Diatom Forum firstname.lastname@example.org
This forum serves those with a serious interest in the study of diatoms (Bacillariophyta). These microscopic organisms are famous for their ubiquitous occurence in aquatic environments and for the beauty of their silica frustules (shells). They are among the most important primary food producers and constitute the base of many important aquatic food chains.
Our interests range from the taxonomy, evolution, and ecology of diatoms to diatoms as esthetic objects. We see all of these interests as fully compatible.
Our purposes are to (a) communicate among diatomists at all levels of expertise; (b) share images and data regarding diatoms; (c) further the education concerning diatoms; (d) discuss diatom collecting, cleaning, and mounting techniques for observation with the light microscope; (e) assist with identifying diatom specimens; and (f) develop other facets of diatom study that may arise.
This group continues the forum begun by Dick Carter in 2011 on Yahoo from the ashes of an earlier group. The cover photo, taken by Craig Downing, shows a portion of a slide of arranged diatoms created by the Watson Company in the 19th century. Search Messages for "cover photo" for full details.
- 126 Members
- 1,010 Topics, Last Post:
- Started on
- All members can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Posts from new users require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group.
- Subscriptions to this group require approval from the moderators.
- Archive is visible to anyone.
- Wiki is visible to members only.
- Only moderators can create hashtags.
- Members can edit their messages.
- Members can set their subscriptions to no email.
Top Hashtags [See All]
- #glossary diatom terminology 16 topics
- #cleaning cleaning frustules 11 topics
- #cal-invite 9 topics
- #arranging arranging diatom shells on slides 7 topics
- #identifying naming diatoms 3 topics
- #transporting transporting and shipping diatom material 3 topics
- #microscope microscope equipment 3 topics
- #cal-reminder 2 topics
- #atlas atlases of diatom images 2 topics
- #preserving preserving diatom samples 2 topics