Topics

Pico/Elf V2

Mike Riley

Hello All,
   In the past year I have had several people contact me about Pico/Elf V2 boards, and so I have given some thought to having some made.  I do not know the current costs of having boards made, so do not know at the moment what the cost will be.  When I had the Micro/Elf boards made it was around $400 for 20 boards, the Pico/Elf is the same size so I expect the price to be similar.  I am not trying to make any money off of these, but would at least like to recoup some of the costs of having the boards made.  So question, Who is interested in getting a Pico/Elf V2 board? and how much are you willing to pay for it?  If I can get enough interest to cover 75% of the cost of having the boards made then I will consider having a run made of them.

For those unfamiliar with the Pico/Elf V2, it is a machine mainly designed to run Elf/OS.  It has 32k ram, 32k rom, max232 rs232 port, ide/cf interface and an expansion connector, in essence in all-in-one board for running Elf/OS.
     Mike

cellarcat

Hi, Mike! I would be game for a board if you get enough interest. I have just finished wire wrapping a Pico on a large perf board but a smaller version would be nice too. 

On Jul 30, 2020, at 6:41 PM, Mike Riley <mikehriley@...> wrote:

Hello All,
   In the past year I have had several people contact me about Pico/Elf V2 boards, and so I have given some thought to having some made.  I do not know the current costs of having boards made, so do not know at the moment what the cost will be.  When I had the Micro/Elf boards made it was around $400 for 20 boards, the Pico/Elf is the same size so I expect the price to be similar.  I am not trying to make any money off of these, but would at least like to recoup some of the costs of having the boards made.  So question, Who is interested in getting a Pico/Elf V2 board? and how much are you willing to pay for it?  If I can get enough interest to cover 75% of the cost of having the boards made then I will consider having a run made of them.

For those unfamiliar with the Pico/Elf V2, it is a machine mainly designed to run Elf/OS.  It has 32k ram, 32k rom, max232 rs232 port, ide/cf interface and an expansion connector, in essence in all-in-one board for running Elf/OS.
     Mike

Bob Kay

Hi Mike.  Assuming the price come in at something in the 20-30 dollar range, I'd be interested in a Pico/Elf board.

Hank Riley

Mike,

It would be helpful if you could drop a few more clues our way.

Roughly the board dimensions?  Two sided?  Could you provide a picture or two?

Does this web site represent accurately the Pico/Elf V2?

Hank

joshbensadon

MIke,

You can count me in for 4 boards.  I'm good with $25 each.

Josh Bensadon
Toronto

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Riley <mikehriley@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 7:41 PM
To: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io>
Subject: [cosmacelf] Pico/Elf V2

Hello All,

Mike

Nick Taylor

I would be interested in one of these if they were under $40.

Would you provide all the extra bits for the kit too, or would we have to source those?
I’m a beginner at these kits. I’ve just completed one of Lee’s kits. Having all the components supplied is what tempted me to try it.

Thanks

Nick

Nick Taylor e: nick@... t: 01189770999
Taylor Made Solutions w: www.t-m-s.co.uk m: 07774151391
  PGP Public Key: 0x1DD548EC tw: @TaylorMadeSolns
Development, Training A819 748E 337E F364 8201  
& Consultancy DE7A 9873 FF2E 1DD5 48EC Wokingham UK

Mike Riley

Hank,
   It is the same size as the Micro/Elf board, about 5" x 3.75".  It is two-sided, will be a production board, meaning it will have silkscreen and solder mask, the board will be similar to the production Micro/Elf (Look at the green Micro/Elf in the gallery section of my website)  I was going to take a picture of my prototype for the V2 board, but I cannot find it :(  There is however a picture of the V1 prototype in my gallery.  The main difference between the V1 and the V2 boards is that the V2 board uses a max232 chip for the level shifter for the rs232, while the V1 board used transistors and required a power supply that provided +5, +12, and -12 volts, the V2 board only needs +5v.  The other difference is that the V1 board I used sockets where the decoupling capacitors were built into the socket, the V2 board uses standard decoupling capacitors on the board instead, making it cheaper to build than the expensive sockets that include the capacitors.
    Mike

I did manage to find one of the unbuilt prototypes of the V2.  The production board will be silkscreened and have the green solder mask similar to the Micro/Elf production board.  Still cannot find my built one 🙁

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of Hank Riley via groups.io <n1ltv@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Pico/Elf V2

Mike,

It would be helpful if you could drop a few more clues our way.

Roughly the board dimensions?  Two sided?  Could you provide a picture or two?

Does this web site represent accurately the Pico/Elf V2?

Hank

Mike Riley

That is the reason i want to do 20 boards, that should get the price into that $20 to $30 range.
    Mike

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of Bob Kay via groups.io <rekircher@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:27 PM

Hi Mike.  Assuming the price come in at something in the 20-30 dollar range, I'd be interested in a Pico/Elf board.

Kelly Fergason

i will support a board to help get this done.

kelly

Hello All,

Mike

Mike Riley

Shoot, I could have saved that work had I decided to do this sooner. sorry!  But will put you down as interested
    Mike

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of cellarcat <petelco@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:09 PM

Hi, Mike! I would be game for a board if you get enough interest. I have just finished wire wrapping a Pico on a large perf board but a smaller version would be nice too. 

Hello All,

Mike

Mike Riley

Thanks Josh, will put you down for 4.
    Mike

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of joshbensadon <jbensadon@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:38 PM

MIke,

You can count me in for 4 boards.  I'm good with $25 each.

Josh Bensadon
Toronto

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Riley <mikehriley@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 7:41 PM
Subject: [cosmacelf] Pico/Elf V2

Hello All,

Mike

Mike Riley

Hello Mike,
   Roughly 5" x 3.75".
      Mike

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of Mike McLaren, K8LH <k8lh@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:43 PM

Hi, Mike.  May I ask about the board dimensions, please?

Cheerful regards, Mike McLaren, K8LH

Dave Johnson

Please count me in for 2.

Thanks 

Dave Johnson

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:41 PM Mike Riley <mikehriley@...> wrote:
Hello All,

Mike

cellarcat

It’s not work. Pure pleasure!

On Jul 30, 2020, at 8:19 PM, Mike Riley <mikehriley@...> wrote:

Shoot, I could have saved that work had I decided to do this sooner. sorry!  But will put you down as interested
    Mike

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of cellarcat <petelco@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:09 PM
To: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Pico/Elf V2

Hello All,

Mike

Mike Riley

Nick,
   I am pretty sure the bare board price will be below $40, I am guessing it will be closer to $25.  I can provide an 1802 cpu and possibly some of the other parts, I will have to check my stock, not sure if I still have any of the 32k ram chips, or the rom.  Check with me privately on the cost of any parts that I might have.
    Mike

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of Nick Taylor <Nick@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:41 PM

I would be interested in one of these if they were under $40.

Would you provide all the extra bits for the kit too, or would we have to source those?
I’m a beginner at these kits. I’ve just completed one of Lee’s kits. Having all the components supplied is what tempted me to try it.

Thanks

Nick

Nick Taylor e: nick@... t: 01189770999
Taylor Made Solutions w: www.t-m-s.co.uk m: 07774151391
  PGP Public Key: 0x1DD548EC tw: @TaylorMadeSolns
Development, Training A819 748E 337E F364 8201  
& Consultancy DE7A 9873 FF2E 1DD5 48EC Wokingham UK

Mike Riley

Thanks Dave, will put you down for 2.
    Mike

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of Dave Johnson <hewlpac@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:21 PM

Please count me in for 2.

Thanks 

Dave Johnson

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:41 PM Mike Riley <mikehriley@...> wrote:
Hello All,

Mike

Mike Riley

I can agree with you there, playing with hardware is definitely a lot of fun!!!
    Mike

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of cellarcat <petelco@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:23 PM

It’s not work. Pure pleasure!

On Jul 30, 2020, at 8:19 PM, Mike Riley <mikehriley@...> wrote:

Mike

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of cellarcat <petelco@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:09 PM
To: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Pico/Elf V2

Hello All,

Mike

Mike Riley

Thanks Kelly, I will put you down for 1.
    Mike

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of Kelly Fergason <kfergason@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:18 PM

kelly

Hello All,

Mike

Mike Riley

Well, the support here looks promising.  I will go ahead and put out a couple request for quotes to get a final price.  When I get the final price I will let you all know.  Again, I am not interested in making money for this , so your price will be the per board price from the quote, plus $1 or $2 for shipping.  Thanks for all your support, I will let you know when I get the quotes back.
     Mike

Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:24 PM

Thanks Kelly, I will put you down for 1.
    Mike

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of Kelly Fergason <kfergason@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:18 PM

kelly

Hello All,

Mike

Mark Jungwirth

I'm with Nick!  Under $40 will work.  If someone is already sourcing parts (Josh?), I'd love to not have to buy onesies on my own.

Thanks!

Mark Jungwirth