New design: 13-transistor SSB FT8 transceiver

It’s been a while. I wish to present the recent design. The only semiconductors are 13 piece 2N4401 and a few diodes. The output is 1 watt SSB and it is a practical number for 40m FT8. Still long time to finalize the design.

Jim Burns

Looks Great Adam !  Congratulations !
I want one.
Jim WB4ILP

Jim Burns
Alpha Delta Radio Communications LLC
www.AlphaDeltaRadio.com

On 10:02PM, Sun, May 23, 2021 Adam Rong <rongxh@... wrote:
Folks,

It’s been a while. I wish to present the recent design. The only semiconductors are 13 piece 2N4401 and a few diodes. The output is 1 watt SSB and it is a practical number for 40m FT8. Still long time to finalize the design.

Robert McFetridge

I can't wait. Looks great Adam. Keep up the good work.

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 10:02 PM, Adam Rong
<rongxh@...> wrote:
Folks,

It’s been a while. I wish to present the recent design. The only semiconductors are 13 piece 2N4401 and a few diodes. The output is 1 watt SSB and it is a practical number for 40m FT8. Still long time to finalize the design.

Larry Lovell

Do you have a schematic?

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 9:41 AM Robert McFetridge via groups.io <bobbyfdema=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I can't wait. Looks great Adam. Keep up the good work.

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 10:02 PM, Adam Rong
Folks,

--
Larry Lovell
73's N7RGW

Pierre FK8IH <jb.gallauziaux@...>

Is it planned to replace the D4D?
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Adam Rong

No. This is the result of a design challenge. It is 40m only due to crystal. It is more complicated than D4D.

在 2021年5月25日,下午2:12,Pierre FK8IH <jb.gallauziaux@...> 写道:

Is it planned to replace the D4D?
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Adam Rong

I will prepare schematic once the test and adjustment is finalized.

在 2021年5月27日,上午6:11,Adam Rong <rong@...> 写道:

No. This is the result of a design challenge. It is 40m only due to crystal. It is more complicated than D4D.

在 2021年5月25日,下午2:12,Pierre FK8IH <jb.gallauziaux@...> 写道:

Is it planned to replace the D4D?
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

terry hughes

hi adam

the d4d went together very easily and is working well on 20 m

i am thinking of building another for 80 m

i already have the crystals so can you give me a price for an 80 m version less crystals

terry gm4dso

On Wednesday, 26 May 2021, 23:11:51 BST, Adam Rong <rongxh@...> wrote:

No. This is the result of a design challenge. It is 40m only due to crystal. It is more complicated than D4D.

在 2021年5月25日,下午2:12,Pierre FK8IH <jb.gallauziaux@...> 写道:

Is it planned to replace the D4D?
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Bangholyo

i cant seem to place an order in site for d4d js8

On Thu, May 27, 2021, 11:31 PM terry hughes via groups.io <terryhugheskirkcudbright=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
hi adam

the d4d went together very easily and is working well on 20 m

i am thinking of building another for 80 m

i already have the crystals so can you give me a price for an 80 m version less crystals

terry gm4dso

On Wednesday, 26 May 2021, 23:11:51 BST, Adam Rong <rongxh@...> wrote:

No. This is the result of a design challenge. It is 40m only due to crystal. It is more complicated than D4D.

在 2021年5月25日,下午2:12,Pierre FK8IH <jb.gallauziaux@...> 写道:

Is it planned to replace the D4D?
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Adam Rong

Check out the video for a real QSO with DS2 station.

The schematic is now in the file section as you may have noticed.

It could be a kit but it won’t replace D4D as I mentioned before.

在 2021年5月24日,上午10:02,Adam Rong <rong@...> 写道:

Folks,

It’s been a while. I wish to present the recent design. The only semiconductors are 13 piece 2N4401 and a few diodes. The output is 1 watt SSB and it is a practical number for 40m FT8. Still long time to finalize the design.
<image0.jpeg>

Adam Rong

Currently the stock is empty. I will let you know know once it is available again.

在 2021年5月30日,上午9:11,Adam Rong via groups.io <rongxh@...> 写道:

Check out the video for a real QSO with DS2 station.

The schematic is now in the file section as you may have noticed.

It could be a kit but it won’t replace D4D as I mentioned before.

在 2021年5月24日,上午10:02,Adam Rong <rong@...> 写道:

Folks,

It’s been a while. I wish to present the recent design. The only semiconductors are 13 piece 2N4401 and a few diodes. The output is 1 watt SSB and it is a practical number for 40m FT8. Still long time to finalize the design.
<image0.jpeg>

Adam Rong

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/oa-plPIjFTOemXd9DMiTtg

Introduce the new design unit by unit in English.

在 2021年5月24日,上午10:02,Adam Rong <rong@...> 写道:

Folks,

It’s been a while. I wish to present the recent design. The only semiconductors are 13 piece 2N4401 and a few diodes. The output is 1 watt SSB and it is a practical number for 40m FT8. Still long time to finalize the design.
<image0.jpeg>

Nigel Young ZL1NAY

Adam, snap to a grid of 0.1 mm if you do a pcb. I'm not sure there will be many takers due to the amount of same frequency crystals which are rarer than unobtanium any where else other than China. This is why there is not much development anywhere else in the world. China can produce crystals on any freq on demand. Western world add $25.

Nigel

Kia Kaha

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021, 10:40 AM Adam Rong <rongxh@...> wrote:
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/oa-plPIjFTOemXd9DMiTtg

Introduce the new design unit by unit in English.

在 2021年5月24日,上午10:02,Adam Rong <rong@...> 写道:

Folks,

It’s been a while. I wish to present the recent design. The only semiconductors are 13 piece 2N4401 and a few diodes. The output is 1 watt SSB and it is a practical number for 40m FT8. Still long time to finalize the design.
<image0.jpeg>

Nigel Young ZL1NAY

Also Adam, it would be absolutely fantastic if you could guide us to a manufacturer in China that produce good copies of now defunct transistors. There are many on ebay as you probably know. It would be a good exercise to test them without spending your money and waiting 3 months to arrive to find them defective in an area you are interested in.
I'm not tasking you with this mission, I'm just asking for a China manufacturer who is true to the original specifications.

Nigel

Kia Kaha

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021, 12:41 PM Nigel Young via groups.io <multilec=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Satish Chandorkar

The site provided for information is not accessible from India as due to the COVID crises all China sites are banned for accessing from India. Can any one will download the contents circuit diagram etc. for us ( India ) I am interested

Satish
VU2SNK

在 2021年6月8日,上午10:59,Satish Chandorkar via groups.io <satish.vu2snk1@...> 写道:

[...]

Thank you Adam Rong
Thank you for providing the link. I am already a member of groups.io so there was no problem to download the circuit's PDF.
The PCB is nicely designed one

Satish
VU2SNK

On Tuesday, 15 June, 2021, 06:25:16 am IST, Adam Rong <rongxh@...> wrote:

https://groups.io/g/crkits/files/13%20Transistor%2040m%20FT8%20SSB/13TR40m1WFT8SCH.pdf

New progress:

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/f3HyeZ1u2TRWGPkxBYGVMQ

[...]

All,

The design will be finalized this weekend. Once the test build is done, it is very near to the shipping of the kit. You can choose from:
13TR-T4D 7074 SSB 1W (passband around 1500-3000Hz)
or
13TR-T4D 14074 DSB 0.5W

Although 13TR is bigger than D4D and it has more parts to solder, its function is very similar. I cannot say 13TR-T4D is the replacement of the discontinued D4D, but 13TR is my focus at this moment. Stay tuned for further information.