Topics

IDE-to-CF Adapter for Pico/ELF?

Would this IDE-to-CF Card Adapter be ok for the Pico/ELF board (79¢ each, qty 10)?

256-MB CF cards are available from several Aliexpress vendors for around $3 (including shipping).  Here's one listing.

I also ordered an IDE-to-SD adapter (see below) for about $9.  I'm not sure if it will support IDE 8-bit mode so I might lose half the storage capacity on my micro SD cards.  FWIW, I couldn't find any low capacity micro SD cards when I looked last year but they're available from several Aliexpress vendors now (I just ordered and received ten 64-MB cards).  You might want to stock up while they're available.

Steve Gemeny

More interesting to me is the IDE - CF adaptor... May tactically have application for several of them.

Can you send a link please!

73,
Steve
(aa3nm)

Sent by my fat thumbs drifting aimlessly  across tiny soft I Keys...

On Aug 16, 2020, at 11:59 PM, Mike McLaren, K8LH <k8lh@...> wrote:

Would this IDE-to-CF Card Adapter be ok for the Pico/ELF board (79¢ each, qty 10)?

<CF-IDE40.jpg>

256-MB CF cards are available from several Aliexpress vendors for around $3 (including shipping).  Here's one listing.

I also ordered an IDE-to-SD adapter (see below) for about $9.  I'm not sure if it will support IDE 8-bit mode so I might lose half the storage capacity on my micro SD cards.  FWIW, I couldn't find any low capacity micro SD cards when I looked last year but they're available from several Aliexpress vendors now (I just ordered and received ten 64-MB cards).  You might want to stock up while they're available.

<IDE-to-SD.jpg>

Dave Runkle (Astrorat)

I have used both of your suggested boards in my Retro Elf project with good success. All my Retro Elfs along with my Elf 2K are using this IDE-to-SD adapter. The only thing you should note is the IDE-SD adapter will run on 5-volt logic BUT the interface signals are only at 3.3-volt high logic levels. After many frustrating hours debugging unstable logic issues and high frequency noise causing false signaling, I ended up creating a 3.3-volt to 5-volt logic interface buffer board with a basic high frequency cut-off filtering. This did the trick and I have had no issues now on my three Retro Elfs, my Elf 2K and some others who also built the Retro Elf project with the IDE interface.

I use Mike's Elf/OS for all my systems. If you wish to see what I did, have a look at my web site at this link http://www.astrorat.com/cosmacelf/retroelfproject.html.

I hope this helps you out.

73,
Dave Runkle - KC0KEP

Paul Birkel

Nice write-up (and project) Dave!  Can you share your wisdom (and schematic) for your interface board design?

http://www.astrorat.com/images/231_RetroElf_boards_ATAIDE-2.jpg

Thank you.  I’ve heard of reliability issues when trying to use “cheap” SD Cards.  This is the first time that I’ve come across specific concerns involving level-shifting.  So … all ears :-}!