Topics

The perfboards

Jack Margolis

Adam.

I like perfboards but have never seen one like the one you used to build your DSB FTB rig.
Any clue on how to find one like that?

Adam Rong

The perf board is designed and customized by myself. I call it Choc perf board. If you need samples, please PayPal to rongxh@... 2 USD each, plus shipping 5 USD each time.

This article about this perf board was published in Amateur Radio magazine in Wireless Institute of Australia, FYI.
http://crkits.com/chocperfboard.doc

在 2019年5月29日,上午2:39,Jack Margolis <jmargolis9@...> 写道:

Adam.

I like perfboards but have never seen one like the one you used to build your DSB FTB rig.
Any clue on how to find one like that?

Rob <roomberg@...>

Welllllll  ....yes... its official.... I am not qualified to operate this appliance.

I had some Choc Perf Board here that I thought would be good for experimenting with
rotary encoders.

Seemed simple enough.
I had snapped them apart and was playing with just one  of them
and I saw what looked to me like 8 completely isolated pads ....what you see here in the GREEN circle.

Boy was I wrong.
I had soldered a 3 lead rotary encoder into the purple marked pads and added 3 yellow wires to play with GROUND and A and B in the
rotary encoder example sketches.
This failed to get the desired results and kicked this for 2 weeks.... using various encoders......
and then yesterday I used an ohmmeter to figure where I might be shorting out my soldering.
And then found there is a sandwiched layer where the RED and BLUE are.

I don't get it.......
why the hidden layer?
Why not have the traces all connected on the solder side of the board where you can see it?

73 Rob KB3BYT

On 05/28/2019 02:39 PM, Jack Margolis wrote:
Adam.

I like perfboards but have never seen one like the one you used to build your DSB FTB rig.
Any clue on how to find one like that?

Adam Rong

Rob,

I don’t get it. It is not hidden layer. It is just covered by solder mask. The interconnection is shown on the silkscreen printing on the top over layer.

在 2019年5月29日,上午8:48,Rob via Groups.Io <roomberg@...> 写道:

Welllllll  ....yes... its official.... I am not qualified to operate this appliance.

<choccombo.jpg>

[...]

It fooled me.

But then again... I have a vision problem. A really bad vision problem.

So I examine everything with 7 diopter glasses.

I looked at the CHOC board and saw GREEN in between SILVER  squares.

Never for a moment considering that rows of silver were shorted together.

so
I ask the question WHY?
Why not have ALL those pads be visibly connected like in this image I edited to show it:

I definitely agree that is a good design to have the multiple rows of perimeter
and the internal groupings.

I have done almost the same exact thing with my proto PCB I kitchen etched.

I often have extra proto pads I add to PCBs in  groups of three.
Looks like an alien army.

On 05/28/2019 11:05 PM, Adam Rong wrote:
[...]

Good job on your alien army.

The solder mask is used to limit the area of the solder on the pad. I have to admit that the first time users normally will encounter problems but later on they will love it more and more.