Topics

UPDATE: New FT8 Digital Mode Easier on IRF510?

AA7US

I'm pleased to report that yesterday afternoon I was able to get a 20 meter CS-Series transceiver on the air using the new FT8 digital mode.  I made 8 contacts in the span of an hour and the CS-20 barely got warm during the 15 second transmit sequences.

I used the following equipment:

While my CS-20 is capable of about 8 watts max output, I kept the power down during FT8 transmit to around 5 watts by controlling the SignaLink's transmit audio volume.

The longest contact made was 1900 miles (3058 km) from the SW coast of Washington state in the USA to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  That's 380 miles (612 km) per watt.  Fabulous!

Congratulations, John. You did very well.

于 2017-8-19 23:23, landrjoh@... [CHINA_QRP] 写道:

I'm pleased to report that yesterday afternoon I was able to get a 20 meter CS-Series transceiver on the air using the new FT8 digital mode.  I made 8 contacts in the span of an hour and the CS-20 barely got warm during the 15 second transmit sequences.

I used the following equipment:

While my CS-20 is capable of about 8 watts max output, I kept the power down during FT8 transmit to around 5 watts by controlling the SignaLink's transmit audio volume.

The longest contact made was 1900 miles (3058 km) from the SW coast of Washington state in the USA to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  That's 380 miles (612 km) per watt.  Fabulous!

Seeing the video by W6LG about Light Bulb Antenna for FT8, I start to realize that 5 watt for a regular antenna seems too much, hihi.

在 2017年8月20日,上午12:06,Adam Rong rongxh@... [CHINA_QRP] <CHINA_QRP@...> 写道:

Congratulations, John. You did very well.

于 2017-8-19 23:23, landrjoh@... [CHINA_QRP] 写道:

I'm pleased to report that yesterday afternoon I was able to get a 20 meter CS-Series transceiver on the air using the new FT8 digital mode.  I made 8 contacts in the span of an hour and the CS-20 barely got warm during the 15 second transmit sequences.

I used the following equipment:

While my CS-20 is capable of about 8 watts max output, I kept the power down during FT8 transmit to around 5 watts by controlling the SignaLink's transmit audio volume.

The longest contact made was 1900 miles (3058 km) from the SW coast of Washington state in the USA to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  That's 380 miles (612 km) per watt.  Fabulous!

That was funny W6LG using a "lightbulb dipole."  But he did feed it with 100 watts, so not as impressive as if he'd used 5 watts.

Either way, his experiment adds to the near mythical reputation FT8 is developing.