Re: D4D mods

Adam Rong

Modification is not necessary if you want to get it work first. After you have time, you can consider these two modifications:
1. Replace C5 by a 105 monolithic cap (tolerance < 20%) to improve IMD at the cost of half RF power at the same audio input.
2. Add a diode per KD1JV to improve carrier leakage.

If your sound card output is too low to drive VOX, consider KD1JV improvement to add a 150k resistor. This mod will not become standard as it is related with transistor parameter and power supply voltage. You make your call to modify it or buy a USB sound card along.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 12:29 AM Bryan Brauer <bryan@...> wrote:
I just received my d4d kit this week, and wish to incorporate all recommended mods.  Will there be a file that lists all mods, or an update to the instructions that includes all?

Bryan B. Brauer, PE
Consulting Engineer

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 8:21 AM Adam Rong <rongxh@...> wrote:
Steve,

Thanks for reminding. We studied the spec while we apply the 4.3V power supply. The main impact parameters are:
Conversion gain, Noise figure, and IP3i

I believe the major impact is IP3i which will cause worse BCI.

With your modificaiton, I think it is okay not to add BH4DCL diode mod to avoid the impact to the receiver performance. The carrier leakage is now about 10 dB under USB and LSB signals even I applied 10 dB attenuation to the audio input.