Schmidt Atlas der Diatomaceen-Kunde #atlas

Rob Kimmich

I am forwarding a message from Raymond Hummelink from the yahoo forum from July 2014. This version of the Atlas seems to be very complete. Thanks to Raymond for posting this message and making it available to the group. I successfully download the whole thing.

~ Rob K

~~~~~

Members who are also following the Diatom-L list may have seen this message:

"Dear Colleagues,

in 1972 my grandfather Dr. L. Kalbe from Rostock University edited a reprint from A. SCHMIDT’s “Atlas der Diatomaceen-Kunde” (Vol. 1-4, 1874-1959), including additionally the whole index volume. From him I own all volumes and can provide a high resolution scan of these books (with ~ 480 diatom plates) as a private pdf copy (in high resolution) for non-commercial use.
Please contact me, if you are interested in those copies, at my university email address kalbe@...

Best regards

Johannes Kalbe"

Johannes has kindly shared the pdf copy with me, and I can say that the scans are of a very high quality. In my opinion this is a unique opportunity to obtain a high quality digital copy of the entire Atlas including Dallas Hanna's index. 
In order to assist in the distribution, I can provide the files to group members (with Johannes'permission).

These are 5 pdf files; 691 MB total. Members who are interested can drop me an email, and I will set up a Dropbox account. 

Johannes asks for a short message to pass on to his grandfather; the grandfather would be interested to hear where in the world his work is helping diatomists. These can be sent to me; I will collect them and pass them on to Johannes.

All the best,
Raymond

cd_micro

Hi Rob,

How do we download a copy - is it through contacting Mr. Kalbe? I would be interested in getting a copy. I have files from archive.org which aren't bad, but the plates could be better, and it was not easy to organise what volume is what....

Craig

Jacky McPherson

If this offer is still available I would like a copy of the Schmidt Atlas pdf.
Currently I am ploughing through some Oamaru diatomite from a recent Cormacks lens trying to fit names to diatoms.
Thanks

Raymond

Yes, no problem. I will contact you with the details. 

Jacky McPherson

Hank you.

All safely downloaded. Now to brush-up my german 😊

Regards

Jacky

From: diatom-forum@groups.io On Behalf Of Raymond Hummelink
Sent: 08 February 2020 21:32
To: diatom-forum@groups.io
Subject: Re: [diatom-forum] Schmidt Atlas der Diatomaceen-Kunde #rob-test

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Joris Vermeylen

Hi Raymond,

Would it be possible to receive a copy of these pdf-files ?
Would be a great help to get into the determination.
Already becomming handy in collecting and cleaning diatoms.

Thanks,
Joris - Belgium

Klaus Kemp <klaus.kemp@...>

Hello Jacky,

Is it possible for you to forward the Atlas to me. I would be very pleased to have this.?

Kindest regards

Klaus 

On 09 February 2020 at 01:38 "Jacky McPherson via Groups.Io" <jacq.mcpherson@...> wrote:

Hank you.

All safely downloaded. Now to brush-up my german 😊

Regards

Jacky

From: diatom-forum@groups.io On Behalf Of Raymond Hummelink
Sent: 08 February 2020 21:32

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Jacky McPherson

I would pass the files to you, but maybe it would be better to get them from Raymond, considering the caveat in the original message
---------------------------

"Dear Colleagues,
in 1972 my grandfather Dr. L. Kalbe from Rostock University edited a reprint from A. SCHMIDT’s “Atlas der Diatomaceen-Kunde” (Vol. 1-4, 1874-1959), including additionally the whole index volume. From him I own all volumes and can provide a high resolution scan of these books (with ~ 480 diatom plates) as a private pdf copy (in high resolution) for non-commercial use.
Please contact me, if you are interested in those copies, at my university email address kalbe@...

Best regards

Johannes Kalbe"

Johannes has kindly shared the pdf copy with me, and I can say that the scans are of a very high quality. In my opinion this is a unique opportunity to obtain a high quality digital copy of the entire Atlas including Dallas Hanna's index. 
In order to assist in the distribution, I can provide the files to group members (with Johannes'permission).

These are 5 pdf files; 691 MB total. Members who are interested can drop me an email, and I will set up a Dropbox account. 

Johannes asks for a short message to pass on to his grandfather; the grandfather would be interested to hear where in the world his work is helping diatomists. These can be sent to me; I will collect them and pass them on to Johannes.

All the best,
Raymond
---------------------------------

All the best
Jacky

Dear Johannes.

Yes I understand, but I thank you for responding.

Klaus

On 17 February 2020 at 21:46 "Jacky McPherson via Groups.Io" <jacq.mcpherson@...> wrote:

I would pass the files to you, but maybe it would be better to get them from Raymond, considering the caveat in the original message

" Dear Colleagues,
Please contact me, if you are interested in those copies, at my university email address  kalbe@...

Best regards

Johannes Kalbe" Johannes has kindly shared the pdf copy with me, and I can say that the scans are of a very high quality. In my opinion this is a unique opportunity to obtain a high quality digital copy of the entire Atlas including Dallas Hanna's index. 
In order to assist in the distribution, I can provide the files to group members (with Johannes'permission). These are 5 pdf files; 691 MB total. Members who are interested can drop me an email, and I will set up a Dropbox account.  Johannes asks for a short message to pass on to his grandfather; the grandfather would be interested to hear where in the world his work is helping diatomists. These can be sent to me; I will collect them and pass them on to Johannes.

All the best,
Raymond

All the best
Jacky

Raymond

Klaus, I sent you an invite to my Dropbox a couple of days ago. Did you get it & have you downloaded the files?

Raymond

Op 18-2-2020 om 16:09 schreef Klaus Kemp via Groups.Io:

Dear Johannes.

Yes I understand, but I thank you for responding.

Klaus

On 17 February 2020 at 21:46 "Jacky McPherson via Groups.Io" <jacq.mcpherson@...> wrote:

" Dear Colleagues,
Please contact me, if you are interested in those copies, at my university email address  kalbe@...

Best regards

Johannes Kalbe" Johannes has kindly shared the pdf copy with me, and I can say that the scans are of a very high quality. In my opinion this is a unique opportunity to obtain a high quality digital copy of the entire Atlas including Dallas Hanna's index. 
In order to assist in the distribution, I can provide the files to group members (with Johannes'permission). These are 5 pdf files; 691 MB total. Members who are interested can drop me an email, and I will set up a Dropbox account.  Johannes asks for a short message to pass on to his grandfather; the grandfather would be interested to hear where in the world his work is helping diatomists. These can be sent to me; I will collect them and pass them on to Johannes.

All the best,
Raymond

All the best
Jacky

patrice.duros@...

hello,

I'm also interested in the PDF files of A's book. SCHMIDT’s "Atlas der Diatomaceen-Kunde" (Vol. 1-4, 1874-1959) thank you very much in advance,

Best regards,

Patrice
From France

Bálint dr. Márkus

Dear All,
I don't want to ruin the well deserved popularity of the version scanned by  Dr. L. Kalbe and distributed by Raymond, but I found recently an another option.
Here can  anyone download (almost) all plates of the atlas:
I think this version shows a bit less fine details, as the Kalbe-Raymond version, but maybe better to print out. If you read it on screen, I would recommend the Kalbe-Raymond version.

Both versions lacks plates 421-432. Does anyone have these?

Best wishes
Balint

<patrice.duros@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. febr. 19., Sze, 20:18):

hello,

I'm also interested in the PDF files of A's book. SCHMIDT’s "Atlas der Diatomaceen-Kunde" (Vol. 1-4, 1874-1959) thank you very much in advance,

Best regards,

Patrice
From France

solliday

Balint:  Thank you so much, this is a great resource!!!  Can’t believe I did not know about this site…..   The high res version shows all the details one will need.   Jim S.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 3:30 PM

Dear All,

I don't want to ruin the well deserved popularity of the version scanned by  Dr. L. Kalbe and distributed by Raymond, but I found recently an another option.

I think this version shows a bit less fine details, as the Kalbe-Raymond version, but maybe better to print out. If you read it on screen, I would recommend the Kalbe-Raymond version.

Best wishes

Balint

hello,

Best regards,

Patrice
From France

Raymond

Dear Balint,

The Hanna index says "Apparently plates 421-432 were not issued.".

Thanks for the URL! It is new to me.

Cheers,
Raymond

Op 20-2-2020 om 00:30 schreef Bálint dr. Márkus:

Dear All,

Best wishes
Balint

hello,

Best regards,

Patrice
From France

JoeGandalf

Hello,
I have been interested in working with more modern diatoms (I mostly have been examining fossil diatoms). Could you please provide me with permission to download the atlas?

Thank You,
Joe

Rob Kimmich

Raymond, this looks like another request for you.  ~Rob

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 4:25 PM JoeGandalf <jgandalf@...> wrote:
Hello,
I have been interested in working with more modern diatoms (I mostly have been examining fossil diatoms). Could you please provide me with permission to download the atlas?

Thank You,
Joe

Dear Joe,

As I am not the owner of the publication I am not able to provide you the permission seek.

Kindest regards

Klaus

On 11 April 2020 at 23:19 JoeGandalf <jgandalf@...> wrote:

Hello,

Thank You,
Joe

Raymond

Yes; action has been taken..

Raymond

Op 12-4-2020 om 01:28 schreef Rob Kimmich:

Hello,

Thank You,
Joe

Rob Kimmich

Thank you, Raymond.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 1:44 AM Raymond Hummelink <ortholux@...> wrote:
Yes; action has been taken..

Raymond

Op 12-4-2020 om 01:28 schreef Rob Kimmich:

Hello,

Thank You,
Joe

John O.

Raymond,
Is the offer of a digital copy of the Atlas still open? If so I could really use a copy to aid in diatom identification. I am currently working with the University of Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico, on a stratigraphic section of the Santiago Diatomite. The Diatomite is in lower Baja California, just east and north of Cabo. The section was collected 30 years ago and the samples are currently being chemically treated using Mandra & Brigger (1973). The samples predominate in diatoms, radiolarians, sponge spicules, and silicoflagellates. I have most of Hanna's diatom publications on the Baja region and in his works he refers to Schmidt's Atlas considerably. I had the privilege of having Dr. Hanna, his wife Margaret, and Dr. Mandra, mentor me during my M.S. theses on the Silicoflagellates of Monterey Bay, California, in 1970. Thank you.
John O'Kane