more time than it took to make one.
>
> I've also put a copyright notice on my site to prevent anyone exploiting any of my/our adaptations of Klaus's design commercially in order to afford him protection on that front.
>
> The design I'm posting out to some of our members has an integral clamping system which I added after I sent my prototype to Klaus for his comments.
>
> He sent me back a beautiful and delicate little manipulator to examine which had some lovely features and suggested that I add some of them to what he termed my 'carjack'! For a kind man he can be very cruel sometimes... :-)
>
> I added the clamp featured on that manipulator to my unit which allows for it to be truly portable and usable on almost any stand. It can be easily removed from the clamp to be used in a dedicated stand with a hole drilled through the stage. This arrangement allows for focussing and raising of the needle to be done simultaneously with the same hand.
>
> In closing, lest there any ambiguity or confusion, the heading on the micromanipulator section on my site is 'Building the Kemp MIcromanipulator'.
>

> Kindest regards
>

> Leszek
>

> --- In diatom_forum@..., "TOM GREEN" wrote:
> >
> > Dear klaus,
> > I dont know what your thoughts on the matter are but would it not be a bad
> > idea to have your own manipulator drawn up to stop this copying .The
> > drawings could be sold for £25 a copy for the persons own use. This happens
> > in model engineering circles and works well.
> > I have no wish to offend you in any way if you have other arrangemets
> > please accept my enthusiasm
> > as that of a gratefull-pupil.
> > Kind Regards
> > Tom Green---- Original Message -----

leszekwolnik <leszek@...>

Hi Tom

Almost all of us are green in some aspects of diatom study here, especially in taxonomy and we're blessed to have Dick and others to guide us along that stony path.

I believe that Klaus is going to do some posting on needle pulling and slide making and hopefully there will be input from the others with the relevant skills and knowledge.

There are some images of a manipulator and other items on my website and please don't hesitate to give a shout if you need any more info.