Topics

Ordering a barrel of brand spanking new 1802s

Hank Riley

When this first came up (quite a while back), I was thinking this was too low a quote to be true.

Lee,  was this someone reasonably qualified to give a quote, or was it someone just taking a guess because they knew this would never happen coming from you or anybody like any of us?

Just to give what I have as simply intuition, I think it might have to be more like 10 k to maybe higher quantity of these parts or they would not do it for any price (unless it was something goofy like $150 per piece).

Another angle would be $4 per piece, in 1000 lots, but a minimum production startup charge of $20 k, $30 k, or $50,000 on top.

I would love to know how often they do a run of ordinary plastic, 1802 parts.  For $4 a piece, minimum 1000 parts you might have to wait for someone else to buy tens of thousands and schedule to piggyback with them.   How long would that kind of wait be?

Hank

On Friday, September 11, 2020, 07:56:05 PM EDT, Lee wrote:

The 1802 is still in production, but only produced to order. When I
asked (a few years ago), it was something like a 1000-piece minimum
order for around $4000 for Intersil to make some in the plastic DIP40
package.

David Schultz

On 9/11/20 8:06 PM, Hank Riley via groups.io wrote:
When this first came up (quite a while back), I was thinking this was
too low a quote to be true.

Lee,  was this someone reasonably qualified to give a quote, or was it
someone just taking a guess because they knew this would never happen
coming from you or anybody like any of us?

Just to give what I have as simply intuition, I think it might have to
be more like 10 k to maybe higher quantity of these parts or they would
not do it for any price (unless it was something goofy like $150 per piece).
The web site lists a price of $143 for 1,000 for what appears to be a
ceramic package.

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/products/space-harsh-environment/harsh-environment/microprocessors-peripherals/device/CDP1802A.html#ordering

I would guess that they have some quantity of wafers already fabbed
sitting around and will chop them up and package them on demand.

--
http://davesrocketworks.com
David Schultz

P Todd Decker

We could actually perhaps get a firm written quote then run a kickstarter to gather the true pledges. And if the thresholds are reached, then place the actual order. We could perhaps even throw in one or more of the various kits as rewards. I would be willing to work with someone to run a kickstarter like that

---
P. Todd Decker
913-284-8814

On Sep 11, 2020, at 8:32 PM, David Schultz <david.schultz@...> wrote:

[...]

That's $146.30 per unit???

On 9/11/20 8:06 PM, Hank Riley via groups.io wrote:
> When this first came up (quite a while back), I was thinking this was
> too low a quote to be true.
>
> Lee,  was this someone reasonably qualified to give a quote, or was it
> someone just taking a guess because they knew this would never happen
> coming from you or anybody like any of us?
>
> Just to give what I have as simply intuition, I think it might have to
> be more like 10 k to maybe higher quantity of these parts or they would
> not do it for any price (unless it was something goofy like $150 per piece).

The web site lists a price of $143 for 1,000 for what appears to be a
ceramic package.

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/products/space-harsh-environment/harsh-environment/microprocessors-peripherals/device/CDP1802A.html#ordering

I would guess that they have some quantity of wafers already fabbed
sitting around and will chop them up and package them on demand.

--
http://davesrocketworks.com
David Schultz

P Todd Decker

Yes I think that is what is publicly posted. I imagine this price is considering it would be sold to military and aerospace buyers.  We could probably get much lower for an order in plastic. As the threads have suggested, perhaps Lee got a quote for much lower at one point.

---
P. Todd Decker
913-284-8814

On Sep 11, 2020, at 8:42 PM, Mike McLaren, K8LH <k8lh@...> wrote:

That's $146.30 per unit???

On 9/11/20 8:06 PM, Hank Riley via groups.io wrote:
> When this first came up (quite a while back), I was thinking this was
> too low a quote to be true.
>
> Lee,  was this someone reasonably qualified to give a quote, or was it
> someone just taking a guess because they knew this would never happen
> coming from you or anybody like any of us?
>
> Just to give what I have as simply intuition, I think it might have to
> be more like 10 k to maybe higher quantity of these parts or they would
> not do it for any price (unless it was something goofy like $150 per piece).

The web site lists a price of $143 for 1,000 for what appears to be a
ceramic package.

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/products/space-harsh-environment/harsh-environment/microprocessors-peripherals/device/CDP1802A.html#ordering

I would guess that they have some quantity of wafers already fabbed
sitting around and will chop them up and package them on demand.

--
http://davesrocketworks.com
David Schultz

David Schultz

On 9/11/20 8:42 PM, Mike McLaren, K8LH wrote:
That's $146.30 per unit???

It ain't per thousand.

--
http://davesrocketworks.com
David Schultz

Dennis Boone

The web site lists a price of $143 for 1,000 for what appears to be a
> ceramic package.

That might be the silicon-on-sapphire version too.

De

Martin

Rochester Electronics has 1802s for a reasonable price.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 8:08 PM Dennis Boone <drb@...> wrote:
 > The web site lists a price of $143 for 1,000 for what appears to be a

 > ceramic package.

That might be the silicon-on-sapphire version too.

De

Lee Hart

Martin wrote:
Rochester Electronics has 1802s for a reasonable price.
Yes; I've ordered from them before, and got good parts. They were surplus (NOS), and not China re-marks. But they have a minimum order of $250, so they're only practical when you need a lot.

Rochester Electronics also buys spare unpackaged wafers, and can have them packaged. That's another possibility for "new" 1802's.

Lee

--
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery

Stuart Remphrey

Rochester Electronics currently list these.
Some in stock in varying quantities, rest manufactured to order:
https://www.rocelec.com/search?q=CDP1802

Lee mentioned RE's minimum $250 order, which agrees with the listed MOQ per part and pricing for that quantity.

Though for 2 parts it looks like the MOQ works out less.
Apparently because they have fewer than normal MOQ in stock:
4x Harris CDP1802AQ @$4.80 (the QFN44 package);
19x Harris CDP1802CDX @$11.64 (X indicates burn-in tested).
They still might require other parts to make up a $250 order?

Minimum 60x Harris CDP1802CEX @$4.18 seems better value in aggregate-cycles-per-dollar though; particularly versus the 7x CDP1802BCDX ceramic DIP40 @$39.94ea!
I don't see the D3 variant though; weren't they the silicon-on-sapphire wafers?

Not much CDP1804 or CDP1805 in stock, and for CDP1806 only 1x CDP1806ACE114. However all are listed as "RE Active" and "Build To Order" (i.e. for a sufficiently large order) as for the 1802s.

Rgds, Stuart.

Hank Riley

IF we could be sure that these are not of Chinese origin (meaning scavenged and/or remarked), I think it would be possible for us as a group to be able to make a $250 order happen.  In part because there are several viable boards that folks are assembling lately that need an 1802.

Who knows how long these 1802s will be around?  Tubes, because of their scarcity, are now going sky high instead of dirt cheap like they used to be.  So it can happen.

For even the lowest cost 1802 they list, only about fifty buyers would make the minimum, and many buyers would go for two or more, so it could be even less buyers required, like 15 to 20.  I don't see that being a problem at all.

Such a group buy might even be oversubscribed. or it might take a few months for all the parts to be sold, but I think it would be successful and a good thing.

I would rather spend a few dollars more (like $5 per piece) than the very lowest Chinese prices on ebay and elsewhere, knowing that what I got is guaranteed to work to spec and not be in any way flakey.

A group buy could also include a few of the higher priced devices if the buyer sent his money in advance.

Hank

On Saturday, September 12, 2020, 01:22:31 PM EDT, Stuart  wrote:

Rochester Electronics currently list these.
Some in stock in varying quantities, rest manufactured to order:
Search for CDP1802

Lee mentioned RE's minimum $250 order, which agrees with the listed MOQ per part and pricing for that quantity.

maker54

Greetings

Still new here and mostly just reading, got other priorities unfortunately.  If you check DigiKey, I think you will find the RE parts listed there also.  For the most part the $250 minimum is still in effect, but there are some CDP parts with lower numbers.  I bought 5 CDP1806 parts a few months back with an MOQ of 1.

Best Regards

Neal Whitsett

maker54@...

[...]

bill rowe

Honestly though. I don’t see the value for individual purchasers. I have dozens of ebay  180xs and for actual use they’re fine.

On Sep 12, 2020, at 5:05 PM, maker54 <maker54@...> wrote:

[...]

Olduino - an arduino for the first of us
https://olduino.wordpress.com/about-2/about/