phase contrast in a vintage scope #microscope

keith stout

I have a vintage Leitz BK scope, 1941 model. It is a bright field scope. It uses an external light source on a mirror located below the condenser to send light through the condenser. I wonder if it is possible to do phase contrast viewing with it. I see phase contrast objectives for sale. I see opaque phase contrast filters that fit in the illumination path. Is this all that is needed to create phase contrast lighting?

Or does this task require so much engineering that it is best to buy a phase contrast scope?

Thanks for any input. Keith

Join diatom-forum@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.