CUBADEBATE: We cannot be complacent with the housing program

Walter Lippmann

cuba-debate

We cannot be complacent with the housing program

By: José Luis Camellón
Translated by Walter Lippmann for CubaNews.

Ramiro Valdés called attention to the violation of the deadlines set to build the basic cell. Photo: Vicente Brito / Escambray.

A critical analysis of the violations around the housing program and the production of construction materials was carried out in Sancti Spíritus by the Vice Prime Minister, Commander of the Revolution, Ramiro Valdés Menéndez, who stressed the need to rescue the capacities to build houses with natural resources and traditional methods.

“We are stopping using local resources to build houses and the established thing is that, if we have clay, we don't have to make blocks; then, no one has the right, neither the individual nor the State, to violate what the housing policy indicates,” said Valdés Menéndez.

Regarding the verifications of the Prosecutor's Office of the housing system, which identified irregularities in the last two years such as houses concluded without being finished, poor quality, violations in the granting of the subsidy and illegalities, he emphasized that “the most serious thing is the violation of established policy, and they are problems that are happening before the eyes of all who have to control it.

“Very often, construction materials do not reach the population, we lack exchange with the people and popular control over these processes. We must pay more attention to the states of opinion of the people, but we cannot allow resources to be diverted to the places that were not assigned,” he added.

From the exchange with representatives of the housing sector, the production of materials and municipal mayors, the urgency of ensuring that the established policies are not violated and that there is discipline in all processes transcended.

Valdés Menéndez called for the creation of productive capacities from the natural resources that exist in each place to respond locally to the accumulated needs and improve the housing fund.

Likewise, it directed better use of disposable raw materials, in particular plastic, to manufacture accessories or other means based on this program, and insisted on harmonizing the combination and use of natural resources with construction techniques and typologies.

At the meeting, which was attended by Deivy Pérez Martín, first secretary of the Party in Sancti Spíritus, the Minister of Construction, René Villafaña, announced the actions that are being carried out to shortly repair the kiln of the Siguaney cement factory, an investment that should stabilize the operation of the industry and its main assortment after several years of productive instability.

Rather than dwell on the statistics of the execution of real estate so far this year, Ramiro Valdés Menéndez stressed that “we cannot be complacent with the housing program. It is not doing experiments, it is implementing what is known, and you have to save time because we have many problems and accumulated needs ”.

(Taken from Escambray )

Join cubanews@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.