Topics

To Ring in the New Year

Lee Hart

Charles Dickens was a gifted writer and masterful storyteller. Everyone knows his holiday classic "A Christmas Carol". But he wrote another masterpiece for the New Year's holiday that is all but forgotten.

"The Chimes" was written in 1844, and tells the tale of Toby Veck, a simple honest man adrift in a cold, cruel world. The message is timeless, and amazingly relevant to our situation today. The original is rather long, and the span of years has made the language difficult. My gift to you for this New Year's Day is my abridged version of "The Chimes", shortened and with some of the words updated for modern readers.

Please enjoy it with my compliments. If you do, I promise you'll never hear the chimes of a clock the same again!

<http://www.sunrise-ev.com/poems/thechimes.htm>

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering

David G Williams

Hello Lee,

A Happy New Year to you.

Just finished reading your rewrite of The Chimes.

Very moving. Thank you.

David Williams

David G Williams wrote:
A Happy New Year to you.

Just finished reading your rewrite of The Chimes.

Very moving. Thank you.
You're very welcome, David. I'm delighted that you found the time to read it. It blew me away, and I was amazed that no one seems to have ever heard of it. I cut the size about in half; but it's still too long. People just don't read any more. I guess they'll have to wait for the Disney movie. :-/

Anyway, have a Happy New Year!