From: John
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2019 10:47 PM
Subject: [cosmacelf] Happy discovery

Hi All,

Tonight I was clearing out a cupboard so we can use it to store camping equipment. I found an old Cadbury's Roses chocolates tin with an assortment of ICs (sadly no chocolates) in it. These included three CDP1854s and a CDP1802ACE all by RCA.

Can anyone help me to put a date to these? The MPU is marked CDP1802ACE RCA Z 549 on the top and 6FVZA W6963 on the underside. The CDP1854AE also has RCA Z 549 on the top and 6ANZA W6917 underneath. The two CDP1854AEXs are marked RCA Z 532 and 706 on top and 6ANLO G8549 underneath (the other is illegible).

I've never used any of these. They must have been given to me sometime, maybe by someone at the radio club.

MAR1E the Elf is having a rest at the moment as other jobs have taken priority. I was hoping she'd be joined by another Elf, JUL1A or JUL1E depending on whether she was working by July 26th or 30th but as I haven't started building yet it's unlikely to happen this year.

Best regards,

John, Nottingham

Virusfritt. www.avast.com

John

Wow! Really early specimens then. Thanks Magnus.

I can test the 1802 easily, the 1854s not so.

Best regards,

John

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 at 21:54, Magnus Kesselmark <tubes@...> wrote:
Let’s trade your chips with some Swedish ... or Swiss ... ???? chocolate!!!! <wink>

/Magnus

PS. The markings use to be year and week, so 549 means 1975 w49 etc.

[...]

Magnus Kesselmark

Missed a word: ‘could’ – they could be be from 1975 ... (were they made in the 80’s??)

To test 1802s, there’s  a simple set-up with some LEDs connected to the address pins a solderless breadboard and hardwire the NOP code to the data inputs.

And I have way too many 1802 so I won’t trade my chocolate ...

/Magnus

[...]

ian may

With respect to the plastic packaged CDP1802ACE, the first 1802 data sheet to list a plastic package is dated 6/79 and states that it supersedes the 2/78 data sheet (which only lists a ceramic package). That likely means that the earliest plastic devices were made after 2/78 so the "549" on your chip probably indicates 1985 week 49. Regarding the numbers and letters on the underside, from my observations the letters after the leading "6" increment through the alphabet with time. They are not unique but their meaning remains unknown to me.
Cheers, Ian.

John

Thanks Ian. That probably means I'll plug it into a socket and use it, rather than framing it and hanging it on the wall.

Best regards,

John

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019, 08:50 ian may via Groups.Io, <fps16xn3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
With respect to the plastic packaged CDP1802ACE, the first 1802 data sheet to list a plastic package is dated 6/79 and states that it supersedes the 2/78 data sheet (which only lists a ceramic package). That likely means that the earliest plastic devices were made after 2/78 so the "549" on your chip probably indicates 1985 week 49. Regarding the numbers and letters on the underside, from my observations the letters after the leading "6" increment through the alphabet with time. They are not unique but their meaning remains unknown to me.
Cheers, Ian.

Magnus Kesselmark

THAT could be cool! I mean frame the computer and hang it on the wall but fully working. A remote kbd and a large display on the walled computer could do the trick!

/M