IFCO-P4P: Being Black in America has become a death sentence: IFCO Protests

iFCO/P4P

Being Black in America
has become a death sentence
IFCO Protests with Righteous Anger!

As people of faith, and people of conscience, we at IFCO believe that everyone deserves respect and justice. We cannot and will not sit by and simply shake our fists in rage. We demand that the U.S. Department of Justice and local prosecutors thoroughly and transparently investigate the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery, as well as similar killings and hold the perpetrators accountable.

If the United States is to be a country under the rule of law, then laws must be fair and fairly applied, without regard to race or economic status. Those who are sworn to uphold and enforce the law must obey as well. This has not been the case throughout our country's history. This is our 'original sin'.

To begin to cleanse this sin, IFCO calls upon Attorney General Barr and prosecutors throughout the country to hold these murderers and others accountable because Black Lives Matter!!

Neutrality and silence at such a time are utterly unacceptable. Last year alone 24% of those who were killed at the hands of the police were Black Americans – almost double the proportion of the Black population in the United States.

In the past few months the brutal and unprovoked killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery clearly illustrated the deep roots of racism and the shameful disregard for Black lives in the United States.

·     In February 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery of Georgia was shot dead while jogging by two White men.
·     In March 26-year-old Breonna Taylor, an EMT from Kentucky, was shot eight times after police forced their way into her apartment unannounced and unidentified.
·    Last week 46-year-old George Floyd was brutally murdered by a police officer who viciously pressed his knee into his neck for eight minutes cutting off his air as he cried out “I can’t breathe".

These are just three recent incidents that we know about. We’ve also seen how White privilege has been used as a weapon against Black people. Just this past week we watched a White woman in Central Park deliberately call 911 frantically claiming that a Black man was threatening her life. Thankfully the man made a video as proof that he had remained calm - it was the woman who made the unfounded claim that could have easily escalated into another senseless attack on an innocent Black man. The question is how many deaths, how many accusations go undocumented?

We have seen how property destruction done by provocateurs or demonstrators have been deliberately used to distract attention from the tens of thousands of demonstrators -- of all races and ethnicity -- who are non-violently calling for the ending of police violence.

May their righteous anger become the cleansing fire to heal our society of its "original sin" of racism and violence.

Let us share your story

Many of you can speak of these demonstrations against police violence from your own experience.
Or you may have poems, articles or quotes to share.

Please email them to us,
we'll post them on our facebook page for all to see.

Please use your 'stimulus' check to help IFCO end the Blockade on Cuba. They're sending aid to countries all over the world!!

Follow us on
social media!

Our delegations will begin again when it's safe to travel. Come to Cuba next fall and winter with IFCO/Pastors for Peace, learn more about this unique and fascinating country.

[Phone: 212-926-5757] [Fax: 212-926-5842]
[E-mail: ifco@...]  [Website: www.ifconews.org]
[418 West 145th Street, New York, NY 10031]
Temporary address during the Pandemic:
IFCO, PO Box 1368, Orange, NJ 07051-1368

Join cubanews@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.