Topics

First FT8 Contact

Kurt Loken

Hi there...

Had my first FT8 contact tonight using my just completed D4D DSB. This was also the first two way contact using the magloop prototype you see in the pic. Thanks for the kit!

73 de AE6UJ

Adam Rong

Congratulations. I have never tried mag loop with D4D.

73 de BD6CR

David Wilcox

I just got my QRPGuys DSB FT8 xcvr working and made my first contacts yesterday with a dipole.  Will try my AlexLoop soon.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Nov 10, 2019, at 2:37 AM, Adam Rong <rongxh@...> wrote:

Congratulations. I have never tried mag loop with D4D.

73 de BD6CR

John

Good morning Kurt. My name is John and my call is K2JHU.  Congratulations on your 1st contact. I am in the process of building my D4D DBS. I have completed up to stage 4, the RX audio amplifier. However this test did not go as expected.
When I touch pin 1 of the NE602 I don't hear anything. It might be the impedance of the earphones I used are way off but not sure. Just wondering what you found at this stage.

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:00 AM Kurt Loken <kurt.loken@...> wrote:
Hi there...

Had my first FT8 contact tonight using my just completed D4D DSB.  This was also the first two way contact using the magloop prototype you see in the pic.  Thanks for the kit!

73 de AE6UJ

Kurt Loken

Hello John,

I must admit...that particular check, I skipped.  Bad practice, but I did.  Maybe someone one else on the group here can help you.

One warning...don't do what I did at the end of the build...I forgot to put the thermal pad in between the end plate and Q4...I'm sure I did no favors to the rig as the relays went crazy and I got a bit of a zap from the power plug when I was plugging it in and pulling it out.

Kurt (ae6uj)

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 6:39 AM John <johnk2jhu@...> wrote:
Good morning Kurt. My name is John and my call is K2JHU.  Congratulations on your 1st contact. I am in the process of building my D4D DBS. I have completed up to stage 4, the RX audio amplifier. However this test did not go as expected.
When I touch pin 1 of the NE602 I don't hear anything. It might be the impedance of the earphones I used are way off but not sure. Just wondering what you found at this stage.

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:00 AM Kurt Loken <kurt.loken@...> wrote:
Hi there...

Had my first FT8 contact tonight using my just completed D4D DSB.  This was also the first two way contact using the magloop prototype you see in the pic.  Thanks for the kit!

73 de AE6UJ

John

Kurt thanks for your reply. I just completed step 5 and getting ready to do the receive of signals test.
I won't forget the thermal pad for sure.Wish me luck.

John K2JHU...

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:26 AM Kurt Loken <kurt.loken@...> wrote:
[...]

Conor Farrell

When you "go live" with your radio, remember that your computer time must be exact in order to both receive and transmit correctly. On my Windows laptop, I could never get the in-built NTP sync to work. So now I use a tool called NetTime from www.timesynctool.com and it works like a charm.

Conor

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 16:35 John, <johnk2jhu@...> wrote:
[...]

Conor I've been using Dimension 4 to get the correct clock timing for a while now and it works great. I t
tried Minberg but was never satisfied with it.

John K2JHU...

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:48 AM Conor Farrell <conchobhair.ofearghail@...> wrote:
[...]

John Kirby

 re   FT8 / FT4  TIME  plus/minus  one second

When Internet not available ...

WWV  Colorado   5, 10, 15 mHz     two thumbs up

CHU   Ottawa     3.33, 7.85, 14.67 mHz    gets the job done

John
N3AAZ