Topics

K7QO closed his qrp-tech group

K7QO closed his qrp-tech group a few days ago. I am sorry to know that. Is QRP Tech obsolete?

Hans Summers

Hi Adam

There is a new replacement group called "qrptech" see https://groups.io/g/qrptech

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019, 11:16 Adam Rong <rongxh@...> wrote:
Folks,

K7QO closed his qrp-tech group a few days ago. I am sorry to know that. Is QRP Tech obsolete?

Thanks Hans. I joined K7QO’s qrp-tech because it was a pure tech forum with good management. I like the NC40A PCB design and the effort to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

I am not sure if it is related with the argument of DSB Digital Transceiver. I’d like to share my idea here.

D4D is my original idea. I treat it as a design of simple kit for fun. As I wrote in the last Q&A in the FAQ part of the 30-page D4D manual, this is something new and it will cause quite a discussion to settle down if it is a legal mode, but I think for a new mode, you always need some time to experiment and understand it. Design is sort of balance and I designed it only around 1-watt trying to find the balance. Also I would like to mention the LSB spectrum is for PSK31 and the SNR to decode is much higher than FT8, so largely it is not causing problems unless the DSB radio is nearby.

在 2019年11月9日,下午4:40,Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> 写道:

Hi Adam

There is a new replacement group called "qrptech" see https://groups.io/g/qrptech

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019, 11:16 Adam Rong <rongxh@...> wrote:
Folks,

K7QO closed his qrp-tech group a few days ago. I am sorry to know that. Is QRP Tech obsolete?

Hans Summers

QHello Adam

I don't care about legal aspects and never discussed them. In any case, rules vary from one country to another. So it can become a huge discussion. US is only one country among many, though for sure, a large and important ham population.

I'm sure you know, my view on DSB in Digital modes is, I am not a fan of it. But still, the discussion on qrp-tech was

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019, 11:55 Adam Rong <rongxh@...> wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you know, my view on DSB in Digital modes is, I am not a fan of it. In my opinion it's neither necessary, not desriable, nor valuable. It's only my opinion, others have a different view, which is fine and normal.

But still, the discussion on qrp-tech was, I thought, civilized... not about any particular product (yours or QRP Guys' product) just about technical advantages and disadvantages. So I don't see why it would have upset anyone or made anyone want to close the group. Surely the group was intended for technical discussions.

73 Hans G0UPL

[...]

Donald Sanders

Yahoo is discontinuing the groups. They will only be a e-mail list with no files, pictures, etc.
Most groups are moving to .io with a new group. It costs $200 now to move.
So some groups are just closing down. That may have been a factor.
Dr. Don W4BWS

God Bless All

Ham Radio does not make the world go round.
Ham Radio is what makes the ride worthwhile.

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 3:16 AM Adam Rong <rongxh@...> wrote:
Folks,

K7QO closed his qrp-tech group a few days ago. I am sorry to know that. Is QRP Tech obsolete?

Hans Summers

Hi Don

qrp-tech was already on groups.io so the YahooGroups changes were not a factor.

73 Hans G0UPL