Topics

User Manual for the VIS Interpreter CDP18S835, MPM-835

cellarcat

Just wondering if anybody, by some miracle, knows where this manual could be obtained. I know Hagley has it and apparently the University of Pennsylvania but getting a copy is probably going to be like pulling dragon's teeth. I am also after the actual VIS Interpreter CDP18S835 which is the software that accompanied the CDP18S661B Microboard Video-Audio-Keyboard Interface. I have all the parts to make the board but it sure would be nice to have the software as well. Goofy project but I like the challenge!

Marcel van Tongeren

I would be very interested in both of these as well, especially the VIS interpreter. I have the CDP18S661B emulated in Emma 02 but not sure that it is actually correct due to lack of SW to test it. I have managed to patch the COMX 35 ROM to test the VIS functionality somewhat; if you do build this board it would be interesting to hear if the same patched ROM runs on your board. Note the COMX ROM doesn't fully 'work' as the COMX HW is not identical to the CDP18S661b or CDP18S661V3. The VIS interpreter SW would off course be much nicer if anyone has a copy.... we could also try to reverse engineer the VIS interpreter SW, i.e. write something ourselves....

cellarcat

Hi, Marcel! I will definitely try your ROM. I have the feeling though that we are going to have to write our own firmware and software. At least we have the schematics for the board and the jumper allocations. I will keep you posted on my progress.

On Jan 8, 2020, at 3:16 PM, Marcel van Tongeren <marcel.v.tongeren@...> wrote:

I would be very interested in both of these as well, especially the VIS interpreter. I have the CDP18S661B emulated in Emma 02 but not sure that it is actually correct due to lack of SW to test it. I have managed to patch the COMX 35 ROM to test the VIS functionality somewhat; if you do build this board it would be interesting to hear if the same patched ROM runs on your board. Note the COMX ROM doesn't fully 'work' as the COMX HW is not identical to the CDP18S661b or CDP18S661V3. The VIS interpreter SW would off course be much nicer if anyone has a copy.... we could also try to reverse engineer the VIS interpreter SW, i.e. write something ourselves....

taf123

Hi -

Any luck on finding of any this?

When I built the VIS support for my ELF-ish, I found application note ICAN-7032 "CDP1800-Based Video Terminal Using the RCA Video Interface System VIS" in the 1982 RCA publication, SSD-280 "RCA LSI Products - Applications".  This has the listing for a terminal operating system written using the VIS interpreter, "Appendix F - VIS Operating System Listing".

Would love to give that a whirl.

Best regards,
Todd

cellarcat

Hi, Todd! None at all I’m afraid. The last of my parts have arrived though so I will busy myself building the board. After that there is going to be a lot of experimenting to sort out its operation.

On Jan 16, 2020, at 11:10 PM, taf123 <todd.ferguson@...> wrote:

Hi -

Any luck on finding of any this?

When I built the VIS support for my ELF-ish, I found application note ICAN-7032 "CDP1800-Based Video Terminal Using the RCA Video Interface System VIS" in the 1982 RCA publication, SSD-280 "RCA LSI Products - Applications".  This has the listing for a terminal operating system written using the VIS interpreter, "Appendix F - VIS Operating System Listing".

Would love to give that a whirl.

Best regards,
Todd

taf123

Hi

Bummer about the interpreter.  But you don't need to start from scratch to figure out the VIS operation.  Check out the assembly listing in ICAN-6953 "An Introduction to the Video Interface System (VIS) Devices-CDP1869 and CDP1870", also in SSD-280, http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/components/rca/cosmac/SSD-280_RCA_LSI_Products_Applications_Jan82.pdf.

You will need to add the required OUT1 GROUP to location 0002, but it should work with the VIS board since it also uses !EF1 for monitoring the !PREDISPLAY output.

I used this as the basis for testing out my VIS - check out https://groups.io/g/cosmacelf/topic/31591676

Quite interested in how you get on with the board build and testing.

Best regards,
Todd

cellarcat

I checked out ICAN-6953 and ICAN-7032 last night. Lots of good info and hints in there. That databook really is a goldmine. I just wish RCA had put out a later edition of the 1982 microboards book that covered the post 1982 boards.