Topics

Raspberry pi setup for d4d

Simon C <symen79@...>

while I wait for my d4d kit in the mail, I setup Raspberry pi zero with wsjt-x, and vnc from iPad.

should be a fun addition to my portable setup!

looking forward to receiving my kit :)
Simon VK6MSC

Ron Stone

Simon,

Have you run WSJT-X on a Pi Zero before?  I understand it may not be sufficient for FT8.   I'm thinking of running it on a PI 3 A+ for portable work.

73,

Ron (KA3J)

Trent Trent

Even a rpi 3 cant do FT8

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 at 09:25, Ron Stone <rsstone2@...> wrote:
Simon,

Have you run WSJT-X on a Pi Zero before?  I understand it may not be sufficient for FT8.   I'm thinking of running it on a PI 3 A+ for portable work.

73,

Ron (KA3J)

Simon C <symen79@...>

Hi Ron,

This was my first run with it on a pi zero, worked fb! Not as snappy starting the app from boot etc as the pi 3b+ which also works great. In the field, I believe the performance/ power consumption of the zero will suit me just fine :).

Don't know what Trent is on about, if it doesn't work, explain my screen shot.

73 all

Simon.

Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...>

News to me Trent, I've run it successfully on a Pi3 and there are plenty of YouTube videos showing others doing the same.

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 00:38 Trent Trent, <vk7hrs@...> wrote:
Even a rpi 3 cant do FT8

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 at 09:25, Ron Stone <rsstone2@...> wrote:
Simon,

Have you run WSJT-X on a Pi Zero before?  I understand it may not be sufficient for FT8.   I'm thinking of running it on a PI 3 A+ for portable work.

73,

Ron (KA3J)

Juha Lindfors

It runs Ft8, but if there are a lot of stations - a lot to decode then it has no time to get an answer before the next cycle begins. Otherwise it runs ok.

Juha, oh8cw

to 25. heinäkuuta 2019 klo 9.46 Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...> kirjoitti:

News to me Trent, I've run it successfully on a Pi3 and there are plenty of YouTube videos showing others doing the same.

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 00:38 Trent Trent, <vk7hrs@...> wrote:
Even a rpi 3 cant do FT8

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 at 09:25, Ron Stone <rsstone2@...> wrote:
Simon,

Have you run WSJT-X on a Pi Zero before?  I understand it may not be sufficient for FT8.   I'm thinking of running it on a PI 3 A+ for portable work.

73,

Ron (KA3J)

Adam Rong

Change decode from deep to normal and try again.

在 2019年7月25日,下午3:43,Juha Lindfors <lindfors.juha@...> 写道:

It runs Ft8, but if there are a lot of stations - a lot to decode then it has no time to get an answer before the next cycle begins. Otherwise it runs ok.

Juha, oh8cw

to 25. heinäkuuta 2019 klo 9.46 Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...> kirjoitti:
News to me Trent, I've run it successfully on a Pi3 and there are plenty of YouTube videos showing others doing the same.

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 00:38 Trent Trent, <vk7hrs@...> wrote:
Even a rpi 3 cant do FT8

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 at 09:25, Ron Stone <rsstone2@...> wrote:
Simon,

Have you run WSJT-X on a Pi Zero before?  I understand it may not be sufficient for FT8.   I'm thinking of running it on a PI 3 A+ for portable work.

73,

Ron (KA3J)

Juha Lindfors

Done, but ...

to 25. heinäkuuta 2019 klo 11.04 Adam Rong <rongxh@...> kirjoitti:

[...]

Change to fast then.

在 2019年7月25日,下午4:08,Juha Lindfors <lindfors.juha@...> 写道:

[...]

This happens on 20 when the band is very crowded and calling cq. Replying to others is ok.

Juha, Oh8cw

[...]

Checked. Fast, both wideband decoding and narrow filter. Decoder sensitivity seems to be minimum.

Juha, Oh8cw

to 25. heinäkuuta 2019 klo 11.11 Juha Lindfors via Groups.Io <lindfors.juha=gmail.com@groups.io> kirjoitti:

[...]

As others have indicated, the Zero will work best when responding to others, and may not complete the decode quickly enough when you're calling CQ.  However, can anyone confirm that the Zero is fast enough even when just responding to someone else's CQ or tail ending - that is, before the next transmission cycle begins?

73,

Ron (KA3J)

Trent Trent

I can tell ya now that a pi3 wont fuckin work for ft8,i had it on my ft897 and it was way too slow decoding and that was using it as a desktop computer and nothing else runnin

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 at 00:25, Ron Stone <rsstone2@...> wrote:
Simon,

As others have indicated, the Zero will work best when responding to others, and may not complete the decode quickly enough when you're calling CQ.  However, can anyone confirm that the Zero is fast enough even when just responding to someone else's CQ or tail ending - that is, before the next transmission cycle begins?

73,

Ron (KA3J)

Simon C <symen79@...>

Edited

I will try it when the d4d arrives and post my findings. I have a spare 3b+ as well in case the zero does not work out :)

I think trent needs a chill pill, take it easy there fella.

Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...>

Jeez, alright fella. It didn't work for you. Chill out.

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019, 01:23 Trent Trent, <vk7hrs@...> wrote:
I can tell ya now that a pi3 wont fuckin work for ft8,i had it on my ft897 and it was way too slow decoding and that was using it as a desktop computer and nothing else runnin

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 at 00:25, Ron Stone <rsstone2@...> wrote:
Simon,

As others have indicated, the Zero will work best when responding to others, and may not complete the decode quickly enough when you're calling CQ.  However, can anyone confirm that the Zero is fast enough even when just responding to someone else's CQ or tail ending - that is, before the next transmission cycle begins?

73,

Ron (KA3J)

willie b

waiting for my d4d kit... i have just received two new RPi4s (2GB and 4GB); they seem 'faster' running many applications... i'm hoping that the additional memory and faster CPU may help with some digital apps... i'll give ft8 a shot (may overclock?)

currently running W7QT's nice panadapter python scripts on an RPI3 w/a Xiegu X5105 (which has an IF port!)...also, gqrx works FB as well on the RPi3, but is 'in progress' on the RPi4 due to USB initialization/handling:

RPi Panadapter

72,
bill, kg4zqz