Topics

IDE-to-CF Adapter for Pico/ELF?

Would this IDE-to-CF Card Adapter be ok for the Pico/ELF board (79¢ each, qty 10)?

256-MB CF cards are available from several Aliexpress vendors for around $3 (including shipping).  Here's one listing.

I also ordered an IDE-to-SD adapter (see below) for about $9.  I'm not sure if it will support IDE 8-bit mode so I might lose half the storage capacity on my micro SD cards.  FWIW, I couldn't find any low capacity micro SD cards when I looked last year but they're available from several Aliexpress vendors now (I just ordered and received ten 64-MB cards).  You might want to stock up while they're available.

Steve Gemeny

More interesting to me is the IDE - CF adaptor... May tactically have application for several of them.

Can you send a link please!

Steve
(aa3nm)

Sent by my fat thumbs drifting aimlessly  across tiny soft I Keys...

On Aug 16, 2020, at 11:59 PM, Mike McLaren, K8LH <k8lh@...> wrote:

Would this IDE-to-CF Card Adapter be ok for the Pico/ELF board (79¢ each, qty 10)?

<CF-IDE40.jpg>

256-MB CF cards are available from several Aliexpress vendors for around $3 (including shipping).  Here's one listing.

I also ordered an IDE-to-SD adapter (see below) for about $9.  I'm not sure if it will support IDE 8-bit mode so I might lose half the storage capacity on my micro SD cards.  FWIW, I couldn't find any low capacity micro SD cards when I looked last year but they're available from several Aliexpress vendors now (I just ordered and received ten 64-MB cards).  You might want to stock up while they're available.

<IDE-to-SD.jpg>

Dave Runkle (Astrorat)

I have used both of your suggested boards in my Retro Elf project with good success. All my Retro Elfs along with my Elf 2K are using this IDE-to-SD adapter. The only thing you should note is the IDE-SD adapter will run on 5-volt logic BUT the interface signals are only at 3.3-volt high logic levels. After many frustrating hours debugging unstable logic issues and high frequency noise causing false signaling, I ended up creating a 3.3-volt to 5-volt logic interface buffer board with a basic high frequency cut-off filtering. This did the trick and I have had no issues now on my three Retro Elfs, my Elf 2K and some others who also built the Retro Elf project with the IDE interface.

I use Mike's Elf/OS for all my systems. If you wish to see what I did, have a look at my web site at this link http://www.astrorat.com/cosmacelf/retroelfproject.html.

I hope this helps you out.

Dave Runkle - KC0KEP

Paul Birkel

Nice write-up (and project) Dave!  Can you share your wisdom (and schematic) for your interface board design?

http://www.astrorat.com/images/231_RetroElf_boards_ATAIDE-2.jpg

Thank you.  I’ve heard of reliability issues when trying to use “cheap” SD Cards.  This is the first time that I’ve come across specific concerns involving level-shifting.  So … all ears :-}!

From: cosmacelf@groups.io [mailto:cosmacelf@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Runkle (Astrorat)
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2020 11:11 PM
To: cosmacelf@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] IDE-to-CF Adapter for Pico/ELF?

I have used both of your suggested boards in my Retro Elf project with good success. All my Retro Elfs along with my Elf 2K are using this IDE-to-SD adapter. The only thing you should note is the IDE-SD adapter will run on 5-volt logic BUT the interface signals are only at 3.3-volt high logic levels. After many frustrating hours debugging unstable logic issues and high frequency noise causing false signaling, I ended up creating a 3.3-volt to 5-volt logic interface buffer board with a basic high frequency cut-off filtering. This did the trick and I have had no issues now on my three Retro Elfs, my Elf 2K and some others who also built the Retro Elf project with the IDE interface.

I use Mike's Elf/OS for all my systems. If you wish to see what I did, have a look at my web site at this link http://www.astrorat.com/cosmacelf/retroelfproject.html.

I hope this helps you out.

Dave Runkle - KC0KEP

Arthur Elsenaar

Looking at the IDE-CF adapter boards on AliExpress, there are plenty of these available, but the one you listed has pretty poor soldering done on them. This doesn't instil much confidence..
Has anyone tried any of the others available?

Arthur

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Monday, August 17, 2020 5:59 AM, Mike McLaren, K8LH <k8lh@...> wrote: