Schmidt Atlas der Diatomaceen-Kunde #atlas

Rob Kimmich

I am forwarding a message from Raymond Hummelink from the yahoo forum from July 2014. This version of the Atlas seems to be very complete. Thanks to Raymond for posting this message and making it available to the group. I successfully download the whole thing.

~ Rob K

~~~~~

Members who are also following the Diatom-L list may have seen this message:

"Dear Colleagues,

in 1972 my grandfather Dr. L. Kalbe from Rostock University edited a reprint from A. SCHMIDT’s “Atlas der Diatomaceen-Kunde” (Vol. 1-4, 1874-1959), including additionally the whole index volume. From him I own all volumes and can provide a high resolution scan of these books (with ~ 480 diatom plates) as a private pdf copy (in high resolution) for non-commercial use.
Please contact me, if you are interested in those copies, at my university email address kalbe@...

Best regards

Johannes Kalbe"

Johannes has kindly shared the pdf copy with me, and I can say that the scans are of a very high quality. In my opinion this is a unique opportunity to obtain a high quality digital copy of the entire Atlas including Dallas Hanna's index.
In order to assist in the distribution, I can provide the files to group members (with Johannes'permission).

These are 5 pdf files; 691 MB total. Members who are interested can drop me an email, and I will set up a Dropbox account.

Johannes asks for a short message to pass on to his grandfather; the grandfather would be interested to hear where in the world his work is helping diatomists. These can be sent to me; I will collect them and pass them on to Johannes.

All the best,
Raymond

cd_micro

Hi Rob,

How do we download a copy - is it through contacting Mr. Kalbe? I would be interested in getting a copy. I have files from archive.org which aren't bad, but the plates could be better, and it was not easy to organise what volume is what....

Craig

Jacky McPherson

If this offer is still available I would like a copy of the Schmidt Atlas pdf.
Currently I am ploughing through some Oamaru diatomite from a recent Cormacks lens trying to fit names to diatoms.
Thanks

Raymond

Yes, no problem. I will contact you with the details.

Jacky McPherson

Hank you.

All safely downloaded. Now to brush-up my german 😊

Regards

Jacky