Topics

Selling RCA purple ceramic gold pin "pixie" chip and 1802 microprocessor on ebay

dimitrifrazao@...

Timothy Stoddard

I would be very careful of these... They both look like their tops have been changed/added..
I have three purple ceramic gold 1802s (all working) and none of them have this poor soldering of the chip cap.

--
Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"

joshbensadon

FYI, The poster of this message joined the group, posted his "advertising" for his Ebay items, then left.
Do not expect a response from him.

But, I would have to say they do look genuine.  Here are some of my chips, 4 with 749 date codes and 2 with the same 733 date code being sold.

Tim, it's very interesting to see your chips being nice and neat.  I expect they improved their production.
Have a look at my chips.. they're all a little different, I don't know why, but trust me, they are all original chips I've had since the 80's.

I would be very careful of these... They both look like their tops have been changed/added..
I have three purple ceramic gold 1802s (all working) and none of them have this poor soldering of the chip cap.

--
Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"

Timothy Stoddard

Thanks for that response Josh!
Agreed... mine are '79 and '80 date codes where as yours and the eBay poster are '77 dates. Looks like production lines did improve as did leaving the gold caps untinned in later dates.
I worked as a field engineer for IV Phase Sys (Motorola Computer Sys) for 9 years and we used Motorola's 680x0 line of processors in proprietary Unix Sys V micros... big 64 pin DIPs and all purple ceramic with gold pins and caps... I had seen literally hundreds of them and all were the same nice clean soldering of the cap. Again, probably a different story in the initial runs of those! Anyway I got a little wary of the eBay post... Thanks for the correction!
--
Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"

joshbensadon

Tim,

Right, I meant to include in my post that you have GOOD REASON to question these Ebay posts.  There's been so much crap lately...  so much so, I think they are going to change that old latin saying from "caveat emptor" to "Caveat Ebay"  (just kidding).