Topics

Mini FT8 Station

Jim WB2LHP in MI
 

Here are some pictures of my mini FT8 station I built for Field Day. It is built around a Sunfounder 7" hi-res screen and Raspberry Pi 3B. It uses a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, $15 GPS module and $5 sound card interface. The entire package runs off 12 volts at about 720ma in transmit. It is easily run from a solar/gel cell power source. I've been running this setup with a low elevation 40m dipole and routinely work out 300-400 miles daily. The D4D is a perfect match for this type of operation. Thanks again to Adam for a terrific product.

tem494@...
 

Jim
Would you be kind enough to share a parts list for your set up looks very sharp.
You can email me direct if you wish. Looks like a perfect setup to keep in the car.

Tom
K0amd


On Friday, November 29, 2019, Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...> wrote:
Here are some pictures of my mini FT8 station I built for Field Day. It is built around a Sunfounder 7" hi-res screen and Raspberry Pi 3B. It uses a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, $15 GPS module and $5 sound card interface. The entire package runs off 12 volts at about 720ma in transmit. It is easily run from a solar/gel cell power source. I've been running this setup with a low elevation 40m dipole and routinely work out 300-400 miles daily. The D4D is a perfect match for this type of operation. Thanks again to Adam for a terrific product.

Jim WB2LHP in MI
 

Here are examples of the components I used...You can shop around for best prices but this Sunfounder monitor and GPS dongle in particular are what you want...I got mine open box for $40...The other items are fairly generic...I mounted everything on a small clipboard (with the clip removed) ...Don't forget about the RPi 3 and memory card...There is a YouTube video for setting up the GPS module with the RPi...Be sure to use Raspbian Buster for your OS...NOOBS will not work...


https://www.ebay.com/itm/VK-172-GMOUSE-USB-GPS-Receiver-Glonass-Support-Windows-10-8-7-Vista-XP/264092081104?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3d7d1d5bd0:g:KDQAAOSwafddzsZn&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWiPRjYSkpFCpJi7LAFyQGNt0wxqYA27MA%2BUE7N3%2B7cuiAgaYAkvSKAu5rYu8hnSGeAxRF5KFaQHgEL6LOaDX5VBuoNb9wBRHTx8dBgTVYcK2CI%2Bg3qeii51qgvVo2pg1jfHkFnA2evg4hvE81BCb0%2B6GipJ%2Bt9sPZkEyMeKQjKqlDo%2FsIJxIwmqarzJyT1wrmxUd4VzQPzuAQmUoq55UdFrEhVJJiI58yWYl%2Bto9Dzei%2Fe3wGlK0JHXxXIkRqrbr2m%2BeNITPS787kyyRoBCARua2AUN0D4aCQCYftjN1j40KqkSTqJ2araGIqIvwPP3rpXLQ3HpSxZj3y90pFMQL%2FF8ppIGUgNHIWZxho4ASkTJB1JsjLJToyauqFkg2H2q%2BSHgpVErktp%2FTg88SwYhWNVsaZAQ3T3nDrURNkPwg%2Bs%2FOPaDv566ulozZ0QEHFjYz7C0SVG%2Fiin%2F5YUwCxaaJ4joau1PvyHFxQqMLPIZwECBDKlNQpwFxfqTQN00CT93J6Xt6oSNYJ8QKQ%2F16tn6K2lRsg5ypoDYANx9h57Ld9PYn2nELeOcEo9aKsoH64tZv0WZjrpV9xozWKIW2w4uwiG2WCZ9ZVImo9gGa%2BDNv8SIsdIStp94lwNwHiJHKH%2FyL3NbLZ3atnNVQ3p8G6LPse9oGwYqkjZu5PMF1hvFJOUZY0LnjkdDejKBWfWn4NVYcUfRuZnSPtbjtrd1Ya3t5ENXQ0R5jgpiK33bWLOeWiZuA%3D%3D&checksum=2640920811046e57240d8ab34ee7b6418f1694e463b9&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWiPRjYSkpFCpJi7LAFyQGNt0wxqYA27MA%2BUE7N3%2B7cuiAgaYAkvSKAu5rYu8hnSGeAxRF5KFaQHgEL6LOaDX5VBuoNb9wBRHTx8dBgTVYcK2CI%2Bg3qeii51qgvVo2pg1jfHkFnA2evg4hvE81BCb0%2B6GipJ%2Bt9sPZkEyMeKQjKqlDo%2FsIJxIwmqarzJyT1wrmxUd4VzQPzuAQmUoq55UdFrEhVJJiI58yWYl%2Bto9Dzei%2Fe3wGlK0JHXxXIkRqrbr2m%2BeNITPS787kyyRoBCARua2AUN0D4aCQCYftjN1j40KqkSTqJ2araGIqIvwPP3rpXLQ3HpSxZj3y90pFMQL%2FF8ppIGUgNHIWZxho4ASkTJB1JsjLJToyauqFkg2H2q%2BSHgpVErktp%2FTg88SwYhWNVsaZAQ3T3nDrURNkPwg%2Bs%2FOPaDv566ulozZ0QEHFjYz7C0SVG%2Fiin%2F5YUwCxaaJ4joau1PvyHFxQqMLPIZwECBDKlNQpwFxfqTQN00CT93J6Xt6oSNYJ8QKQ%2F16tn6K2lRsg5ypoDYANx9h57Ld9PYn2nELeOcEo9aKsoH64tZv0WZjrpV9xozWKIW2w4uwiG2WCZ9ZVImo9gGa%2BDNv8SIsdIStp94lwNwHiJHKH%2FyL3NbLZ3atnNVQ3p8G6LPse9oGwYqkjZu5PMF1hvFJOUZY0LnjkdDejKBWfWn4NVYcUfRuZnSPtbjtrd1Ya3t5ENXQ0R5jgpiK33bWLOeWiZuA%3D%3D&checksum=2640920811046e57240d8ab34ee7b6418f1694e463b9


I hope this helps...Jim WB2LHP


On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:47 PM <tem494@...> wrote:
Jim
Would you be kind enough to share a parts list for your set up looks very sharp.
You can email me direct if you wish. Looks like a perfect setup to keep in the car.

Tom
K0amd

On Friday, November 29, 2019, Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...> wrote:
Here are some pictures of my mini FT8 station I built for Field Day. It is built around a Sunfounder 7" hi-res screen and Raspberry Pi 3B. It uses a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, $15 GPS module and $5 sound card interface. The entire package runs off 12 volts at about 720ma in transmit. It is easily run from a solar/gel cell power source. I've been running this setup with a low elevation 40m dipole and routinely work out 300-400 miles daily. The D4D is a perfect match for this type of operation. Thanks again to Adam for a terrific product.

tem494@...
 

Thank you


On Friday, November 29, 2019, Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...> wrote:
Here are examples of the components I used...You can shop around for best prices but this Sunfounder monitor and GPS dongle in particular are what you want...I got mine open box for $40...The other items are fairly generic...I mounted everything on a small clipboard (with the clip removed) ...Don't forget about the RPi 3 and memory card...There is a YouTube video for setting up the GPS module with the RPi...Be sure to use Raspbian Buster for your OS...NOOBS will not work...


https://www.ebay.com/itm/VK-172-GMOUSE-USB-GPS-Receiver-Glonass-Support-Windows-10-8-7-Vista-XP/264092081104?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3d7d1d5bd0:g:KDQAAOSwafddzsZn&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWiPRjYSkpFCpJi7LAFyQGNt0wxqYA27MA%2BUE7N3%2B7cuiAgaYAkvSKAu5rYu8hnSGeAxRF5KFaQHgEL6LOaDX5VBuoNb9wBRHTx8dBgTVYcK2CI%2Bg3qeii51qgvVo2pg1jfHkFnA2evg4hvE81BCb0%2B6GipJ%2Bt9sPZkEyMeKQjKqlDo%2FsIJxIwmqarzJyT1wrmxUd4VzQPzuAQmUoq55UdFrEhVJJiI58yWYl%2Bto9Dzei%2Fe3wGlK0JHXxXIkRqrbr2m%2BeNITPS787kyyRoBCARua2AUN0D4aCQCYftjN1j40KqkSTqJ2araGIqIvwPP3rpXLQ3HpSxZj3y90pFMQL%2FF8ppIGUgNHIWZxho4ASkTJB1JsjLJToyauqFkg2H2q%2BSHgpVErktp%2FTg88SwYhWNVsaZAQ3T3nDrURNkPwg%2Bs%2FOPaDv566ulozZ0QEHFjYz7C0SVG%2Fiin%2F5YUwCxaaJ4joau1PvyHFxQqMLPIZwECBDKlNQpwFxfqTQN00CT93J6Xt6oSNYJ8QKQ%2F16tn6K2lRsg5ypoDYANx9h57Ld9PYn2nELeOcEo9aKsoH64tZv0WZjrpV9xozWKIW2w4uwiG2WCZ9ZVImo9gGa%2BDNv8SIsdIStp94lwNwHiJHKH%2FyL3NbLZ3atnNVQ3p8G6LPse9oGwYqkjZu5PMF1hvFJOUZY0LnjkdDejKBWfWn4NVYcUfRuZnSPtbjtrd1Ya3t5ENXQ0R5jgpiK33bWLOeWiZuA%3D%3D&checksum=2640920811046e57240d8ab34ee7b6418f1694e463b9&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWiPRjYSkpFCpJi7LAFyQGNt0wxqYA27MA%2BUE7N3%2B7cuiAgaYAkvSKAu5rYu8hnSGeAxRF5KFaQHgEL6LOaDX5VBuoNb9wBRHTx8dBgTVYcK2CI%2Bg3qeii51qgvVo2pg1jfHkFnA2evg4hvE81BCb0%2B6GipJ%2Bt9sPZkEyMeKQjKqlDo%2FsIJxIwmqarzJyT1wrmxUd4VzQPzuAQmUoq55UdFrEhVJJiI58yWYl%2Bto9Dzei%2Fe3wGlK0JHXxXIkRqrbr2m%2BeNITPS787kyyRoBCARua2AUN0D4aCQCYftjN1j40KqkSTqJ2araGIqIvwPP3rpXLQ3HpSxZj3y90pFMQL%2FF8ppIGUgNHIWZxho4ASkTJB1JsjLJToyauqFkg2H2q%2BSHgpVErktp%2FTg88SwYhWNVsaZAQ3T3nDrURNkPwg%2Bs%2FOPaDv566ulozZ0QEHFjYz7C0SVG%2Fiin%2F5YUwCxaaJ4joau1PvyHFxQqMLPIZwECBDKlNQpwFxfqTQN00CT93J6Xt6oSNYJ8QKQ%2F16tn6K2lRsg5ypoDYANx9h57Ld9PYn2nELeOcEo9aKsoH64tZv0WZjrpV9xozWKIW2w4uwiG2WCZ9ZVImo9gGa%2BDNv8SIsdIStp94lwNwHiJHKH%2FyL3NbLZ3atnNVQ3p8G6LPse9oGwYqkjZu5PMF1hvFJOUZY0LnjkdDejKBWfWn4NVYcUfRuZnSPtbjtrd1Ya3t5ENXQ0R5jgpiK33bWLOeWiZuA%3D%3D&checksum=2640920811046e57240d8ab34ee7b6418f1694e463b9


I hope this helps...Jim WB2LHP

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:47 PM <tem494@...> wrote:
Jim
Would you be kind enough to share a parts list for your set up looks very sharp.
You can email me direct if you wish. Looks like a perfect setup to keep in the car.

Tom
K0amd

On Friday, November 29, 2019, Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...> wrote:
Here are some pictures of my mini FT8 station I built for Field Day. It is built around a Sunfounder 7" hi-res screen and Raspberry Pi 3B. It uses a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, $15 GPS module and $5 sound card interface. The entire package runs off 12 volts at about 720ma in transmit. It is easily run from a solar/gel cell power source. I've been running this setup with a low elevation 40m dipole and routinely work out 300-400 miles daily. The D4D is a perfect match for this type of operation. Thanks again to Adam for a terrific product.

Jim WB2LHP in MI
 

If you had to buy everything "brand new" you'd probably be under $200...Not bad for a complete portable/mobile/fixed FT8 station...

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 1:51 PM <tem494@...> wrote:
Thank you

On Friday, November 29, 2019, Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...> wrote:
Here are examples of the components I used...You can shop around for best prices but this Sunfounder monitor and GPS dongle in particular are what you want...I got mine open box for $40...The other items are fairly generic...I mounted everything on a small clipboard (with the clip removed) ...Don't forget about the RPi 3 and memory card...There is a YouTube video for setting up the GPS module with the RPi...Be sure to use Raspbian Buster for your OS...NOOBS will not work...


https://www.ebay.com/itm/VK-172-GMOUSE-USB-GPS-Receiver-Glonass-Support-Windows-10-8-7-Vista-XP/264092081104?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3d7d1d5bd0:g:KDQAAOSwafddzsZn&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWiPRjYSkpFCpJi7LAFyQGNt0wxqYA27MA%2BUE7N3%2B7cuiAgaYAkvSKAu5rYu8hnSGeAxRF5KFaQHgEL6LOaDX5VBuoNb9wBRHTx8dBgTVYcK2CI%2Bg3qeii51qgvVo2pg1jfHkFnA2evg4hvE81BCb0%2B6GipJ%2Bt9sPZkEyMeKQjKqlDo%2FsIJxIwmqarzJyT1wrmxUd4VzQPzuAQmUoq55UdFrEhVJJiI58yWYl%2Bto9Dzei%2Fe3wGlK0JHXxXIkRqrbr2m%2BeNITPS787kyyRoBCARua2AUN0D4aCQCYftjN1j40KqkSTqJ2araGIqIvwPP3rpXLQ3HpSxZj3y90pFMQL%2FF8ppIGUgNHIWZxho4ASkTJB1JsjLJToyauqFkg2H2q%2BSHgpVErktp%2FTg88SwYhWNVsaZAQ3T3nDrURNkPwg%2Bs%2FOPaDv566ulozZ0QEHFjYz7C0SVG%2Fiin%2F5YUwCxaaJ4joau1PvyHFxQqMLPIZwECBDKlNQpwFxfqTQN00CT93J6Xt6oSNYJ8QKQ%2F16tn6K2lRsg5ypoDYANx9h57Ld9PYn2nELeOcEo9aKsoH64tZv0WZjrpV9xozWKIW2w4uwiG2WCZ9ZVImo9gGa%2BDNv8SIsdIStp94lwNwHiJHKH%2FyL3NbLZ3atnNVQ3p8G6LPse9oGwYqkjZu5PMF1hvFJOUZY0LnjkdDejKBWfWn4NVYcUfRuZnSPtbjtrd1Ya3t5ENXQ0R5jgpiK33bWLOeWiZuA%3D%3D&checksum=2640920811046e57240d8ab34ee7b6418f1694e463b9&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWiPRjYSkpFCpJi7LAFyQGNt0wxqYA27MA%2BUE7N3%2B7cuiAgaYAkvSKAu5rYu8hnSGeAxRF5KFaQHgEL6LOaDX5VBuoNb9wBRHTx8dBgTVYcK2CI%2Bg3qeii51qgvVo2pg1jfHkFnA2evg4hvE81BCb0%2B6GipJ%2Bt9sPZkEyMeKQjKqlDo%2FsIJxIwmqarzJyT1wrmxUd4VzQPzuAQmUoq55UdFrEhVJJiI58yWYl%2Bto9Dzei%2Fe3wGlK0JHXxXIkRqrbr2m%2BeNITPS787kyyRoBCARua2AUN0D4aCQCYftjN1j40KqkSTqJ2araGIqIvwPP3rpXLQ3HpSxZj3y90pFMQL%2FF8ppIGUgNHIWZxho4ASkTJB1JsjLJToyauqFkg2H2q%2BSHgpVErktp%2FTg88SwYhWNVsaZAQ3T3nDrURNkPwg%2Bs%2FOPaDv566ulozZ0QEHFjYz7C0SVG%2Fiin%2F5YUwCxaaJ4joau1PvyHFxQqMLPIZwECBDKlNQpwFxfqTQN00CT93J6Xt6oSNYJ8QKQ%2F16tn6K2lRsg5ypoDYANx9h57Ld9PYn2nELeOcEo9aKsoH64tZv0WZjrpV9xozWKIW2w4uwiG2WCZ9ZVImo9gGa%2BDNv8SIsdIStp94lwNwHiJHKH%2FyL3NbLZ3atnNVQ3p8G6LPse9oGwYqkjZu5PMF1hvFJOUZY0LnjkdDejKBWfWn4NVYcUfRuZnSPtbjtrd1Ya3t5ENXQ0R5jgpiK33bWLOeWiZuA%3D%3D&checksum=2640920811046e57240d8ab34ee7b6418f1694e463b9


I hope this helps...Jim WB2LHP

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:47 PM <tem494@...> wrote:
Jim
Would you be kind enough to share a parts list for your set up looks very sharp.
You can email me direct if you wish. Looks like a perfect setup to keep in the car.

Tom
K0amd

On Friday, November 29, 2019, Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...> wrote:
Here are some pictures of my mini FT8 station I built for Field Day. It is built around a Sunfounder 7" hi-res screen and Raspberry Pi 3B. It uses a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, $15 GPS module and $5 sound card interface. The entire package runs off 12 volts at about 720ma in transmit. It is easily run from a solar/gel cell power source. I've been running this setup with a low elevation 40m dipole and routinely work out 300-400 miles daily. The D4D is a perfect match for this type of operation. Thanks again to Adam for a terrific product.

Jim Manley
 

Just a tip about posting ePrey (eBay) URLs, you don't need to include anything from the question mark and onward, so, the URLs posted can be simplified to:

Thomas Mize KJ4GK
 

Hello Jim, 

I want to HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHLY COMMEND you on that project. When I saw this my EYEs got so big. This is absolutely AMAZING MAN!!!!
I want this EXACT setup brother. It would be a huge blessing if you could post the part list down to which PIE to get. I am a 80s baby that started programming in Visual Basic 3.0 designing proggies(program) for Aol 2.5 for windows 3.11 and have kept programming with Microsoft Programming Language every since but I hate to admit I haven't kept up with other technology like I should have. Meaning I had to admit I haven't even purchased a Raspberry Pie Yet. :( I know I know, that is almost a sin lol.

I don't want to bore you but I got into FT8 back in June and now Over 16,000 Stations worked later I am a FT8 Fanatic. To the point to where back 3 months ago I started designing a program at first with only "ME" in mind to enhance my FT8 Experience. Now I have not only "ME" in mind but others all the way from regular Everyday OP to Contest Stations, Hardcore DX Chasers, and Handy Hams.

To me what makes my program so powerful via working with WSJT-X & JT ALERT(THE POWERFUL DUO), it as well works with Hamspots.net which receives spots sometimes up to 23secs straight from JT ALert.

So once you bring Spots into the picture on the FLY, to me the FT8 Experience becomes more Interesting.

     1.  I am able to all the stations that are hearing(decoding) me quickly as a single transmission a times.
     2.  I am able to view my own spots allowing me to see in a list form all the stations that is currently on the Band on the FLY!
     3.  Via the stations that are spotting me, I am able to see what I call a SPOT MATCH! Meaning, I have spotted the Stations and they have spotted me!
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?  This mean just via the Spotting Network, It has shown me this Station is going to be a 100 percent contact if I just work them.
They HEAR ME, I HEAR THEM!
     4.  Just from this list form, I am able to double click on a call sign to attempt working the person.
     
Once this is mixed with a little more Automation and even the Option of FULL Automation for Contesting or a Handy Ham(I don't recommend this for Regular Operators or unless they are sitting in front of the Computer) What fun would be working stations on AUTO without being there to see it in Action RIGHT???

Well any way I may have turned this into an advertising post which I didn't attend to do, but I main point is I would LOVE to be able to work FT8 from 2 stations at one time and that is why I starting looking in to this.

If I could get this set up, and incorporate my program, by the way which is called WSJT-X Automizer(Yeah kinda Corny huh?) into a setup like yours it would be great man.

Imma see if I can post a few screen shots of my program in Action. Bribing Spots into the mix really widens the view and enhances your FT8 experience to me.

By the way if you or anyone reading this would be interested in Beta Testing this once I am ready to release, just shoot me an email or message. You don't have to have JT Alert to run it but you do if you want to enjoy the whole experience. Plus you need to go to Hamspots.net and make an account. 



Last but not Least, again, YOU DID AN AMAZING JOB ON THIS PROJECT BROTHER!!!!
 
I would love to be able to view a video of this bad boy working and also being put together. 

I am as well an Amplifier builder and I plan to design an amplifier just for this project to give around 100w output for 80-10m that can be as well ran out in the field portable form a nice battery.


Keep in mind, I built this software ontop of an exiting project and I haven't yet worked out the Interface(The way it looks), so It doesn't look to good at the moment lol. I always work on that last.

Thomas Mize KJ4GK
 

Sorry Jim, one last question. The way you have the PIE mounted on the back of the screen. Was that something that you came up with on your own or was there a mounting spot on the back?

Sorry if it sounds like newbie question lol, I have no idea of that screen is designed for a Pie or if it is a generic screen.

Thanks again buddy. I am so Jealous man in a positive way.

Thomas
KJ4GK

Jim WB2LHP in MI
 

Hi Thomas...Thanks for the kind words...First, I am still new to FT8...I was introduced to it at Field Day this year...I am not an expert in anything but I've always been a builder so Adam's kit really caught my eye...I am also relatively new to the Raspberry Pi...I am NOT a programmer...It's just not in my wheelhouse...This particular Sunfounder display has a 1024x600 resolution so It works very well for a small screen and WSJT-X...Mine came with a mount for the Raspberry Pi, the HDMI and power cables, and a wall supply...I can't speak for other similar units...I think any 40-pin Raspberry Pi unit will work but the faster the better...I'm sure there are others more knowledgeable than I am about the hardware...Again, I built this for FD 2020 to run from a solar/battery combo...The FT8 station we has this year was not efficient or portable enough...I hope this helps...Jim WB2LHP...Not dead, just retired...

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 5:46 PM Thomas Mize KJ4GK <threemanpro@...> wrote:
Sorry Jim, one last question. The way you have the PIE mounted on the back of the screen. Was that something that you came up with on your own or was there a mounting spot on the back?

Sorry if it sounds like newbie question lol, I have no idea of that screen is designed for a Pie or if it is a generic screen.

Thanks again buddy. I am so Jealous man in a positive way.

Thomas
KJ4GK

Adam Rong
 

Kind reminder: Don’t add an amplifier for a DSB transceiver for digital, as your neighbors will complain to you about adjacent channel interference.

Thanks,
Adam

在 2019年11月30日,上午6:46,Thomas Mize KJ4GK <threemanpro@...> 写道:

Hello Jim, 

I want to HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHLY COMMEND you on that project. When I saw this my EYEs got so big. This is absolutely AMAZING MAN!!!!
I want this EXACT setup brother. It would be a huge blessing if you could post the part list down to which PIE to get. I am a 80s baby that started programming in Visual Basic 3.0 designing proggies(program) for Aol 2.5 for windows 3.11 and have kept programming with Microsoft Programming Language every since but I hate to admit I haven't kept up with other technology like I should have. Meaning I had to admit I haven't even purchased a Raspberry Pie Yet. :( I know I know, that is almost a sin lol.

I don't want to bore you but I got into FT8 back in June and now Over 16,000 Stations worked later I am a FT8 Fanatic. To the point to where back 3 months ago I started designing a program at first with only "ME" in mind to enhance my FT8 Experience. Now I have not only "ME" in mind but others all the way from regular Everyday OP to Contest Stations, Hardcore DX Chasers, and Handy Hams.

To me what makes my program so powerful via working with WSJT-X & JT ALERT(THE POWERFUL DUO), it as well works with Hamspots.net which receives spots sometimes up to 23secs straight from JT ALert.

So once you bring Spots into the picture on the FLY, to me the FT8 Experience becomes more Interesting.

     1.  I am able to all the stations that are hearing(decoding) me quickly as a single transmission a times.
     2.  I am able to view my own spots allowing me to see in a list form all the stations that is currently on the Band on the FLY!
     3.  Via the stations that are spotting me, I am able to see what I call a SPOT MATCH! Meaning, I have spotted the Stations and they have spotted me!
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?  This mean just via the Spotting Network, It has shown me this Station is going to be a 100 percent contact if I just work them.
They HEAR ME, I HEAR THEM!
     4.  Just from this list form, I am able to double click on a call sign to attempt working the person.
     
Once this is mixed with a little more Automation and even the Option of FULL Automation for Contesting or a Handy Ham(I don't recommend this for Regular Operators or unless they are sitting in front of the Computer) What fun would be working stations on AUTO without being there to see it in Action RIGHT???

Well any way I may have turned this into an advertising post which I didn't attend to do, but I main point is I would LOVE to be able to work FT8 from 2 stations at one time and that is why I starting looking in to this.

If I could get this set up, and incorporate my program, by the way which is called WSJT-X Automizer(Yeah kinda Corny huh?) into a setup like yours it would be great man.

Imma see if I can post a few screen shots of my program in Action. Bribing Spots into the mix really widens the view and enhances your FT8 experience to me.

By the way if you or anyone reading this would be interested in Beta Testing this once I am ready to release, just shoot me an email or message. You don't have to have JT Alert to run it but you do if you want to enjoy the whole experience. Plus you need to go to Hamspots.net and make an account. 



Last but not Least, again, YOU DID AN AMAZING JOB ON THIS PROJECT BROTHER!!!!
 
I would love to be able to view a video of this bad boy working and also being put together. 

I am as well an Amplifier builder and I plan to design an amplifier just for this project to give around 100w output for 80-10m that can be as well ran out in the field portable form a nice battery.


Keep in mind, I built this software ontop of an exiting project and I haven't yet worked out the Interface(The way it looks), so It doesn't look to good at the moment lol. I always work on that last.

<spot.jpg>
<screenshot.jpg>

Jim WB2LHP in MI
 

Thanks Adam...No need or desire for an amplifier...1 watt is plenty and gives me the challenge I'm looking for...I get a lot of replies with QRP in the CQ message...Anything greater than QRP is just like shooting fish in a barrel...Thanks for a great product...Jim WB2LHP

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 8:57 PM Adam Rong <rongxh@...> wrote:
Kind reminder: Don’t add an amplifier for a DSB transceiver for digital, as your neighbors will complain to you about adjacent channel interference.

Thanks,
Adam

在 2019年11月30日,上午6:46,Thomas Mize KJ4GK <threemanpro@...> 写道:

Hello Jim, 

I want to HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHLY COMMEND you on that project. When I saw this my EYEs got so big. This is absolutely AMAZING MAN!!!!
I want this EXACT setup brother. It would be a huge blessing if you could post the part list down to which PIE to get. I am a 80s baby that started programming in Visual Basic 3.0 designing proggies(program) for Aol 2.5 for windows 3.11 and have kept programming with Microsoft Programming Language every since but I hate to admit I haven't kept up with other technology like I should have. Meaning I had to admit I haven't even purchased a Raspberry Pie Yet. :( I know I know, that is almost a sin lol.

I don't want to bore you but I got into FT8 back in June and now Over 16,000 Stations worked later I am a FT8 Fanatic. To the point to where back 3 months ago I started designing a program at first with only "ME" in mind to enhance my FT8 Experience. Now I have not only "ME" in mind but others all the way from regular Everyday OP to Contest Stations, Hardcore DX Chasers, and Handy Hams.

To me what makes my program so powerful via working with WSJT-X & JT ALERT(THE POWERFUL DUO), it as well works with Hamspots.net which receives spots sometimes up to 23secs straight from JT ALert.

So once you bring Spots into the picture on the FLY, to me the FT8 Experience becomes more Interesting.

     1.  I am able to all the stations that are hearing(decoding) me quickly as a single transmission a times.
     2.  I am able to view my own spots allowing me to see in a list form all the stations that is currently on the Band on the FLY!
     3.  Via the stations that are spotting me, I am able to see what I call a SPOT MATCH! Meaning, I have spotted the Stations and they have spotted me!
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?  This mean just via the Spotting Network, It has shown me this Station is going to be a 100 percent contact if I just work them.
They HEAR ME, I HEAR THEM!
     4.  Just from this list form, I am able to double click on a call sign to attempt working the person.
     
Once this is mixed with a little more Automation and even the Option of FULL Automation for Contesting or a Handy Ham(I don't recommend this for Regular Operators or unless they are sitting in front of the Computer) What fun would be working stations on AUTO without being there to see it in Action RIGHT???

Well any way I may have turned this into an advertising post which I didn't attend to do, but I main point is I would LOVE to be able to work FT8 from 2 stations at one time and that is why I starting looking in to this.

If I could get this set up, and incorporate my program, by the way which is called WSJT-X Automizer(Yeah kinda Corny huh?) into a setup like yours it would be great man.

Imma see if I can post a few screen shots of my program in Action. Bribing Spots into the mix really widens the view and enhances your FT8 experience to me.

By the way if you or anyone reading this would be interested in Beta Testing this once I am ready to release, just shoot me an email or message. You don't have to have JT Alert to run it but you do if you want to enjoy the whole experience. Plus you need to go to Hamspots.net and make an account. 



Last but not Least, again, YOU DID AN AMAZING JOB ON THIS PROJECT BROTHER!!!!
 
I would love to be able to view a video of this bad boy working and also being put together. 

I am as well an Amplifier builder and I plan to design an amplifier just for this project to give around 100w output for 80-10m that can be as well ran out in the field portable form a nice battery.


Keep in mind, I built this software ontop of an exiting project and I haven't yet worked out the Interface(The way it looks), so It doesn't look to good at the moment lol. I always work on that last.

<spot.jpg>
<screenshot.jpg>

Thomas Mize KJ4GK
 

Hello Adam,

Thanks for your statement on the amplifier. Quick question, Only reason I am even thinking of adding an amplifier to mine once purchased is my Antenna Restrictions. With my regular FT8 setup I am having to run a bare minimum of 40w due to the db loss of my system.

Will a Multi Stage Input Low Pass Filter help in between the DSB Transceiver and Amplifier then a Regular Low Pass Filter for the output of the amplifier help with this Adjacent Channel Interference?

In your opinion if there anything I can do to help minimize these effects?

It really would be beneficial for me to up my power to at least 40w.

Thanks,

Thomas
KJ4GK

Thomas Mize KJ4GK
 

Thanks Jim, your reply did help.

I have already purchased the Sunfounder open box(it says something about a plastic corner being chipped). I am going to use your setup as a reference for this.

One thing I am eager to find out is if I can find out a way to remotely control the screen of this from another windows desktop. As this is what I am doing right now with a windows tablet with my regular station. The tablet is beside my radio and I use Google Remote Desktop to control the tablet just as if i was sitting in front of it.

It would be really new to be able to store this setup in my storage room closer to an antenna away from my regular one so that it can be ran like you will be doing with solar. I can use a photo switch relay combo to switch either to another battery bank that was charged during the day for night time use or to mains power. I'll have to wait and see.

Well anyway buddy, if you get a chance to make a video of this in operation, and maybe showing a few software shots and maybe some hints on how you got the software all setup would be great. At very least maybe just some footage of the software in action would be really cool.

If not that is fine I am very happy with the info you have already shared. Have fun buddy.

Thomas,

KJ4GK

Larry Lovell
 

I use VNC Viewer between my PC (in the house) and my Raspberry Pi/rig in the radio room.


On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 12:11 PM Thomas Mize KJ4GK <threemanpro@...> wrote:
Thanks Jim, your reply did help.

I have already purchased the Sunfounder open box(it says something about a plastic corner being chipped). I am going to use your setup as a reference for this.

One thing I am eager to find out is if I can find out a way to remotely control the screen of this from another windows desktop. As this is what I am doing right now with a windows tablet with my regular station. The tablet is beside my radio and I use Google Remote Desktop to control the tablet just as if i was sitting in front of it.

It would be really new to be able to store this setup in my storage room closer to an antenna away from my regular one so that it can be ran like you will be doing with solar. I can use a photo switch relay combo to switch either to another battery bank that was charged during the day for night time use or to mains power. I'll have to wait and see.

Well anyway buddy, if you get a chance to make a video of this in operation, and maybe showing a few software shots and maybe some hints on how you got the software all setup would be great. At very least maybe just some footage of the software in action would be really cool.

If not that is fine I am very happy with the info you have already shared. Have fun buddy.

Thomas,

KJ4GK



--
Larry Lovell
73's N7RGW
http://QRVTronics.com
Cell: 214-697-1729