Topics

Want to run JTDX on raspberry pi 4

Driekus Heijsteeg

I want to run JTDX on a raspberry pi 4.

What software would you recommend for audio interfacing.

Any other tips and recommendations welcome. Need the thing up and running before Thursday.

Igor Gelmanov

On May 16 2020, at 11:30 am, Driekus Heijsteeg <driekus@...> wrote:
I want to run JTDX on a raspberry pi 4.

What software would you recommend for audio interfacing.

Any other tips and recommendations welcome. Need the thing up and running before Thursday.

Sent from Mailspring

Driekus Heijsteeg

Thanks will try that one

Driekus

On 16 May 2020, at 23:58, Igor Gelmanov <gelmanov@...> wrote:

I use with RaspberryPI - good working.
KN4YNK, Igor

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
On May 16 2020, at 11:30 am, Driekus Heijsteeg <driekus@...> wrote:
I want to run JTDX on a raspberry pi 4.

What software would you recommend for audio interfacing.

Any other tips and recommendations welcome. Need the thing up and running before Thursday.

Sent from Mailspring

Driekus Heijsteeg

I have the Sabrent sound card now, but still no result receiving.
Igor any tips to get it working?

Igor Gelmanov

Hi Driekus
You need select input/output as Shure_xxxxx

On May 23 2020, at 3:36 pm, Driekus Heijsteeg <driekus@...> wrote:
I have the Sabrent sound card now, but still no result receiving.
Igor any tips to get it working?
Sent from Mailspring

Igor Gelmanov

Sorry , my mistake :) select Audio-Input/Output "systemdefault CARD=Device"

On May 23 2020, at 5:48 pm, Igor Gelmanov via groups.io <gelmanov@...> wrote:
Hi Driekus
You need select input/output as Shure_xxxxx

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
On May 23 2020, at 3:36 pm, Driekus Heijsteeg <driekus@...> wrote:
I have the Sabrent sound card now, but still no result receiving.
Igor any tips to get it working?
Sent from Mailspring

Igor Gelmanov

DSB TRXCRV QRPguys + RaspberryPI+Sabrent

On May 23 2020, at 6:09 pm, Igor Gelmanov via groups.io <gelmanov@...> wrote:
Sorry , my mistake :) select Audio-Input/Output "systemdefault CARD=Device"

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
On May 23 2020, at 5:48 pm, Igor Gelmanov via groups.io <gelmanov@...> wrote:
Hi Driekus
You need select input/output as Shure_xxxxx

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
On May 23 2020, at 3:36 pm, Driekus Heijsteeg <driekus@...> wrote:
I have the Sabrent sound card now, but still no result receiving.
Igor any tips to get it working?
Sent from Mailspring

Driekus Heijsteeg

Thanks Igor,

But it gives the same result.

Driekus

Sent from my Phone

On May 24 2020, at 3:29 am, Driekus Heijsteeg <driekus@...> wrote:
Thanks Igor,

But it gives the same result.

Driekus

Sent from my Phone

On 24 May 2020, at 00:09, Igor Gelmanov <gelmanov@...> wrote:

Sorry , my mistake :) select Audio-Input/Output "systemdefault CARD=Device"

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
On May 23 2020, at 5:48 pm, Igor Gelmanov via groups.io <gelmanov@...> wrote:
Hi Driekus
You need select input/output as Shure_xxxxx

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
On May 23 2020, at 3:36 pm, Driekus Heijsteeg <driekus@...> wrote:
I have the Sabrent sound card now, but still no result receiving.
Igor any tips to get it working?
Sent from Mailspring

Thomas Mize KJ4GK <threemanpro@...>

Hello sir, I have had a heck of a time Getting WSJT-X 2.1 to work on Linux or Rashberry PI, because of course it only gives you version 1.0 with the synatic package manager. I have downloaded the proper files form WSJT-X Website and it always has some file that isn't New enough or to new for it not work.

I would love to know how in the world you got JTDX installed on your PI with no problems. That would make my week over here lol. I am hoping you are having luck getting the interface work by now. Thank you sir in advance.

Thomas KJ4GK

Driekus Heijsteeg

Hi Thomas,

Setting up the Pi is not the problem. Its the D4D not poducing any workable output ( only get stable beep sound, not the multibeep like FT8).

Look here for a step for step manual to build the pi for Hamilton radio.

Another way is using the complete automated script. Please watch videos before.

Driekus

Sent from my Phone

On 24 May 2020, at 19:41, Thomas Mize KJ4GK <threemanpro@...> wrote:

Hello sir, I have had a heck of a time Getting WSJT-X 2.1 to work on Linux or Rashberry PI, because of course it only gives you version 1.0 with the synatic package manager. I have downloaded the proper files form WSJT-X Website and it always has some file that isn't New enough or to new for it not work.

I would love to know how in the world you got JTDX installed on your PI with no problems. That would make my week over here lol. I am hoping you are having luck getting the interface work by now. Thank you sir in advance.

Thomas KJ4GK

Driekus Heijsteeg

Thanks Igor

Will check in the morning. I have a C-Media chipset now which should work and ordered the Soundblaster as you recommended.

Very happy to have the manual for sound on the pi. Thank you.

Keep you posted if I make progress.

Driekus

Sent from my Phone

On 24 May 2020, at 18:24, Igor Gelmanov <gelmanov@...> wrote:

[...]

Nigel Young

https://youtu.be/gBokG9FI-NM

Follow along and just use the script for WSJTX, the issue for you is all the dependencies you are missing.
Anyhow take a look at his vids and you'll find lots of stuff for just the Pi.

Nigel ZL1NAY

On Mon., 25 May 2020, 5:41 am Thomas Mize KJ4GK, <threemanpro@...> wrote:
Hello sir, I have had a heck of a time Getting WSJT-X 2.1 to work on Linux or Rashberry PI, because of course it only gives you version 1.0 with the synatic package manager. I have downloaded the proper files form WSJT-X Website and it always has some file that isn't New enough or to new for it not work.

I would love to know how in the world you got JTDX installed on your PI with no problems. That would make my week over here lol. I am hoping you are having luck getting the interface work by now. Thank you sir in advance.

Thomas KJ4GK

William E. Artelt

Hi
I am unable to make JTDX OPERATIONAL on my Raspberry Pi 3B+ running Buster.

As soon as I run it with identical settings I use with FlRig and WSJTx “HamLib” fails immediately and FlRig will not connect to my Ft817.

Closing JTDX and leaving the Hardware settings and cabling alone I re-launch; WSJTx and FlRig, both applications “connect” and WSJTx starts receiving FT8 incoming signals perfectly.

Nothing works with the 40 meter Crkits Transceiver.

Raspberry Pi 3B+
The Software Installed as provided in “Build A Script” via KM4ACK all functional.

Crkits Development
I think if Crkits worked with the Developers of FlRig & WSJTx and tested that little radio it would work correctly! Crkits should also include a “step by step” process for configuration of the 20 & 40 Meter Transceivers. No more of the hit and miss attempts.

Conclusion
Stick with FlRig & WSJTx. (I provided photos how mine is connected).

For a $30 Dollar US it must be plug and play!
Mine was shipped assembled.

Bill
WB9YVM
Fremont, California

On May 24, 2020, at 12:10 PM, Nigel Young <multilec@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, William,

You have proved thus far the radio is working,
You have proved that your sound card is working fine,
You have proved that WSJTX is working.

I would suggest seeing if your JTDX is working through the exact same setup but without connecting to the radio.
If the software connects all is good.
If not the answer may lay with your soundcard with THAT particular software. Very often different softwares call different drivers.

Assuming you can connect, then try the setup with a seperate receiver tuned to your Freq USB and see if you can decode anything.
If so, then maybe the crystals you have are the wrong frequency for that mode or there is no activity.

Or, your frequency may need pulling a little with the help of a small trimmer cap.

Nigel ZL1NAY

On Mon., 25 May 2020, 9:46 am William E. Artelt, <hamradio@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Nigel
I stopped trying to get Crkit working. Since last September I have spent hours trying to make it work yet they say it was functional after assembly I also removed and reinstalled OS and all applications for the Pi I found a video on line that explained on Windows 10 to correct The Sound speaker and Mic Adalvanced Settings then everything worked with my Ft817.
It also works on the Pi.
I use a cheap sound adapter for USB TO Audio and a SoundBlaster via USB both work with the Pi and Ft817. Crkit nothing. I

Maybe there is another FT8 Transceiver out there but for now and for Field Dsy in June my Ft817 works!

Sent from Bill

On May 24, 2020, at 4:05 PM, Nigel Young <multilec@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

That's a shame, I understand how frustrating it can be sometimes when things don't play ball.
This DSB digital circuit is pretty standard fare for this cheaper end of the scale and usually works first time, there's not much to go wrong really unless there are mistakes or maybe a faulty component. The upside is the size, Adam has done a good job with the design but I think I could have minimised it by half 😉
So, I would give it a breather and take another look at it in a few weeks. Fresh eyes see many errors and we're all guilty of that when we pick up something we thought we'd done a great job on.
But as you say, you've had it working on FT8 so I really can't think what the issue could be other than software, because all this is at the end of the day is a little qrp txrx there's not much to go wrong.

73 Nige ZL1NAY

On Mon., 25 May 2020, 11:19 am William E. Artelt, <hamradio@...> wrote:
[...]

Adam Rong

Thanks, Nigel.

Bill,

D4D is a standard audio in and audio out VOX driven device. There is not too much trick there. Sorry but I cannot promise compatibility with all other software and hardware. Here I have added configuration information for Raspberry Pi 3B which I have on hand. I only tested WSJT-x with SoundBlaster Play! 3 which is recommended in my manual.

在 2020年5月25日,上午8:13,Nigel Young <multilec@...> 写道:

[...]

Guys,

It is not a plug and play easy job to connect the whole system and get it working properly. I have a Master degree in Computer Science and I still need help from fellow hams to figure out all the configuration issues.

I wish to explain a bit more in detail while I was testing multiple USB sound cards on Raspberry Pi 3B.

Some low cost sound cards are not working properly, because it has low microphone gain, which will cause audio input too low and noisy, and it has low headphone output power as well, which is not enough to trigger VOX. If you read the manual, D4D needs 600mV RMS and it is higher than the max level of some sound cards.

I have tested Creative SoundBlaster Play! 3 and another one which I am selling along as an option. Both are good.

在 2020年5月25日,上午8:21,Adam Rong via groups.io <rongxh@...> 写道:

[...]

Well Adam months back I stopped using a “generic” sound card and bought a new Sound Blaster Play3 and with that device never worked either.

However, all of that said my several year old original Yaesu FT817 works just great using the “identical “ components and works with the Pi. No issues whatsoever.

The “only” different setting is within WSJTx selecting “None” for Rig Type and Vox. FlRig is also set to “None.” Doesn’t even give a selection choice for the Sound Blaster 3 and the assigned port!

I also set the Pi output/input Sound to proper leveled for Speaker and Mic. That was also check from the Pi’s Sound and Video window and once again it works at set for my Ft817.

Applying my 48 years of Technical Support career (just recently retired), and knowing how to follow a testing sequence of Software & Hardware it appears that little rig has some differences compared to standard transceivers.

No, I am not testing with Windows 10 since that was not my goal for this radio.

Once again, Complete How To Guide is always needed. The time spent on trying this and that is futile.

There was even Facebook Post yesterday where a Ham was trying to get an Ft890 connected to a Pi this should all be plug and play. Didn’t work and nobody offered solutions except try this try that.

Oh well hopefully products will be tested the way a user anticipates using them. Yes you can’t control a product once it leaves the shipping doc but give us a fighting chance or redesign it do it operated!!
Sent from Bill
WB9YVM