Topics

Timing

Spike

Hi folks,
I'm building out a data capacity building plan for our nonprofit, we're about 185 staff/contractors. I'm curious about the timing of many of these activities, I'm hoping to keep our monthly sessions (in each office location) to an hour, but many suggest 30-45 minutes, would two of those in an hour risk being really cramped or rushed?

I'm also thinking about how to incorporate our remote office staff in Arizona into this work, I figure I could plan ahead and ship materials to them at the beginning of the year's sessions, but running Webex each event seems like adding some technical complexity I don't want. But including them is important, any experience on attempting this remotely?
peace
Spike

Rahul

Great to hear you're finding them useful.

You can squeeze two thing into an hour, especially if they pair (as I mentioned on Twitter).  For instance, Paper Spreadsheet can have a quick debrief and bridge easy to WTFCSV. Both speak to data types, asking good questions, and bias. Pairing Deconstruct A Dataviz with Data Sculptures lets you cover going from data to story and types of stories you can tell, so the debriefs/shares can refer to each other.

Remove stuff is hard.  I've run WTFCSV, Deconstruct a Dataviz, and Data Sculptures remotely and figured out ways to make it work. I haven't tried any of the others remotely.  Maybe other folks on the list have tips?

Rahul

Angela Chang

I worked in.a satellite office for a big company for a while and there was nothing more time-wasting than “town-hall" meetings with HQ. We’d have these weekly+ conference phone calls, with hundreds of people listening in and some monotonous droning and Q&A from random people that didn’t affect our work at all. Also, the distraction interrupted our current work flow (since people had to drop everything to be online for the call) and no one said anything usually IMHO if people are not going to talk at a meeting, there is zero reason for them to be there and you can do better just sending a summary email or hearing a recap.  Listening to a few people learning how to unmute/mute across a whole office is so annoying, and we never got an agenda beforehand so there was often very little we could  do to prepare and be useful in these meetings. No real decisions were made at these meetings, and they were just “updates’ from different team members. It was a weekly waste of time for most of us. Maybe it would have been useful for my boss to get the info from his boss and then meet with us (his group of 6) at a time convenient about topics relevant to our projects.

I think a better way would have been to send a detailed agenda before hand, have a live webcast that is archived so people watch afterwards (including all the Q&A at the end), and then have a followup form for everyone to fill out with questions such as (1) questions from you about the presentation (2) what did you learn that is useful and (3) do you have any feedback on the meeting presentation/discussion (e.g. should we talk more about X, or did we get this wrong?).  That way, people who are remote can follow in real0time if they want, or watch it when it suits them. You can ensure they are informed and pay more attention if they know they have to give feedback.

Be organized and send out the agenda proactively, along with current questions, topics of momentum, status for your employees. Focus on meeting people who are physically there with you in real-time, who can contribute information to make decisions. If your people are at a meeting they should be actively contributing, Otherwise, they are being distracted from real work.  Most people want to stay informed, but there’s no reason to not just give them some time to find out what’s happening and give feedback. That’s my 2 cents.
Angela