Cherryfield, Me (contd) - diatom manipulation

scitech200

Dick and the group,

Upon closer inspection of the 40x images I have to agree that indeed there is part of another form "attached" to the Gomphonema form.
It could well be part of a Tabellaria form?
It's hard to believe, but I think we have an internal view of the Gomphonema valve and the additional piece has fitted very neatly inside this valve!
Yet another case of live and learn...

So now I come to seriously thinking about how best to start handling individual forms within a water mount.
The Cherryfield slide started as a simple water mount, but now all forms are air dried between the slide and coverslip. As we have a very limited amount of the Cherryfield material, would it be worthwhile to attempt recovering these forms using a procedure that has already been developed within the group?

Then, of course, it's put together a micro-manipulator time...

Later,
Keith

Richard Carter wrote:
<SNIP>

And the "internal structure" is baffling to me, looks
nothing like any Gomphonema I have encountered.
What is the possibility that we are again looking at
overlapping forms?

Charles Suslavage

Hi Keith,

If your interested in a micro manipulator check out Laszek's Diatoms of Ireland web site. An excellent set of instructions are presented for building one.

The idea of building a data set around the Cherryfield material is interesting and I liked Laszek's idea of distributing slides to the group for max participation. The problem is material is limited? Another approach would be to follow Mr. Carters lead, he has provided a data base, Miocene Diatoms west coast, and is working on Miocene Diatoms east coast. Material and slides are available. Just a thought.

As a side note, if anyone is interested in some Miocene diatomite from the newport beach area I have a healthy supply of good quality material.

Charles

Richard Carter wrote:
<SNIP>
And the "internal structure" is baffling to me, looks
nothing like any Gomphonema I have encountered.
What is the possibility that we are again looking at
overlapping forms?

leszekwolnik <leszek@...>

Hi Keith

Two answers in one!

Sarah Spaulding's sites is one of the best for any subject, beautifully conceived and executed. She has really thought it through and I can only imagine how it will evolve, given time. I believe that it will attract a lot of contributors and will gain 'critical mass' quickly.

Your Cherryfield material is easy to deal with provided your water wasn't full of salts and you don't mind a slide with your valves at different levels within it.

Simply run in some water with a drop of two of wetting agent per litre and allow to soak until slide and slip separate. dry thoroughly and then just make a slide from the two using slightly thinned mountant and do not heat for as long as usual. Leave on a warm hot plate for several days in the hope that any loose valves will drift down. It would be worth putting a couple of small weights on the slip to flatten it as much as possible.

All the best

Leszek