Topics

virtual roundtable reminder (Thurs @ 3pm EST)

Rahul

Hello all,

Just writing with a quick reminder that we our hosting a virtual roundtable about building a data culture with our collaborators at Stanford's Digital Impact program this Thursday at 3pm (US Eastern Time).

This will include some background about the Data Culture Program, feature stories from two of our pilot partner orgs, and have time for Q&A.

We hope to hear from many of you then!

Thanks,

Rahul

Rahul Bhargava
http://rahul.connectionlab.org

Meag Doherty

Dear Rahul, Unfortunately, I am unable to join the webinar this afternoon due to connection issues.

Will there be a recording? I am working on a data literacy card game as part of Mozilla's Open Leaders program, and really admire the work you are all doing.

My project is in the discovery phase now and hoping to learn more about your approach.

Kind Regards,
Meag Doherty

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 10:48 AM Rahul <rahulb@...> wrote:
Hello all,

Just writing with a quick reminder that we our hosting a virtual roundtable about building a data culture with our collaborators at Stanford's Digital Impact program this Thursday at 3pm (US Eastern Time).

This will include some background about the Data Culture Program, feature stories from two of our pilot partner orgs, and have time for Q&A.

We hope to hear from many of you then!

Thanks,

Rahul

Rahul Bhargava
http://rahul.connectionlab.org

Rahul

No problems.  The recording and transcript for the roundtable is here:
https://digitalimpact.org/the-data-culture-project-building-data-capacity-with-confidence/

I'd enjoy hearing more about the card game as you develop it.  And I bet others on this list would be good pilot partners for trying it out!

Related - I've been using these flash cards to drive an activity recently:
http://datavizcatalogue.com/blog/using-flash-cards-teaching-data-visualization/
I break students into teams of 3, have them pick pick a card, read about it quickly, find and example to share, and then go around to each time giving them 3 minutes to share back why that particular chart is useful (or not) with the rest of the class.

Rahul

Rodney Gibbs

Thanks, Rahul. I signed up.

I'm remiss in not reaching out to you sooner to apologize for being a poor guinea pig during the test period for the Data Culture Project. Between moving offices and finalizing a strategic plan, as well as our day-to-day stuff, I failed to carve out time to pilot the program with folks here at the Tribune as I planneed. I followed along with the calls and emails, however, and I'm delighted the test period worked out so well.

The good news is now we're tackling the program, starting next week. We've adopted a full data culture training program that kicks off with a series of workshops that you developed for the Data Culture Project. I'm psyched to finally jump in, as are our folks. I'll keep you updated how it goes.

Best regards,

Rodney