Topics

Off topic: Chuck Peddle Dies at 82; His $25 Chip Helped Start the PC Age

Hank Riley

Off topic, but Chuck Peddle is such a bedrock visionary, although of a different temperament than fellow microprocessor pioneer Joseph Weisbecker.

Only the first few paragraphs follow of the full New York Times Dec. 24 Peddle obituary which is fairly detailed and which contains photographs:

Chuck Peddle Dies at 82; His $25 Chip Helped Start the PC Age

His invention brought digital technology to a new breed of consumer devices and powered early Apple and Commodore computers.

  • Dec. 24, 2019

Chuck Peddle, the engineer and entrepreneur who helped launch the age of the personal computer after designing a microprocessor that sold for a mere $25, died on Dec. 15 at his home in Santa Cruz, Calif. He was 82.

His partner, Kathleen Shaeffer, said the cause was pancreatic cancer.

In 1974, Mr. Peddle and several other engineers were designing a new silicon chip at the Motorola Corporation in Phoenix when the company sent him a letter demanding that he shut the project down.

Mr. Peddle envisioned an ultra-low-cost chip that could bring digital technology to a new breed of consumer devices, from cash registers to personal computers. But his bosses saw it as unwanted in-house competition for the $300 processor Motorola had unveiled that year.

So Mr. Peddle moved the project to MOS Technology, a rival chip maker near Valley Forge, Pa., taking seven other Motorola engineers with him. There they built a processor called the 6502. Priced at $25 — the cost of a dinner for four, and the equivalent of about $130 today — this chip soon powered the first big wave of personal computers in both the United States and Britain, including the Apple II and the Commodore PET.

Lee Hart

From: "Hank Riley via Groups.Io" <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Off topic, but Chuck Peddle is such a bedrock visionary, although of a different temperament than fellow
microprocessor pioneer Joseph Weisbecker.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/24/technology/chuck-peddle-dead.html
Temperment; yes. But both were pioneers and visionaries that saw before many others how revolutionary the microcomputer would be. I corresponded with Chuck a couple years ago, and he said he knew Joe Weisbecker.

Even two years ago, he was working on a multicore 6502-based design with internal I/O. Imagine something like the Parallax Propeller, but with internally networked 6502 cores, each with its own I/O.

We sent him one of our 6502 Badges <http://www.sunrise-ev.com/6502.htm>. We built a special version for him, with a MOS Technology 6502, and software to work as a clock (in addition to the built-in monitor and BASIC).

Here's a poem I wrote for him. He liked it, though said it's "Chuck", not Charlie (but he appreciated that "Charlie" fit the Beatles song rhythm better. :-)

Charlie Peddle's Lowly Parts Club Plan

It was 40 years ago today
That computers taught the kids to play
With chips to make a new kind of game
And the world has never been the same
So let me introduce to you
The micro called the 6502!

(...my apologies to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
Hearts Club Band and the Beatles...)

Excellence does not require perfection. -- Henry James
--
Lee A. Hart http://www.sunrise-ev.com